England v Chile & England v Germany

andykeenan

England team to face Germany: Hart; Walker, Jagielka, Smalling, Cole; Gerrard, Cleverley, Lallana, Rooney, Townsend; Sturridge

Formation 4-2-3-1

Not terrible with the obvious exception of Cleverley who just isn't deserving of a start right now. Personally I don't like the two centre-backs as well but I suppose our options are limited. I'd like to see Caulker in the squad and probably in the team for the world cup.  

Its ok, glad he's given Lallana another go, Walker and Townsend down the right give us a lot of pace. Hope Lallana plays in the hole rather than wide left. Germany have a lot of first teamers out. I think this game will suit is more than the Chile one!

Being more deserving than Cleverly this season amounts to just being on the pitch. So most players are more deserving than him. Delph is more deserving than Cleverly because he not only plays every minute that he's available but he has been our player of the month every month this season. It's not saying Delph is a world beater. It's just saying his effort probably warrants a squad call up for a friendly.

Cleverley  :bang:

He only gets into the team because he plays for Man United. People say Delph isn't good enough for England yet but he's more deserving of a call-up than Cleverley.

Why is Delph more deserving?

For pretty much the reasons BOF said. Let's be clear here I'm not saying he's world class, but Cleverley really doesn't deserve to be in this England team at the moment.

Not sure about that BOF.

If the manager views one player having more ability than the other and that player isn't getting game time at his club either through injury or just through better players being at his respective club then the manager should choose that player irrespective of the circumstance.

Moreover being 'our player of the month every month this season' should not guarantee selection for the national team.

Cleverley  :bang:

He only gets into the team because he plays for Man United. People say Delph isn't good enough for England yet but he's more deserving of a call-up than Cleverley.

Why is Delph more deserving?

For pretty much the reasons BOF said. Let's be clear here I'm not saying he's world class, but Cleverley really doesn't deserve to be in this England team at the moment.

Refer to my reply to BOF.

Not sure about that BOF.

If the manager views one player having more ability than the other and that player isn't getting game time at his club either through injury or just through better players being at his respective club then the manager should choose that player irrespective of the circumstance.

Moreover being 'our player of the month every month this season' should not guarantee selection for the national team.

You only asked about being deserving of a call-up.

Not sure about that BOF.

Of course not, but I still find it odd that Roy hasn't at least given Delph a chance..

but could say the same for a number of English midfielders playing in Premier League. Is Delph really more deserving than Morrison,  Howson, Dyer, Sidwell, Whittingham or Shelvey who are just an example of players with more goals or assists than him this season

but could say the same for a number of English midfielders playing in Premier League. Is Delph really more deserving than Morrison,  Howson, Dyer, Sidwell, Whittingham or Shelvey who are just an example of players with more goals or assists than him this season

Yes :)
  • Like 1

Yes that's probably why Hodgson hasn't picked him. He looks great but Hodgson maybe looking for more end product.  You can point to Cleverly but he's a different type of player. 

I think there's a slight element of playing down our own players here. Which we have been known to do. We're not the only ones who have complimented Delph this season. Sky sent Kammy and [someone I can't remember] to VP in a new segment, specifically to look at Delph and Barkley with a view to their England prospects and they came away saying that Delph ran the show for us despite not being on the right end of the result. They basically said Woy would have been impwessed with him (he was in the cwowd) and that he might take a closer look. Yes most fans will have their equivalent of Delph but I do think given his performances for us this season that his claim is bigger than most of those waiting in the wings. And I only mean a friendly call-up and a closer look, not a ticket to Brazil.

but if looked at hard facts of zero goals, zero assists and 3 yellow cards in 9 games is not going to really tempt Hodgson to call him up.

have said before if he adds goals or assists he will be a certainty for a call up

Â