Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

Our summer transfer budget has been destroyed by the Benteke injury in all reality hasnt it?

I suppose that is one way to look at it but I just hope he is still the same player when he comes back, still a £20m+ striker with ease IMO. If he hadn't have got injured he would have got a fair few more goals last season.

Our summer transfer budget has been destroyed by the Benteke injury in all reality hasnt it?

No, it has been destroyed by nearly a decade of mismanagement.

Another way to look at it, although I think what he is getting at is Lambert would have got whatever money we'd have sold Benteke for.

I suppose that is one way to look at it but I just hope he is still the same player when he comes back, still a £20m+ striker with ease IMO. If he hadn't have got injured he would have got a fair few more goals last season.

No, it has been destroyed by nearly a decade of mismanagement.

Another way to look at it, although I think what he is getting at is Lambert would have got whatever money we'd have sold Benteke for.

I thought it was destroyed as our current owner wants to sell? And seeing as he invested in every previous summer I'd say that's nearer the mark.

• Like 1

One of the local journos has just said a few interesting things on twitter...

1) All interest in Lescott has now ended as he was delaying to look at all options so we signed Senderos instead

2) All early business is done

3) more signings are expected. Left Back and holding midfielder priorities

As per my post in the Bendtner thread, I worry about a lack of goals in our team. Now I am not saying Bendtner is the answer, I just think it is an area where we also need a player. Yes we need a LB and holding midfielder as well as per above post, but our lack of goals last season was horrendous. How many games did we fail to score in? With our over reliance on Benteke over the last two years and a big question mark over when/if he will return to full fitness, I worry about where our goals are going to come from. The end of last season was painful, and if we start the new season like that then we are probably going down.

• Like 1

As per my post in the Bendtner thread, I worry about a lack of goals in our team. Now I am not saying Bendtner is the answer, I just think it is an area where we also need a player. Yes we need a LB and holding midfielder as well as per above post, but our lack of goals last season was horrendous. How many games did we fail to score in? With our over reliance on Benteke over the last two years and a big question mark over when/if he will return to full fitness, I worry about where our goals are going to come from. The end of last season was painful, and if we start the new season like that then we are probably going down.

Well I guess the hope is that Joe Cole will resolve the issue of goals. Our problem isn't necessarily that the strikers are bad, it's that we struggle to supply them with anything when Benteke isn't on the pitch to make something out of nothing. One of our biggest defensive problems is our lack defensive midfielder IMO. When our full backs push forward, we don't have a defensive minded midfielder who has the intelligence to drop back and give cover in the space left by the full back has pushing forward. 

I've said a million times, the biggest problem with Villa is that we have no players that can play between the lines. With Joe Cole we have the players who can help us offensively, we really need a defensive player now. If we can bring in a half decent defensive midfielder we'll be absolutely fine next season. Big "if" though.

Edited by PieFacE

Well I guess the hope is that Joe Cole will resolve the issue of goals. Our problem isn't necessarily that the strikers are bad, it's that we struggle to supply them with anything when Benteke isn't on the pitch to make something out of nothing. One of our biggest defensive problems is our lack defensive midfielder IMO. When our full backs push forward, we don't have a defensive minded midfielder who has the intelligence to drop back and give cover in the space left by the full back has pushing forward. 

I've said a million times, the biggest problem with Villa is that we have no players that can play between the lines. With Joe Cole we have the players who can help us offensively, we really need a defensive player now. If we can bring in a half decent defensive midfielder we'll be absolutely fine next season. Big "if" though.

Yes I agree that Joe Cole is a start to solving our problems, and I agree that a holding midfielder would make us a lot more solid, even to the point that it may make our LB position look more secure with decent cover. It just concerns me that we are going into the season relying on Gabby as our main source of goals, and he has never been a regular goal scorer. Every season to date even when we had Young, Milner etc supplying the ammo, he has had real dry spells in front of goal that last months. We cannot afford that.

The big question:

Is Senderos and Cole better than Collins and Ireland?

The latter two were a pair of ***** anyway, who had no interest in being a professional at this club so good riddance.

Also, Ireland and Collins were robbing us of over £100k a week so give me Cole and Senderos as squad options anyday.

If we do sign a left back and a holding midfielder, and bring back the bomb squad, then we will finish comfortably mid table imo.

I'd like to think that but I think we have other concerns.

We don't have someone we can rely on scoring enough goals. With benteke and kozak coming back from injuries I'll think we'll struggle to score.

We have a manager who struggled last year and I worry fans will be on his back if things don't start well.

And although okore will be back and we've signed senderos I don't think we're organised enough at the back.

If we do sign a left back and a holding midfielder, and bring back the bomb squad, then we will finish comfortably mid table imo.

We don't have someone we can rely on scoring enough goals. With benteke and kozak coming back from injuries I'll think we'll struggle to score.

We have a manager who struggled last year and I worry fans will be on his back if things don't start well.

And although okore will be back and we've signed senderos I don't think we're organised enough at the back.

Give bent some decent supply and he will score goals as he did when young and downing were about.

I think if we can get Nzogbia and Cole fit and playing we should be able to provide DB if he stays

Give bent some decent supply and he will score goals as he did when young and downing were about.

I think if we can get Nzogbia and Cole fit and playing we should be able to provide DB if he stays

I'm not sure the supply is good enough.

The big question:

Is Senderos and Cole better than Collins and Ireland?

yes, by a million miles

I'm not so sure its that obvious. I think both Collins and Ireland will be regulars for two teams who will probably finish above us.

Cole and senderos are where we are right now and they're decent for the role we need them for.

If we do sign a decent left back and defensive midfielder then our team won't look too bad especially with the bomb squad returning plus okore and Kozak back from long term injuries