2014 FIFA World Cup

BOF

Interesting debate, does the best side always win the world cup? Looking at it from 86 to present I would say yes, but my colleague disagrees. Perhaps Brazil in 82 were the best team in that world cup, but that's a one off.

I think you could probably make a decent argument for Brazil being better than France in 98 but it's skewed because France has home advantage, a fair few of Frances good players went on to be world class players and Brazil were shocking in the final

Were Spain the best team in 2010? I guess you could say they were because they won, but I didn't find them particularly convincing.

Yeah Germany battered us and Argentina and looked great, struggling to remember the semi vs Spain, puyol goal from a corner?

Interesting debate, does the best side always win the world cup? Looking at it from 86 to present I would say yes, but my colleague disagrees. Perhaps Brazil in 82 were the best team in that world cup, but that's a one off.

In  74 Holland were the best side and didn't win it. In 1990 I think England were the best side but thats arguable I guess. Also in 54 the Hungarians were the best side but were beaten by Germany. Puskas was injured in the final i think. 

This one is so wide open, its diificult to pick a winner. If England can get through the group which is going to be very tough, i think we can do better than expected. I hope Hodgson is brave enough to drop Rooney if he is not performing. 

GTFO England were not better then Germany in 1990. Look at Germany's group stage results and they beat pre tournament joint favourites Holland in the 2nd round. England were average in the group stage and only improved when the players asked Robson to change formation. Oh and Linekers dives in the cameroon game.

Edited by Voinjama
  • Like 1

GTFO England were not better then Germany in 1990. Look at Germany's group stage results and they beat pre tournament joint favourites Holland in the 2nd round. England were average in the group stage and only improved when the players asked Robson to change formation. Oh and Linekers dives in the cameroon game.

Yes we scraped through but we were the better side against Germany in the semis. They were lucky......

Sort of related - Why aren't there ever any big upset winners in the world cup? Some come close, Croatia in 98, Turkey in 2002 but you never get the equivalent of Wigan winning the world cup.

98 I think France weren't the best, Croatia or Holland were probably better than them that year as well. 2010 GErmany was probably the best team until they bottled the semi final which they have done a lot recently

Sort of related - Why aren't there ever any big upset winners in the world cup? Some come close, Croatia in 98, Turkey in 2002 but you never get the equivalent of Wigan winning the world cup.

Dave Whelan never broke his leg in a World Cup final

• Like 3

I think the heat and humidity might hurt the European teams especially England; although it depends on fitness ultimately. I would imagine the fitness levels of the England team are as good as any other nationalities however it does depend on style of football.

Will England try to play on the counter and soak up pressure or should we play to strength and try to outscore teams. I personally think the latter should be the tactic as going forward must be our strongest form with players like Rooney, Sturridge, Sterling etc.

I will be taking only 1 day off for the world cup, Monday 23rd June. Decided it would be a waste to use my precious 18 days holiday left to watch football matches that are time friendly for UK residents anyway. I know some people who are taking off a whole week, I guess it's up to them.