Wes Hoolahan

LockStockVilla

im aware that we need experience in the team, but this certainly isnt it, id prefer to see gardner, carruthers or grealish given a chance (when both returned from loan)

this is clearly a waste of money, any player bought from norwich, or even over the age of 28 is a waste of money, which villa cant do

lamberts signings started off good, now theyre getting worst, the guy has lost it already

i really dont want to see this as a signing but unfortunately going to have to accept it

• Like 1

Are we even signing him though?

If he signs for 1 or 2 mill, and plays a part in us finishing a few places up the table then his fee is paid for right there. If he manages to repeat the trick next year whilst competing for a place with Gardner and Carruthers etc. then that's his wages paid for too :P

Would be a fabulous signing. Hope it comes off

I think fabulous is a bit much. While he's better than what we have he's a 31 year old who isn't wanted by a struggling team below us.

He is a very good player. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by him (should he sign).

• Like 1

I think fabulous is a bit much. While he's better than what we have he's a 31 year old who isn't wanted by a struggling team below us.

He is a very good player. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by him (should he sign).

I don't think I'll be surprised. I know he's decent and I remember him playing well at villa park last year.

• Like 1

Bah humbug John !

He's better than anything we have,  the fact that the appallingly bad Hughton doesn't pick him is not our fault or concern.

• Like 1

I know he's better than what we have. But in all honesty would you be happy with him as our main AM starting next season?

Hard to judge without seeing how he does for the rest of this really, isn't it? Perhaps - assuming he does sign - we could give him a chance.

I know he's better than what we have. But in all honesty would you be happy with him as our main AM starting next season?

I'm not convinced he will be but for now it is a good signing for us

I'm not convinced he will be but for now it is a good signing for us

Its a decent short term signing. I'd hope to get better in the summer and have wes improve the squad

Fabulous...   

Very Good...

Decent.

I think we've hit the right level there. Personally hope he signs because he was always very effective for Naaarch and would be a handy addition to the squad.

Shame about all the usual Naaarch transfer power-play, though.

I think I would actually.

That's not to say he's the best player we should be aspiring to. But for a season as our main AM player, yeah I'd be fine with that.

I really do think he's a good player and I think he'll surprise a lot of people (not necessarily you)

I think I would actually.

That's not to say he's the best player we should be aspiring to. But for a season as our main AM player, yeah I'd be fine with that.

I really do think he's a good player and I think he'll surprise a lot of people (not necessarily you)

I guess it comes down to what the owner will allow. If the budget is still limited then yes he'll be fine for a year. I'm hoping though that with more backing and the potential sale of benteke that we could sign some real quality in that position.

I'll be happy if we sign him for the correct price

But i won't lie i'm secretly hoping we move onto another target as i really do not want us to pay through the nose for him as it looks like that's the only way were going to get him

If he is only a stopgap until the summer it would make no sense to waste loads on him.

Kiyotake would be my number one target in the summer

Edited by AshVilla

Its a decent short term signing. I'd hope to get better in the summer and have wes improve the squad

Exactly this.  Decent short term signing in a position we've got nothing going for us.  Same as Bertrand on loan, same as Holt on loan.  For a January window with not much cash (supposedly), these are all decent short term signings.

I've always thought this was the way we're going, though;

a) Sack off high earners

B) Replace almost entire squad with cheap, sustainable squad

c) Add cheap quality into squad where it's lacking

d) Inject more expensive quality into self-sufficient club

It's a long term project, which most people (I think?) have accepted and it looks as if we're slowly shifting away from the utterly shit part of it.

Â