England v Chile & England v Germany

andykeenan

Can't wait until Hodgson is gone.

What will change?

Impossible to say without knowing who his replacement will be. If it's someone who shares his ethos then probably not a lot.

I think we got a bit carried away with those two world cup qualifiers. We still are short when it comes to quality. Poland and Montenegro are poor sides.

What will change?

Most importantly, players will start working harder and "die" for a great motivator, somebody they respect and are afraid of. Roy Hodgson has never won anything significant, he failed at Liverpool and his "honors" were won back in the 70's and 80's. Mostly in Sweden and Denmark as well, which makes winning the league with Celtic/Rangers look like winning the Champions League. Secondly, tactics. A great manager can change games by analyzing the other team and almost perform chess moves to neutralize certain patterns or players, like Greece won the European Championship ten years ago. Roy Hodgson is probably a great person and a very lovable man, but I highly doubt he is good enough to lead England. The job he has is the most difficult job in the footballing world, given all the pressure from the fans and above all media, and expectations are that he wins even though the team is not good enough on paper compared to the others. Again, why pick Roy Hodgson to do this job when he got pieces of the same pressure at Liverpool where he failed miserably?

Just a horrible pick, he will never succeed at this job and he will be fired after the WC. Who would do a better job, you ask? Well, pretty much everyone, but it's not my job to find the replacement luckily. Saying that, I would never want Roy Hodgson at Villa Park and I really doubt many other teams would like him either - so why should he get to manage England? Dead man walking...

The players hated Capello's hardline regieme though and isolation in the mountains of Cape Town or wherever they were staying. Sorry to keep bringing Capello up time and again but you're talking about one of the most successful club managers of his generation and doing well with Russia yet he couldn't achieve much with England.

The simple truth is that whoever is the manager, the squad is simply not good enough. Too many 30 + players about to retire after this world cup and few of the much hyped young players are good enough.

Depends what group England get but I can see them not even making the last 16 at the world cup.

What will change?

Impossible to say without knowing who his replacement will be. If it's someone who shares his ethos then probably not a lot.

The polar opposite of Roy Hodgson in style and personality is Harry Redknapp funnily enough........

What will change?

Most importantly, players will start working harder and "die" for a great motivator, somebody they respect and are afraid of. Roy Hodgson has never won anything significant, he failed at Liverpool and his "honors" were won back in the 70's and 80's. Mostly in Sweden and Denmark as well, which makes winning the league with Celtic/Rangers look like winning the Champions League. Secondly, tactics. A great manager can change games by analyzing the other team and almost perform chess moves to neutralize certain patterns or players, like Greece won the European Championship ten years ago. Roy Hodgson is probably a great person and a very lovable man, but I highly doubt he is good enough to lead England. The job he has is the most difficult job in the footballing world, given all the pressure from the fans and above all media, and expectations are that he wins even though the team is not good enough on paper compared to the others. Again, why pick Roy Hodgson to do this job when he got pieces of the same pressure at Liverpool where he failed miserably?

Just a horrible pick, he will never succeed at this job and he will be fired after the WC. Who would do a better job, you ask? Well, pretty much everyone, but it's not my job to find the replacement luckily. Saying that, I would never want Roy Hodgson at Villa Park and I really doubt many other teams would like him either - so why should he get to manage England? Dead man walking...

So you want a motivator and a great tactician....anything else?

What will change?

The polar opposite of Roy Hodgson in style and personality is Harry Redknapp funnily enough........

I wanted Harry too but not sure he would make much difference. A bit surprised we went back to the tired old 4-4-2 today though!

I personally didn't want Redknapp as manager but he is certainly far and away the best English candidate, at the time and probably presently.

Foreign? Which in prime foreign manager would walk out of an exciting club side to take up an England management role, I don't think Jurgen Klopp is tendering his resignation at Dortmund as we speak.

It would be another Capello coming to the end of his career like Marcelo Lippi or a real maverick wildcard like Bielsa.

Yes but we always go for foreign then we want an English and then when the English manager fails we want another foreign. I used to think just pick the right manager but now i have come to accept we just haven't got the players.

What will change?

I am sorry that is gibberish. I am sure the players respect Hodgson and yes they do actually try. They put a lot of effort in tonight in pressing and closing down. The problem is that we are not very good and lack players with technique and ability. The england manager is not responsible for the long term management of player development in this money rich, player poor, country of ours. I hope the George's Park and the Premier League may help in this, but don't hold your hopes that much.  Dead walking walking- please. He has got England to the World Cup and if he gets his average bunch of players to the second round that is a acceptable job, like at the Euros in which we lost in the quarters. Why was he a horrible pick? The FA wanted a english manager. He has managed for over 30 years in the game, and had international experience. Wasn't like their was a huge amount of choice on the FA shortlist was there?

Is Bielsa actually maverick? Everyone's copied him.

Being imitated isn't the antithesis of being a maverick. A maverick is someone who does not conform and is original. If you set a new trend and it's imitated - then, if anything, it enhances your status as a maverick.

In order to not stretch wildly off topic, the pool of players necessary to win the World Cup just isn't available to us. It's not Roy's fault. Even the best "motivator" or "tactician" on the planet, or even the adulated Harry Redknapp, could be successful with this group of available players. There is no one noticeable being omitted. Sure, we clamour for Delph or Gabby to get a nod, but they wouldn't impact this side.

Obviously one result isn't everything. Spain lost to South Africa tonight and the 'Golden Generation' of Belgium also lost both of their internationals during this break. Getting outplayed by Germany's B Team was just a stark reminder that we will do well to be competitive at this World Cup. I enjoy entertaining the notion of the romance of winning the World Cup in Brazil still, though.

I do think Hart's an excellent 'keeper who just needs to work on his erratic decision-making.

Walker and Johnson are both physically excellent defenders - surely one of them can obtain a semblance of form?

Our centre backs are pretty awful, admittedly. Jagielka the pick of the punch these last two games says it all! But Cahill should get a good season under his belt - being first choice for Chelsea next to Terry. Maybe if Jones and Smalling get some minutes at centre back for United they would improve, too.

Left back is our one strong position - Cole should start, with Baines an able deputy. 

We really lack an imposing defensive midfield player. Cleverley does a lot of pressing and moves the ball well. He's the type of player who looks excellent in a good team but limited in a poor one. I'd probably start him, Wilshere and Gerrard, though. If Morrison continues to impress and Wilshere continues to disappoint, then I'd switch them.

Townsend scares defenders. He obviously lacks an end product and is naturally being over-hyped by our media. But him or Walcott are excellent out-balls to relieve pressure.

Then if Rooney and Sturridge can translate their early season form internationally....

... we might have a chance of making it out the group.

Bielsa was original. Everyone copied his high press system. Even Lambert uses it to some degree with Villa - you could see that last season with Sylla, a defensive midfielder, positioned further forward than Westwood. Bielsa is original no longer. It's the system of five years ago - now. Not the system of the next five years. It would be a typical FA "we've got a big idea and aren't we clever" appointment but I'd appoint someone else. Jurgen Klinsman. 

England would be better off without the likes of Lampard, Cole, Gerrard and Cleverly in the side. So many painfully average players in the squad. Smalling was very poor, how much did United pay for him? You see worry that Joe Hart will produce an error that will really cost the team. Yet, Hodgson has done nothing to give Forster any real experience in friendlies. Typical England and their inability to consistently bring up young players in friendlies.

Thought Gerrard while on the pitch last night was the only English player who wouldn't have looked out of place in the Germany team.

Best English technical player (ability to pass) by far and the most dangerous going forward.   

What will change?

Thats very harsh on Hodgson.

He hasn't a lot to work with in the first place and the best available English players will go to the World Cup with him.

Would you be less critical of him if he had chosen Delph?

What will change?

Thats very harsh on Hodgson.

He hasn't a lot to work with in the first place and the best available English players will go to the World Cup with him.

Would you be less critical of him if he had chosen Delph?

No. I've been criticising Hodgson way before Delph started deserving an England call-up.

Roy Hodgson is not England problem, they have been poor since 2006 and he was nowhere near the team then. Doesnt matter if England bring in Mourinho or Pep nothing is going to change, the players arent there. their is not one player not in England squad that will make a big difference to it

Â