England v Chile & England v Germany

andykeenan

the cap thing is long gone, sven making 11 subs and changing captain 5 times a match was ridiculous, capping players who are in form isn't, and theres also nothing to say you have to cap everyone you call up

cleverley playing for utd doesn't mean he's suited for international football, andy cole, kevin Phillips etc long list of players who don't play well and therefore don't get much of a chance at international football, how many times does cleverley have to play poorly before someone says he's just not cut out for it? id rather we tried townsend or chamberlain through the middle vs Denmark, not sure chamberlain would do the graft but think townsend will

the way we are now we seem to have a selection of players who don't play well every time they are called up (smalling, jones, cleverley, Johnson, soon i'll be able to add lambert to that list) players that every man and his dog already know everything about (gerrard, lampard) and then just enough young players and debutants for roy to get credit for trying new faces

players that play for teams that are consistently in Champions LEague, their is a reason these players are at these clubs and why Gabby and Delph arent

Welbeck only plays for Man U because he's from Manchester.

players that play for teams that are consistently in Champions LEague, their is a reason these players are at these clubs and why Gabby and Delph arent

Welbeck only plays for Man U because he's from Manchester.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That is the funniest thing ive read in a long time

Even without considering the English Villa players it's still a baffling thing to say. What happens if Berahino for example continues to go from strength to strength and Lambert's form declines? The WC squad will be basically be which players Hodgson judged to be in form in late 2013, not the players in form in the months leading up to the actual tournament.

And as somebody else said, you can bet that Carroll will stroll back into that side the second he's fit.

This is a very strange argument and quite frankly makes no sense. According to this line of thinking Bendtner is better than Benteke.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

I guess it all depends on what English player moves to Manure in January... 

Its not really true though is it. 3 players from Southampton in the last squad proves he doesn't just pick players from the bigger clubs.

he didn't pick the 3 Southampton players when they were playing this well last year, flavour of the month, when they end up about 7th / 8th and start to slip from the spotlight then we'll see how many of them get called up, like I said if carrolls fit he'll be back in the frame, wouldn't be surprised if Southampton have the number of players in the England WC squad as us

This is a very strange argument and quite frankly makes no sense. According to this line of thinking Bendtner is better than Benteke.

Are you being naive on purpose or what? It's like Karl Pilkington is posting on here. His point is of course that the core from the top teams are made out of players that offer something to the team. Welbeck, for all the abuse he gets from everywhere, must have something to his game given he has figured in the last 63 of United's 87 league games. He has 20 games for England and has scored 8 goals, at the age of 22. I am not a huge fan of Welbeck, but I do understand the fact that United won the league last season and he played his fair share. Bendtner of course is not any more an important player for Arsenal, he will be on his way pretty soon and never return. He is there because Wenger has messed up in several windows in the past and as a result they are short up top. I do like Gabby, but like Zatman said, there is a reason why he is at the Villa alongside Delph - and not at United or Arsenal. Gabby is 5 years older than Welbeck and he has 3 caps for England. Benteke is of course better than Bendtner, but he has been at Villa for one season and we all know he will leave for a better club pretty soon. That's how it works, if you are good enough you soon play for one of the best clubs. If Delph is THAT good, and if the reviews on here were really objective, he would be the target for most clubs in the summer. Only time will tell of course...

• Like 1

Rodriguez has shown a lot more than Gabby did, proved his form wasnt a blip

I haven't seen anything to suggest that so far.

Are you being naive on purpose or what? It's like Karl Pilkington is posting on here. His point is of course that the core from the top teams are made out of players that offer something to the team. Welbeck, for all the abuse he gets from everywhere, must have something to his game given he has figured in the last 63 of United's 87 league games. He has 20 games for England and has scored 8 goals, at the age of 22. I am not a huge fan of Welbeck, but I do understand the fact that United won the league last season and he played his fair share. Bendtner of course is not any more an important player for Arsenal, he will be on his way pretty soon and never return. He is there because Wenger has messed up in several windows in the past and as a result they are short up top. I do like Gabby, but like Zatman said, there is a reason why he is at the Villa alongside Delph - and not at United or Arsenal. Gabby is 5 years older than Welbeck and he has 3 caps for England. Benteke is of course better than Bendtner, but he has been at Villa for one season and we all know he will leave for a better club pretty soon. That's how it works, if you are good enough you soon play for one of the best clubs. If Delph is THAT good, and if the reviews on here were really objective, he would be the target for most clubs in the summer. Only time will tell of course...

I was merely responding to what was written. I'm not being naive about anything.

And I don't think anyone is saying Delph is world class, just that he should be called up ahead of someone like Cleverley. The only real response people can seem to conjure up to this is "well Cleverley plays for Man United therefore he's better" which is a terribly weak argument.

he didn't pick the 3 Southampton players when they were playing this well last year, flavour of the month, when they end up about 7th / 8th and start to slip from the spotlight then we'll see how many of them get called up, like I said if carrolls fit he'll be back in the frame, wouldn't be surprised if Southampton have the number of players in the England WC squad as us

Lambert was called up before and lallana is there to stay. I just honestly don't think we have anyone who has done enough to justify selection. Delph is closest but there is still lack of end product to his game. You can't compare to Cleverley because he's a different type of player. 

Rodriguez has shown a lot more than Gabby did, proved his form wasnt a blip

No he hasn't. He only got called up because Southampton are high in the table.

He hasn't done a lot but he's still done more than Gabby this season and i dont think we'll see him in another squad

Edited by PaulC

Lambert was called up before and lallana is there to stay. I just honestly don't think we have anyone who has done enough to justify selection. Delph is closest but there is still lack of end product to his game. You can't compare to Cleverley because he's a different type of player. 

You talk about end product but goals and assists aren't really part of Delph's game.

Â