Why Paul Lambert should get the sack

Jonoridge91

We underachieved with Mcleish because he was a shite manager.

If you think one relegation battle with all the worst stats possible and on the way to repeating that again backed by even worse stats such as winning 15 in 55 and then stating Lambert has overachieved then good luck and as I have already proven you don't have to have a big budget to play better football than we currently are. 

I'm not arguing with you if you're abandoning punctuation - it's hard enough to understand what you're on about at the best of times

Off to the pub to watch the game, then out for a curry so won't be able to respond to your witty retorts for the rest of the day

Happy Christmas

You will note in previous posts that I did specify 'significantly.' It would have to be significantly more to prove your point which was better wages equates to better performance.

Unfortunately unless you are one of the top four and have bucket loads to spend you can still compete with a lower budget if you have the right manager at the helm and no I don't mean competing within the top four but actually producing football and results that will keep the fans happy until we get to the end of yet another five year plan. 

So far Lambert's performance has been on a par with the worst manager this club has seen and there is no more terrible indictment than that. 

Only in your (as always fair-minded) opinion. More is more - a £15k a week player should be better than a £10k a week player, a £20k a week player should be better than both of them. Huddlestone is a £60k a week player, for example, that would make a world of difference to our midfield but he is out of our price range

If you think Lambert is no better than McL you're 100% wrong but that's up to you

Wages = Performance

valueindex1.png

Complete rubbish as usual and i'll use just one example.

What is Darren Bent being paid in comparison to Benteke?

valueindex1.png

This shows how bad we were under McL. 

This season I would guess we are top half, maybe top quartile

Let's see what happens when we (hopefully) start spending some money again

Lambert has already spent 42m and I will be very interested to see you pull a comparison stat when our next set of fixtures are over.

£42m on a squad of players that, if sold, would be worth more than that, costing 'peanuts' in premier league terms.  Those that don't work out can be shipeed out quite easily IMO.

That's step 1.  Step 2 needs to be a plan to add a bit of quality to that squad, thus resulting in a team that's still inexpensive to maintain, but can play good, attacking football.

We're going through a rough patch, but rarely does building something go smoothly.

I think Lambert is now playing a very dangerous game. Publically at least he is setting the bar very low. Both on the pitch after the game and in interviews he genuinely seemed really pleased that we had just achieved a draw at home against a Swansea side in poor form and one point above us. A draw that was achieved with some of the most negative football I have seen since we played Utd at home under McLeish.

He has stated that we are halfway there - halfway to 40 points. He has stated we are struggling because we are missing big players and included in that list Joe Bennett. Missing Vlaar, Benteke, Bennett and Okore as an excuse for the utter tripe we have been serving up for months is an insult to peoples intelligence. We have been serving up tripe since way before Vlaar and Bentke were injured. I'd accept we secured a few more points but the performances have been very poor for most of the season. Injuries are also part and parcel of the game. It should also be remembered that three of the so called big players missing are defenders and for me it is offensively where we simply cannot retain possession where were are really struggling.

Things need to improve and improve quickly starting at Sunderland on Wednesday. I don't want to see Lambert sacked but he is drinking in last chance saloon for me now. I want him to prove that I was right to want him to replace both Houllier and McLeish and to start repaying the faith thousands of us fans have shown in him. He has had way more grace and favor given the crap served up than any Villa manager I can remember and he needs to embrace what little is left and get his team playing in a more positive manner. It would also help if he stopped setting the bar so low and demanded more of his team and from the owner.

Lerner will need to play his part and back his manager and with that backing Lambert needs to bring in two or three players, whether permanent or loans, of proven quality and a bit of nous at this level. No more young, hungry and hopefully one day good enough bollocks. It simply isn't working.

To those that want him out now though I can't argue with that. He is on borrowed time with me and it is little more than blind faith and a fear of who the owner would choose to follow him that hasn't got me screaming for his head.

Great post Mark.

I am also concerned about how Lerner would replace him if he parted company. However, I also wonder how we could possibly be any worse to watch?!

We underachieved with Mcleish because he was a shite manager.

If you think one relegation battle with all the worst stats possible and on the way to repeating that again backed by even worse stats such as winning 15 in 55 and then stating Lambert has overachieved then good luck and as I have already proven you don't have to have a big budget to play better football than we currently are. 

I'm not arguing with you if you're abandoning punctuation - it's hard enough to understand what you're on about at the best of times

Off to the pub to watch the game, then out for a curry so won't be able to respond to your witty retorts for the rest of the day

Happy Christmas

Maybe you should try answering the questions posed to you rather than, yet again, running out on a debate.

Our style of football is on par if not worse than what McLeish served up. The fact the players cost less is no reason to accept what's served up.

True. It's terrible at the moment.

I believe however that Lambert and this team have shown they can do better.  If this was Lambert at his peak then I'd be more worried, but at Norwich and the end of last season (and the start of this season), he's shown that his teams can play some good football.

If doesn't help that we are so badly lacking in quality, and 2 of our best players are out of the team at the moment. When they're back and fully fit, and we can't play better football - especially if we add at least a competent AM in Jan, then something will seriously be wrong.  Vlaar and Benteke are huge misses for us and not to be underestimated.

Our style of football is on par if not worse than what McLeish served up. The fact the players cost less is no reason to accept what's served up.

It isn't even football we play anymore, it's the ghost of football past.

We do halfarsed attempts to stop the other team from playing football and when we do get the ball everyone looks scared to death by it.

Stoke are also a prime example of why changing manager can bring about a reverse in fortunes.

Palace get rid of their clueless twunt and replace him for Pullis. Now look at them - they're winning games and could quite easily have gotten a draw at the Etihad.

Same group of players; what's changed?

So you want to get rid of a mid table manager and replace him with another mid table manager? Seriously, what is the point?

You are too short sighted. In a couple of weeks if Stoke lose, Palace lose, and Villa win then all of a sudden Lambert will be a much better manager than the other two.

I wish the majority football fans would think longer term than 2 weeks ahead.[/

No! I was pointing out that quite often a different manager can get better results with the same set of players. I don't want Pullis. I want a manager who can get us winning at home; who can get us playing good football and not the dour shite were used to under Lambert.

Other managers have shown what their footballing philosophy is without any money.  Look at Martinez, kept Wigan up for years with not much money and crowds of 18,000, but always tried to play good football in doing so.  Has now moved on to Everton where he is replicating that playing style with better players and Everton are doing well as a result.

Whether you think £43m is enough on new players or not, the fact is that Lambert's footballing style is atrocious, and his footballing philosophy non-existent.  There's no discernible shape, tactics or plan to what we're trying to do, and even if he was given more money to spend in January, I think he'd be just as shambolic but with better players.  Give me a manager who wants his team to play football any day of the week.

great post roberto martinez would make us play on a small budget hes proven lambert is not

valueindex1.png

Lambert has already spent 42m and I will be very interested to see you pull a comparison stat when our next set of fixtures are over.

£42m on a squad of players that, if sold, would be worth more than that, costing 'peanuts' in premier league terms.  Those that don't work out can be shipeed out quite easily IMO.

That's step 1.  Step 2 needs to be a plan to add a bit of quality to that squad, thus resulting in a team that's still inexpensive to maintain, but can play good, attacking football.

We're going through a rough patch, but rarely does building something go smoothly.

We will get more than we paid for Lambert's signings due to the success of Benteke yet no-one would meet our valuation of him. The rest of Lambert's signings i'm not so sure about not only in terms of increased transfer fees but also whether they'd even be wanted and if a new manager did come in i'm not so sure there wouldn't be another bomb squad created.

I'm afraid Lambert's signings have been that bad.

Edited by Morpheus

valueindex1.png This shows how bad we were under McL. This season I would guess we are top half, maybe top quartile Let's see what happens when we (hopefully) start spending some money again
What is the wage rank? Is that total wage bill? How accurate are the underlying numbers? Is that first team or squad wage rank? If squad then how many players in each squad? Is it based on exactly the same numbers per squad or do they vary e.g. are some squads bigger than others. Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

Seems to be a one man crusade here Cas.If you are happy with PLs team fine, i think we are shit atm, and i blame PL, i thought we was shit under McL, and i blamed MON and McL.I'm at the stage now that i am happy to finish half way in The Prem, i don't think PL is up to that, or that McL was.

You can dress it up as much as you like, we arae an awful football team atm, and i just want to see some football after having none for 3/4 years.

Just trying to balance out the argument, I didnt lobby for PL to come here but now he is I want to see him given time and see what can be achieved with decent/average resources. I see nothing to be gained by changing manager

No I'm not happy with PLs side, I also think we're a bit shit but I blame Lerner

Finishing halfway in the prem would be an achievment given the resources deployed so far

http://www.squawka.com/news/2013/07/09/value-index-part-1/2013070912877

You either think this is true or you don't - if you don't then I can understand why you would imagine that all of a sudden you can start knockingthe ball around like Barcelona

Barcelona have stuck to their philosophy and pursued their belief in expansive football for umpteen years, so I' not sure any disappointed Villa supporter is expecting any thing like that, anytime soon.

I like you I don't want the manager gone, but to just sit back and condone the current exhibitions of what is presented as football is laughable.

We need some answers, who really is to blame and then set about correcting it.... We are just drifting along on a hidden agenda with staff biting their lip whilst top execs get mega bucks and us dopes just keep coughing up....thinking "time " is our only hope.

" fire fighting". For every result under all managers will only see us here in 10 years time having the same debates.

I know, I have witnessed it.

Stoke are also a prime example of why changing manager can bring about a reverse in fortunes.

Palace get rid of their clueless twunt and replace him for Pullis. Now look at them - they're winning games and could quite easily have gotten a draw at the Etihad.

Same group of players; what's changed?

So you want to get rid of a mid table manager and replace him with another mid table manager? Seriously, what is the point?

You are too short sighted. In a couple of weeks if Stoke lose, Palace lose, and Villa win then all of a sudden Lambert will be a much better manager than the other two.

I wish the majority football fans would think longer term than 2 weeks ahead.[/

No! I was pointing out that quite often a different manager can get better results with the same set of players. I don't want Pullis. I want a manager who can get us winning at home; who can get us playing good football and not the dour shite were used to under Lambert.

I think I understand what you want. You want the manager who has always had the best results over the last month to be Villa manager for the next month?

Good luck with that.

valueindex1.png

We will get more than we paid for Lambert's signings due to the success of Benteke yet no-one would meet our valuation of him. The rest of Lambert's signings i'm not so sure about not only in terms of increased transfer fees but also whether they'd even be wanted and if a new manager did come in i'm not so sure there wouldn't be another bomb squad created.

There's always a market across Europe for players in £1 - 2m on 10 -15k per week.  Players like KEA, Westwood, Lowton, Sylla, et al would not be stuck on our books in the vein we've been accustomed too.

In relation to Benteke vs Bent's wages, I believe HH stated Benteke's new deal still puts him on less than Delph, so Bent is on a lot more.

Other managers have shown what their footballing philosophy is without any money.  Look at Martinez, kept Wigan up for years with not much money and crowds of 18,000, but always tried to play good football in doing so.  Has now moved on to Everton where he is replicating that playing style with better players and Everton are doing well as a result.

Whether you think £43m is enough on new players or not, the fact is that Lambert's footballing style is atrocious, and his footballing philosophy non-existent.  There's no discernible shape, tactics or plan to what we're trying to do, and even if he was given more money to spend in January, I think he'd be just as shambolic but with better players.  Give me a manager who wants his team to play football any day of the week.

great post roberto martinez would make us play on a small budget hes proven lambert is not

Martinez took his team down, albeit eventually.  They did play some good football, but the results we're enough to keep them in the division at the end of the day.  If anything, they were the opposite of us - a lack of ability to grind out points, whereas we have a lack of ability to play good football.

At Everton he's got some quality players to work with, as a good budget if they are looking to take Barry on a permanent deal.  Good manager mind you.

So the basis of most people who are stubbornly supporting Lambert is that if he was given loads of money then things would be different. Surely then all that is proving is that Lambert is a pretty shit coach and relies on buying success? I thought he was supposed to be a leading manager? If that is the case then why is the dross football of the past 18months now becoming the norm and to be accepted?

You see it does not make sense when the reality is there for all to see. Lambert is a poor manager, the coaching staff he brought in you could argue have had a negative effect. The time is here and now for villa to admit that lambert is a mistake and to rid ourselves of him and the clueless entourage he has around him.

• Like 4