Jose Mourinho

TRO

I remember when Cech got his head injury, he said when he visited him in hospital he would speak to him in English then switch language and then switch again (he did say which languages) to see if Cech would follow, which he did.

I just saw the clip. I didn't know he spoke French too. I make that Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, English and French. Impressive.

I'm not trying to shit on the bloke or anything, I can barely speak English but I think it is quite common for speakers of romance languages (ones decended from Latin, such as French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and Romanian)  to have a level of mutual intelligibility with each other which makes learning the others when you grew up with one much easier than if you come to them from, say, English or German.  Spanish and Italian are practically the same language. 

• Like 1

Just seen on BBC Sport that Moaninho wants Fulham to stay up and wouldn't be sad if Chelsea lose to them - as long as they still win the title.

Better not **** up now, Jose.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a case of mourinho being honest, and he's bang on. The premier league does nothing to give little advantages to the teams playing in Europe, some of the scheduling is just stupid. I'm on my phone, so I'll edit this post to include the article and not just a link per the guidelines when I get home.

http://m.espn.go.com/soccer/story?storyId=1750951&section=soccernetfrontpage-us

This is a case of mourinho being honest, and he's bang on. The premier league does nothing to give little advantages to the teams playing in Europe, some of the scheduling is just stupid. I'm on my phone, so I'll edit this post to include the article and not just a link per the guidelines when I get home.

http://m.espn.go.com/soccer/story?storyId=1750951&section=soccernetfrontpage-us

Mou: Prem hurts clubs' European hopes

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho believes England's top clubs are being handicapped in the Champions League by the illogical scheduling of Premier League matches.

While many national associations strive to aide their clubs when they are preparing for high-profile European games, England's elite are often handed fixture dates and times that appear to hand their rivals an advantage in the Champions League.

Now Mourinho has called on the Premier League's decision makers to change their mentality and hand their clubs more advantages in a bid to bolster European ambitions that have been floundering in the last couple of seasons.

"Do people not care that English teams are struggling in Europe?" asked the Chelsea boss. "Why don't they? I care. Television deserves to be powerful because, without them, nothing would be the same, but there is space in the calendar that could be filled with communication.

"They should ask the players if it's the same, having two or three days to prepare. Ask [Didier] Drogba on Monday: is it the same for him to play on Friday ahead of the trip to London, or on Saturday with the game coming up on Tuesday?

"I don’t understand why Galatasaray can play on Friday [this week] and we have to play on Saturday. If we played at 7:45 p.m. on a Friday night, it makes a difference to whom?

"Fewer spectators at Villa Park? I don't think so. It'd still be a full-house and for television? It wouldn't make a difference. It would be the only match, so the [ratings] share would be fantastic.

"Would it be good for English football and for Chelsea? Yes, but I'm trying to get this for all of us, not just for me. For example, I don't understand why Manchester City, a team who must come from Europe on Wednesday night, must play at 12:45 p.m. on Saturday.

"Why did they have to play Wigan [in the FA Cup quarter-final] on Sunday when Barcelona had played Saturday and had the extra day [for Wednesday’s game between the sides]?

"If we must all play on Saturday, why not play us at 12.45pm and them at 5.30pm? We have an extra 'day’ to recover, and so would they. I think everyone would agree on that but there is something in this country that goes outside my understanding. I don't understand."

No Premier League team progressed to the quarter-finals of last season's Champions League and there is a danger the same scenario could transpire as after Arsenal and Manchester City went out of the competition earlier this week, with Chelsea and Manchester United facing tricky second-leg last-16 ties against Galatasaray and Olympiacos next week.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1750951/jose-mourinho-says-premier-league-scheduling-hurts-teams-champions-league?src=mobile&cc=5739

Edited by AVFCforever1991

It's because the Premier League is run for the benefit of Sky, not for the benefit of the clubs themselves.

This is a curious sentiment. Sky would no doubt jump at the chance to broadcast Premier League games on a Friday night. They'd have a game to broadcast every night of the week if they had their way.

• Like 1

Â