Wes Hoolahan

LockStockVilla

Its a decent short term signing. I'd hope to get better in the summer and have wes improve the squad

Exactly this.  Decent short term signing in a position we've got nothing going for us.  Same as Bertrand on loan, same as Holt on loan.  For a January window with not much cash (supposedly), these are all decent short term signings.

I've always thought this was the way we're going, though;

a) Sack off high earners

B) Replace almost entire squad with cheap, sustainable squad

c) Add cheap quality into squad where it's lacking

d) Inject more expensive quality into self-sufficient club

It's a long term project, which most people (I think?) have accepted and it looks as if we're slowly shifting away from the utterly shit part of it.

I thought we entered that phase towards the end of last season, then it went a bit dire again. Injury to Vlaar/Benteke and we're back in the utterly shit part again. 

Wes would certainly take the edge of the utterly shit part if it cropped up again. 

By the "utterly shit part", I mean in terms of transfer dealings and the infamous budget.  I'm only speculating, but it looks as if we've shifted the expensive stuff which (in theory in theory in theory) means that we'll be able to add more quality now.  I'm thinking it'll happen in the summer and, as BJ says, Hoolahan would be a decent short term signing for this period.

• Like 1

By the "utterly shit part", I mean in terms of transfer dealings and the infamous budget.  I'm only speculating, but it looks as if we've shifted the expensive stuff which (in theory in theory in theory) means that we'll be able to add more quality now.  I'm thinking it'll happen in the summer and, as BJ says, Hoolahan would be a decent short term signing for this period.

Not really short term if we are signing him, not loaning him.

A 31 year old.  If we give him a Shay Given contract I'll cry but, other than that, can't see it being anywhere beyond 3 years.  Max.

I know he's not a very exciting signing for some but if Lambert has only got a few pennies to spend in January, I can't really think of anyone better unless we go down the young/untried route again.

We haven't got anyone in the squad who is good at playing in the space between midfield and attack and whilst I don't think he will score loads or assist loads, I think he will do a good job of knitting things together and give the midfield and defence a better passing option and therefore

Improving our ball retention.

Good player and hope we can get him

• Like 2

I know he's not a very exciting signing for some but if Lambert has only got a few pennies to spend in January, I can't really think of anyone better unless we go down the young/untried route again.

We haven't got anyone in the squad who is good at playing in the space between midfield and attack and whilst I don't think he will score loads or assist loads, I think he will do a good job of knitting things together and give the midfield and defence a better passing option and therefore

Improving our ball retention.

Good player and hope we can get him

Agree with this, pretty much sums up my thought on it as well

I think Lambo is also concerned about bringing youth in to a team that is inconsistent, when points are crucial and paramount....a player like Wes Hoolahan can help ease the pressure on the kids and inspire them at BMH ready for them to challenge for a place.

Maybe not the ideal player in a perfect situation, but good for us right now in a non - perfect situation.

horses for courses and all that.

Edited by TRO

If this goes down to transfer deadline day I hope we have moved on to another target or at least have a plan B on the day because if we end up after Janurary having secured just 2 loans it will be a disaster of a window.

Or more likely that WH will be the main AM which will allow a young and hungry trier to be developed to take his place.

Very much this. We aren't going to hand a 31 year old a 2/3 year contract and then have him as a back up. This is it folks.

Or more likely that WH will be the main AM which will allow a young and hungry trier to be developed to take his place.

Very much this. We aren't going to hand a 31 year old a 2/3 year contract and then have him as a back up. This is it folks.

yes and in the summer we will be looking to invest in someone a bit younger and better than WH

• Like 1

A 31 year old.  If we give him a Shay Given contract I'll cry but, other than that, can't see it being anywhere beyond 3 years.  Max.

Like I said, probably something like 3 years, not short term.

Â