What is your experience of mental health?

AstonMartyn88

49 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Woah!! I never knew something such as  SAD exists. I've always wondered if there was as one of my friends always seems to be down at this time of year when summer ends.

Really? It's been really well documented. Pretty sure my missus gets it - she hates autumn and winter, and craves sunlight and long daylight hours (whereas I actually love this time of year). 

Apparently serious sufferers respond well to artificial sunlight treatment. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Really? It's been really well documented. Pretty sure my missus gets it - she hates autumn and winter, and craves sunlight and long daylight hours (whereas I actually love this time of year). 

Apparently serious sufferers respond well to artificial sunlight treatment. 

I honestly nwver knew this condition exists

50 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I don't mind the start of winter because you have Halloween and Firework nights, and then it's the lead up to Xmas, which I always enjoy.

But Jan 1st - Apr 1st can just **** off as far as I'm concerned. 

Thata the way I look at it!! Then it makes me appreciate whwn it starts getting warmer.

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I really struggled with health anxiety and panic attacks for around 2/3 years.

Not sure how I managed to shake it off but the brighter days do come back, I promise :)

Mate if this was on based on VT I never would have thought you did! You seem like you have a lot going for you

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I don't mind the start of winter because you have Halloween and Firework nights, and then it's the lead up to Xmas, which I always enjoy.

But Jan 1st - Apr 1st can just **** off as far as I'm concerned. 

This 100% 

Nah, I **** love winter. I concede March - April can be deceptively shit at times though. Just when you start to look forward to sunny days out, the weather goes "**** YOU" and you're left stranded in a park wearing t-shirt and shorts at 4.30pm on the verge of hyperthermia unable to console yourself with the prospect of sticking the boiler on because you've already told yourself that March is here and you're wearing shorts, it would be fecking stupid to have the boiler on nowadays, it would be a concession that you were WRONG and we know how much people love to admit that they were wrong. So you get home, checking for frostbite on the way, sticking multiple layers before downing some whiskey and tea before crawling under the full strength duvet you've reluctantly removed from storage again, saddened by your foolish premature decision-making.

The next day you go to work with a shirt and two jumpers and all day it is **** boiling and in your intemperate  state you kick a cat into a bin on the way home for looking at you the wrong way whilst cursing the CAPRICIOUS BASTARD SUN for refusing to make it's mind up.

Edited by Rodders

On 14/11/2018 at 08:19, Rugeley Villa said:

We got a site induction the other day, and mental health was mentioned. He went into detail about it too, which I thought was good. Men don’t have to be men anymore, which I think is important in coming to terms with your own personal situation. My wife’s brother has been on the phone all week to her . He’s not one to talk about things, or see anyone, but he’s finally opening up to my wife about how he’s feeling which is a big first step for him, because he literally does not talk about things. We’ve all known for a while he’s had problems, and he’s admitting what we already knew. @Tayls, well done mate. Can’t imagine what you all went through, but glad everything is working out. You said you suffer from health anxiety? Is this you constantly worrying about your health, and your families health? 

Apologies for the late reply! Cheers though dude. 

Re health anxiety - yea it has been my thing that has been with me since I was about 13/14. I’m 30 now. It’s not as bad now as it used to be, because I’ve got other things to focus on and keep my mind off it, but it certainly does pop up still. 

I do worry about others also, I’m almost physically sick at the thought of anything happening to my family - but I’d say it’s mostly me thinking I feel ill, so I google symptoms and convince myself I have something specific... 

Edited by Tayls

On 15/11/2018 at 15:18, Rodders said:

Nah, I **** love winter. I concede March - April can be deceptively shit at times though. Just when you start to look forward to sunny days out, the weather goes "**** YOU" and you're left stranded in a park wearing t-shirt and shorts at 4.30pm on the verge of hyperthermia unable to console yourself with the prospect of sticking the boiler on because you've already told yourself that March is here and you're wearing shorts, it would be fecking stupid to have the boiler on nowadays, it would be a concession that you were WRONG and we know how much people love to admit that they were wrong. So you get home, checking for frostbite on the way, sticking multiple layers before downing some whiskey and tea before crawling under the full strength duvet you've reluctantly removed from storage again, saddened by your foolish premature decision-making.

The next day you go to work with a shirt and two jumpers and all day it is **** boiling and in your intemperate  state you kick a cat into a bin on the way home for looking at you the wrong way whilst cursing the CAPRICIOUS BASTARD SUN for refusing to make it's mind up.

I dont mind March because as it's abit of a shit month. Me and the missus usually book a city break abroad as it's cheap and gives us something to look forward to . This year is vienna and Bratislava 

On 15/11/2018 at 15:26, Demitri_C said:

Mate if this was on based on VT I never would have thought you did! You seem like you have a lot going for you

I guess it goes to show you never know what's going on inside people's heads!

15 hours ago, Tayls said:

Apologies for the late reply! Cheers though dude. 

Re health anxiety - yea it has been my thing that has been with me since I was about 13/14. I’m 30 now. It’s not as bad now as it used to be, because I’ve got other things to focus on and keep my mind off it, but it certainly does pop up still. 

I do worry about others also, I’m almost physically sick at the thought of anything happening to my family - but I’d say it’s mostly me thinking I feel ill, so I google symptoms and convince myself I have something specific... 

Exactly what I have, and I also had it from an early age. My first memory of it starting was around the age of 13. Tbf, it’s a big burden on my life. I also worry terribly about my family, to the point where I sometimes wish I was dead. 

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Well off topic but I found Bratislava incredibly meh.

I much preferred Budapest or Prague.

I done both buda and Prague. Loved buda but Prague was ok.

Doing Bratislava day trip as so close to vienna. Might as well two in one trip!

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

I guess it goes to show you never know what's going on inside people's heads!

Absolutely right. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My grandad has just been diagnosed with Dementia. Not sure what to expect, but I know he’s feeling pretty shit at the moment. Anyone been through this with a family member or loved one? 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

My grandad has just been diagnosed with Dementia. Not sure what to expect, but I know he’s feeling pretty shit at the moment. Anyone been through this with a family member or loved one? 

I’ve been there Ruge with my grandad. 

There’s no sugar coating this degenerative disease. It’s not a great road to travel down and it’s a long road too. 

my grandad lasted 10yrs with it but for most of those 10, he wasn’t the man we all knew and loved. 

I’m sorry for you and your family, make the most of your time (especially with your kids) with him whilst you can. 

It’s a sad way to go and I totally understand why people consider euthanasia and go out on their own terms. 

Apologies for the miserable response. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I’ve been there Ruge with my grandad. 

There’s no sugar coating this degenerative disease. It’s not a great road to travel down and it’s a long road too. 

my grandad lasted 10yrs with it but for most of those 10, he wasn’t the man we all knew and loved. 

I’m sorry for you and your family, make the most of your time (especially with your kids) with him whilst you can. 

It’s a sad way to go and I totally understand why people consider euthanasia and go out on their own terms. 

Apologies for the miserable response. 

Thanks for the blunt honesty  mate. He’s been gradually losing his marbles, but we put it down to age(83) . He’s got worse over the last few weeks though and really isn’t himself. More tests tomorrow, but it seems mild at the moment. He’s also got one or two other health issues going on. He’s scared, but all the family are going to muck in together. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Thanks for the blunt honesty  mate. He’s been gradually losing his marbles, but we put it down to age(83) . He’s got worse over the last few weeks though and really isn’t himself. More tests tomorrow, but it seems mild at the moment. He’s also got one or two other health issues going on. He’s scared, but all the family is going to muck in together. 

It’s understandable being scared, sadly he could get frustrated with himself and others around him.

its difficult but you just have to be patient and understanding.

feel free to DM at any time 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â