2014 FIFA World Cup

BOF

Netherlands have an unfit Van Persie, and Huntelaar who's alright. I wouldn't say they are overflowing with quality up front.

Luc Castaignos comes highly rated

Has he improved an awful lot then? I remember him with Inter where he was mostly shit. About the only notable thing he did was spit on someone.

Another death at the Arena Pantanal which is the stadium where Bosnia will play Nigeria. This is ridicuous. How can the stadium not be ready yet when the cup starts in 35 days.

Edited by Voinjama

Another death at the Arena Pantanal which is the stadium where Bosnia will play Nigeria. This is ridicuous. How can the stadium not be ready yet when the cup starts in 35 days.

It's an absolute farce and should never have been gave to Brazil in the first place.

I was one of the people who wanted it to go to Brazil because of their love of the game. But I have never known a sporting event, not just world cup with more hiccups, from strikes, to a record number of deaths, to protests, to 3 stadiums not being ready 1 month before it starts etc. It just goes on and on. lets hope the tournament is amazing to make up for it.

Edited by Voinjama
  • Like 1

I don't know what people expect. It's an 'emerging economy' that still has millions in poverty and is full of people angry at how so much money can be pumped into a tournament which effectively benefits an already very rich elite, under the bullshit theory that it'll be worth it because tourism and infrastructure or whatever crap FIFA tells them, instead of going toward healthcare or education or anything that reduces inequality.

IIRC the Brazilian governments security spend is ridiculous, not because of 'terrorism', but of fears that mass protests will break out during the tournament. Can't remember where I read that, though.

• Like 2

South Africa is considerably poorer then Brazil with more social problems and of course an AIDS epidemic. But they delivered the goods with not as many problems.

Edit: and less time to plan, Brazil was given the tournament in 2007.

Edited by Voinjama
  • Like 1

I remember them at Villa Park during Euro 96 against Switzerland. I was in the park opposite, they were amazing.

I didn't go to the game. I got love the Dutch fans - 3rd best in the world ;)

Isn't Rossi injured again for Italy?

Think Holland will go out in the groups...most of their big hitters are in their 30s now (RVP, Van Dar Vaart, Snejider, Kuyt, Huntelaar) so probably a tournament too far for them. And their younger lot don't look quite ready yet particularly with the blow of Shootman out. A squad inbetween generations.

Ah I read a while ago he'd done his ligaments again.

Terrific little player who's had an incredible bad run of injuries. Surprised no one from the prem has tried to sign him as he'd be much better than his time at Man. United.

I'd be interested to see how Italy get on. There's no consistency at them with tournaments unlike England, they either get to the final or bomb out at the group stages.

Don't know much about their squad. Defence is a weak spot now after the golden era of Maldini, Cannavaro, Nesta and Zambrotta I'd imagine. Is Cassano out of the picture now?