Jose Mourinho

TRO

Do you mean for Chelsea, or for us?  

If it's for Chelsea; well, they have one of the most expensively assembled squads in the history of the sport and pretty much every player in it can be relied upon to perform to the very highest standard week in, week out.  

If it's for us then give the club £800m for new signings and wages to last the next three years.  Maybe we can qualify for the Champions League. 

I'm trying not to be facetious here but it's incredibly difficult when you point out that the most successful manager of the past decade working with a squad which is the envy of almost everybody in world football has found some kind of winning formula.  What next? Rory Delap has a long throw? 

• Like 2

Wait, a 4-2-3-1?

You're off your head, mate. No mortal could conceive of such black magic.[/quote

If you read the posts on this site.....rarely would you see anyone suggesting 2 DMs.....we seem to be always promoting attackers.... I was trying to suggest an alternative view that was used to good effect by the best manager in world football.....if it's good enough for him it might be good enough for us ...was the thoughts.

But your sarcasm is actually entertaining.

Edited by TRO

I can never work out why he has a Russian accent.

OT, but many say that Portuguese sounds like Spanish spoken with a Russian accent. Tim Vickery from BBC's World Football Phone-In, who is a fluent speaker of Brazilian-Portuguese, often remarks on how Brazilians find that European Portuguese is almost unintelligible due to the accent.

The Arsenal 'invincibles' team used to play 4-4-2 with 4 defenders, 2 defensive mids in Gilberto and Viera then 4 attacking forwards, two wide and two up top.

It seems like a similar variation.

And that was just a variation on the great Milan side of 88-94. Two DMs is nothing new.

Talk about going from the ridiculous to the sublime.

Isn't it quite obvious that their squad is a small fortune and all the rationale that goes with it...even with a 5million pound centre half, oh sorry for the irony.....well that's what we got anyway.

The idea of the post was not to be smart, but to highlight an alternative approach for us, not Chelsea, that might, might, might help us not concede in the last 20minutes of a game and lose when we are on top and protect the centre halves.

I do not have the answers and neither does anyone else, but a mere suggestion, was all it was, seems in some quarters the failure to sign players has changed the mood.

May I remind some that playing a big no9 was a traditional approach to the striker position, but then messi came along and the small elusive striker was becoming the latest trend, Suarez us another example....that does not mean other clubs with players not as good as messi can't at least try it.

Keep an open mind, it be surprising what you might find.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Do you mean for Chelsea, or for us?  

If it's for Chelsea; well, they have one of the most expensively assembled squads in the history of the sport and pretty much every player in it can be relied upon to perform to the very highest standard week in, week out.  

If it's for us then give the club £800m for new signings and wages to last the next three years.  Maybe we can qualify for the Champions League. 

I'm trying not to be facetious here but it's incredibly difficult when you point out that the most successful manager of the past decade working with a squad which is the envy of almost everybody in world football has found some kind of winning formula.  What next? Rory Delap has a long throw?

For us,....... but I'm quite aware of the quality of Chelsea, but even they have to face the same disparity as us at times like in their euro final....when they or Man U face better equipped teams they have think in terms of strategy in exactly the same way as we do.

We had to put our thinking cap on when we beat a Man U in the league cup final when Fenton was the trick up our sleeve.

I was'nt trying to reinvent the wheel, merely raising a talking point seems in some quarters I got one.

We all know the difference in class is a big gap to make up......but you have to make the best of what you have got.

Or throw the towel in.

The Arsenal 'invincibles' team used to play 4-4-2 with 4 defenders, 2 defensive mids in Gilberto and Viera then 4 attacking forwards, two wide and two up top.

It seems like a similar variation.

And that was just a variation on the great Milan side of 88-94. Two DMs is nothing new.

I never said it was, I posted to that effect that LIverpool played it to a degree with sourness and case, all those years ago, nothing really is new in football, it's a mature game.

I did say ideally we havn't got the right player to play it, but we could give it a try.

I was making a suggestion not a fervent committed statement of fact.

I can never work out why he has a Russian accent.

OT, but many say that Portuguese sounds like Spanish spoken with a Russian accent. Tim Vickery from BBC's World Football Phone-In, who is a fluent speaker of Brazilian-Portuguese, often remarks on how Brazilians find that European Portuguese is almost unintelligible due to the accent.

Thank God for that, I thought Abramovich was working him!

Is Mourinho a great tactician because he can stop teams or is he a tactician that is lacking because he can't make teams that others want to stop?

Does he not have the ability to coach great attacking teams and players that draws plaudits? That's what I want to see. I'd rather watch Arsenal or Man City anyday over Chelsea.

Edited by Mr_Dogg

Is Mourinho a great tactician because he can stop teams or is he a tactician that is lacking because he can't make teams that others want to stop?

Does he not have the ability to coach great attacking teams and players that draws plaudits? That's what I want to see. I'd rather watch Arsenal or Man City anyday over Chelsea.

I'd rather watch a Mourinho Madrid than Arsenal

Mourinho's Madrid scored an average of 109 league goals, including 121 in a season - when was the last time you saw a team score like that? He can clearly play attacking and with stars. His biggest strength is that he isn't naive. Obviously every coach makes mistakes, but he's not going to fool himself into thinking he can outplay a side with better players than his, but him being such a great tactician allows him to find ways to beat teams in others ways.

• Like 1

Â