2014 FIFA World Cup

BOF

England have released the suits for the world cup, and there was a montage of all the suits from previous world cups. When they showed 2010, I genuinely could not believe how much the England football team has changed in the last 3 and a half years. Warnock, SW Philips, David James, Rob green, Upson, Heskey, King, Carragher were all in. Where are most of these guys now? Retired some of them. Some really average players in that squad. Even before this squad is picked, I can already say this squad will be much stronger then 2010.

Edited by Voinjama
  • Like 1

Interesting debate, does the best side always win the world cup? Looking at it from 86 to present I would say yes, but my colleague disagrees. Perhaps Brazil in 82 were the best team in that world cup, but that's a one off.

Any knockout competition rarely has the best side win it. Teams are so close at the top level of any sport that anyone can beat anyone with some luck of a flukeishly good day.

• Like 2

You all do realise that when England play Uruguay Suarez is sure to cheat and get a penalty/free kick ?!

but so might Gerrard so it evens the balance

And Rooney.

• Like 1

Interesting debate, does the best side always win the world cup? Looking at it from 86 to present I would say yes, but my colleague disagrees. Perhaps Brazil in 82 were the best team in that world cup, but that's a one off.

Any knockout competition rarely has the best side win it. Teams are so close at the top level of any sport that anyone can beat anyone with some luck of a flukeishly good day.

I suppose it depends on how you define best? The best squad? Top of the world rankings? Best team in group stages? I don't think any WC winner can be classed as not deserving, certainly in my lifetime. 

Brazil in 82? Perhaps? But can you say Italy didn't deserve it after beating Argentina, Brazil and Germany?

The West Germans were deserving winners in 90, although I think it would have been a better spectacle if Italy had played them in the final. Brazil were deserved winners in 94. 1998? I don't think you argue about France... Brazil were favourites but were awful in the final. 

When I say best, I was referring to how they performed in that actual tournament not the squad or on paper. A better way of saying it is, do the most deserving team always win the world cup based on their performance in that tournament.

Edited by Voinjama

When I say best, I was referring to how they performed in that actual tournament not the squad or on paper. A better way of saying it is, do the most deserving team always win the world cup based on their performance in that tournament.

I think so! I don't think you can fluke a WC win.. you might fluke the odd game, but to win the tournament you are going to come up against the strongest teams in the tournament