Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

We've reportedly got the gargantuan war chest of £8m (after the Cole and senderos signings)

i can see us spending it and think pl will have some of the fees from any sales made.

twatter rumours tonight suggest soton are bidding for vlaar. Would rather keep him, but what price would be realistically too good to turn down? £8m plus?

The thing is what decent player is going to join a club where the owner and manager could potentially change in the near future?

I think only older players with no other real options will be joining this summer.

We've reportedly got the gargantuan war chest of £8m (after the Cole and senderos signings)

i can see us spending it and think pl will have some of the fees from any sales made.

twatter rumours tonight suggest soton are bidding for vlaar. Would rather keep him, but what price would be realistically too good to turn down? £8m plus?

If someone wants to pay £8m for him, and we could definitely reinvest it, I'd probably take that.

• Like 2

If someone wants to pay £8m for him, and we could definitely reinvest it, I'd probably take that.

sadly, i think the club would too. :'(

Great!

Spend it all on yet another back-up striker and our journey towards the dark side will be complete!

I very much doubt that anybody barring Lambert/the board know how much he has to spend - least of all the public/press.

Two 5mil players would make a big difference to us though, I think.

• Like 1

I very much doubt that anybody barring Lambert/the board know how much he has to spend - least of all the public/press.

Two 5M players? Sorry but after three years of underinvestment in the team to think that two 5M players is all we need is basically a tad naive. 

What does 5M get you in this division? Not much and when relegated teams are spending way in excess of that just trying to survive it shows that 5M these days just doesnt cut it.  I'm afraid that's the nature of the game we are in. We have a squad of players that is around 17th in this league to top 8 in the next division down in terms of quality in my opinion and two 5m players will not rescue that.  We need major investment and major overhaul of the playing squad and two 5M players is tantamount to getting an elastaplast and trying to fix a bullet wound.

• Like 4

Two 5M players? Sorry but after three years of underinvestment in the team to think that two 5M players is all we need is basically a tad naive. 

What does 5M get you in this division? Not much and when relegated teams are spending way in excess of that just trying to survive it shows that 5M these days just doesnt cut it.  I'm afraid that's the nature of the game we are in. We have a squad of players that is around 17th in this league to top 8 in the next division down in terms of quality in my opinion and two 5m players will not rescue that.  We need major investment and major overhaul of the playing squad and two 5M players is tantamount to getting an elastaplast and trying to fix a bullet wound.

Vlaar and Benteke cost under 10 million (combined)

If your shrewd you can get a lot for 10 million.

• Like 3

What does 5M get you in this division? Not much and when relegated teams are spending way in excess of that just trying to survive it shows that 5M these days just doesnt cut it. I'm afraid that's the nature of the game we are in. We have a squad of players that is around 17th in this league to top 8 in the next division down in terms of quality in my opinion and two 5m players will not rescue that. We need major investment and major overhaul of the playing squad and two 5M players is tantamount to getting an elastaplast and trying to fix a bullet wound.

I didn't say that it was all we needed but as was pointed out above, think of the difference another couple of players of Vlaar and Benteke's level would make. We narrowly missed 10th last season and that was more to do with injuries than quality - our squad really isn't as bad as you're trying to make it out to be.

• Like 1

Vlaar cost under £5m so bargains can be found. I tend to ignore what the press are speculating. Honestly, in terms of the current situation, I do not think we'll be seeing big transfers until the ownership issue is resolved.

• Like 1

How come we wasn't relegated last season then? Saying our squad is of a certain standard is a load of crap as we have a young squad that will develop. I haven't said get better but develop! Fulham had a squad of old pros who were crap that's one reason they went down. Our form in 2013 was top 8/10 unfortunately either side of that we were awful. We needed exp that has been rectified now we a couple of players of real quality to add to it. As pointed out they are out there and every time Lambert has spent more than a couple of million he has found them. If he has £20m for 3 players I'd be very happy for him to end it but spending £20m on 5/6 is what's put us where we are.

To be honest, on paper I'd expect the USA to beat us very cleanly. 

I don't think the US have the best players in the world, their athleticism, work rate and team spirit is behind most of their success but they certainly do have a handful of players with genuine ability. 

What does 5M get you in this division? Not much and when relegated teams are spending way in excess of that just trying to survive it shows that 5M these days just doesnt cut it. I'm afraid that's the nature of the game we are in. We have a squad of players that is around 17th in this league to top 8 in the next division down in terms of quality in my opinion and two 5m players will not rescue that. We need major investment and major overhaul of the playing squad and two 5M players is tantamount to getting an elastaplast and trying to fix a bullet wound.

I didn't say that it was all we needed but as was pointed out above, think of the difference another couple of players of Vlaar and Benteke's level would make. We narrowly missed 10th last season and that was more to do with injuries than quality - our squad really isn't as bad as you're trying to make it out to be.

We would have required an extra 12 points to finish 10th. We averaged 1 point a game. I'm not sure how you can claim we narrowly missed out on 10th.

• Like 2

USA do so well due to their camaraderie and immense team spirit. This offsets the lack of ability.

I mean on paper you'd even fancy Villa to beat them.

In fact, the USA do well because they have good players.

I made this comment on the back of players like Bradley not being good enough for Villa and Beasley not being much cop at Rangers. That would suggest otherwise.

I have been impressed with them at this World Cup though.