Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

Dodgyknees

They really need a win and this is a must not lose game for us after the West Ham defeat. I think if we go for them and get the crucial first goal we can win this one or at least get a point. But if we sit back and surrender possesion this could turn out to be another defeat in a 6-pointer and would leave their manager happy about his decision to join them after turning down us. Win it Villa!   

You know

No. Our midfield doesn't create much. Lowton was excellent last season, particularly creatively. Benteke looks a bigger threat IMO when Lowton bombs forward. Lowton has been caught out too many times defensively this season and Bacuna is a better defender. We clearly need to try something. I think Lowton will end up playing in Midfield (as his best position) either centrally or RM and I think this would work.
  • Like 1

Playing full backs in midfield is a bit desperate to be honest . How about play Albrighton

Well maybe full back isn't his best position. Plenty of players change position during their career. Half our team have played in 2 or 3 positions this season. Lowton's better in the opposition half.

And yes I would play Albrighton RM

Edited by Matt1874

Playing full backs in midfield is a bit desperate to be honest . How about play Albrighton

I'd normally agree but I'm not sure Lowton has found his position yet. Gareth Barry started at left back and excelled when moved into midfield.
  • Like 1

Cardiff are on a terrible run and don't score many, so we'll lose 2-0, ending a team's bad spell is what we do.

I predict our midfield being overrun and the 2 clowns at CB giving everyone a circus performance to remember (the sooner Vlaar is back for a run of games and Okore too, the better).

I also predict Guzan hanging his head wondering what he's done to deserve such a poor back line in front of him.

As always, I'm more than happy to he proved wrong!

To me it has mattered less and less what formation we line up in. We always morph into two undisciplined blobs.

If the opponent has the ball, our center mids have to cover the flanks because our spacing isn't correct and two strikers play up top very removed from the midfield.

If we have the ball, our strikers stand five feet next to each other while Westwood and Delph pass it around nowhere near the box. Our fullbacks receive the ball really isolated and just look for a way to pass it back. Rinse and repeat.

Unless we transition quickly, our formations turn into both of those.

Not looking forward to this game at all, or the six-hour round trip to Wales either. Cardiff are going to be licking their lips at the fact our back four could be Lowton, Clark, Baker and Bennett or back three, Lowton, Clark and Baker. 

Would either play exactly what we did against Liverpool at Anfield, utilising the diamond in midfield with Weimann sitting in the number ten position or the trialled and tested 4-3-3 that always works away from home on the counter.

4-1-2-1-1-1: Guzan, Lowton, Clark, Baker, Bennett, Westwood, Delph, Bacuna, Weimann, Gabby and Benteke or

4-3-3: Guzan, Lowton, Clark, Baker, Bennett, Westwood, Delph, Bacuna, Gabby, Albrighton and Benteke.

We will probably instead see a 3-5-2 with Holt and Benteke up front and Albrighton on the bench  :angry:

Edited by Avflife

I really don't think Lambert has faith in our defence when Vlaar isn't playing.

He then focuses too much on protecting them and we lose the one strong aspect of our team and that's our forwards.

When we go out with that attacking mentality we're a side to be reckoned with, like against Liverpool.

Got to go for it tonight or we will lose, it's no good waiting until we're 2-0 down before changing it.

I really don't think Lambert has faith in our defence when Vlaar isn't playing.

He then focuses too much on protecting them and we lose the one strong aspect of our team and that's our forwards.

When we go out with that attacking mentality we're a side to be reckoned with, like against Liverpool.

Got to go for it tonight or we will lose, it's no good waiting until we're 2-0 down before changing it.

Agreed.