England v Chile & England v Germany

andykeenan

Hodgson is a decent manager and deserved a chance to manage england. The problem for roy is that you can't polish a turd.

That is the problem though. You call him decent, which is almost the same as mediocre. If he was a club he would be the equivalent of Fulham or WBA, not even Everton or Tottenham. He has never done a great job anywhere important, he has managed 15+ clubs over his career and all he has won is a few trophies in Scandinavia. That was in the 70's and 80's! Oh, one league trophy from Denmark with Copenhagen in 2000/2001. Copenhagen are like Rosenborg, they have much more money than the rest and generally win every other season. Not that it matters of course, because they man is old school and he clearly failed when he was at Liverpool. Liverpool are much like England in a way, the team is not the best but the fans/media demand that they fight for every trophy. England have lots of match-winners and can objectively speaking win the World Cup next season. If Greece can win the EC, if Porto can win the Champions League and so on, then England can win the World Cup. There are of course teams like Argentina, Spain, Brazil, Holland, Germany and Italy with better players and/or incredible history in the WC, then there are England, Colombia, Uruguay, Belgium and Portugal + some other teams with a fighting chance to snatch it. But it takes a real leader to come from behind to do something spectacular like that, and Roy Hodgson is obviously not that man. This is a manager who fits well with Fulham and WBA, because that is his level. They don't expect much, the players aren't that good and the fans will likely treat you well even though you are 14th come Christmas. At Liverpool he was a bad fit from day 1 and he got sacked because he couldn't mold them into anything special. They didn't do better because of him and it's exactly the same with England. They will win a few games because they generally have very good players, but when it comes to the tactical side he will always lose against better managers and that will surely happen in Brazil next season. It's a pity, because England is my second team after Norway (and we never qualify).

Sure you can say Fabio Capello didn't work out for England, but that doesn't mean the next top candidate will do the same. As for Roy, his fate is already sealed.

My eyes hurt from reading that.

He was given about 5 minutes at Liverpool. He has managed Inter Milan, in which he took them 3rd and the UEFA cup final.Why is Hodgson's fate is sealed? England fans should not expect much, why should we? Outside of 1966, our international succes is about the same level as Sweden.

The FA wanted to go for a english manager after Capello stropped off. Hodgson was the ideal choice. The other alternative was arry redknapp who biggest job was at Tottenham Hotspur, in which he got them to the giddy hights of 4th. And got QPR and Southampton relegated. And helped to ruin Portsmouth financially before jumping ship.  But because he has mates in the media, we all supposed to think him of some sort of mangerial genius,

Lol you say that like Hodgson has won the Premier League or Serie A.

Hodgson has never even mananged in the Champions League while Rednapp has got to the quarter-finals which is the best ever performance by an English manager.

Have to laugh at this, I'm not a huge fan of Roy, but common sense is needed here. The man took Inter to win the Uefa Cup, in my opinion his achievement of taking Fulham to Europa League Cup final with his resources is better than what Harry achieved with Spurs in the Champions League.

Lucky with Bale??

If memory serves me correct it was rumoured in the press that Spuds were ready to sell Bale for 1m until Redknapp went to Tottenham and was instrumental in getting Bale to play in the way he does today.

While Redknapp hasn't won a lot trophy wise he does get his team's playing good football and likes players who have technical ability.

Hodgson is a decent manager and deserved a chance to manage england. The problem for roy is that you can't polish a turd.

That is the problem though. You call him decent, which is almost the same as mediocre. If he was a club he would be the equivalent of Fulham or WBA, not even Everton or Tottenham. He has never done a great job anywhere important, he has managed 15+ clubs over his career and all he has won is a few trophies in Scandinavia. That was in the 70's and 80's! Oh, one league trophy from Denmark with Copenhagen in 2000/2001. Copenhagen are like Rosenborg, they have much more money than the rest and generally win every other season. Not that it matters of course, because they man is old school and he clearly failed when he was at Liverpool. Liverpool are much like England in a way, the team is not the best but the fans/media demand that they fight for every trophy. England have lots of match-winners and can objectively speaking win the World Cup next season. If Greece can win the EC, if Porto can win the Champions League and so on, then England can win the World Cup. There are of course teams like Argentina, Spain, Brazil, Holland, Germany and Italy with better players and/or incredible history in the WC, then there are England, Colombia, Uruguay, Belgium and Portugal + some other teams with a fighting chance to snatch it. But it takes a real leader to come from behind to do something spectacular like that, and Roy Hodgson is obviously not that man. This is a manager who fits well with Fulham and WBA, because that is his level. They don't expect much, the players aren't that good and the fans will likely treat you well even though you are 14th come Christmas. At Liverpool he was a bad fit from day 1 and he got sacked because he couldn't mold them into anything special. They didn't do better because of him and it's exactly the same with England. They will win a few games because they generally have very good players, but when it comes to the tactical side he will always lose against better managers and that will surely happen in Brazil next season. It's a pity, because England is my second team after Norway (and we never qualify).

Sure you can say Fabio Capello didn't work out for England, but that doesn't mean the next top candidate will do the same. As for Roy, his fate is already sealed.

He was given about 5 minutes at Liverpool. He has managed Inter Milan, in which he took them 3rd and the UEFA cup final.Why is Hodgson's fate is sealed? England fans should not expect much, why should we? Outside of 1966, our international succes is about the same level as Sweden.

The FA wanted to go for a english manager after Capello stropped off. Hodgson was the ideal choice. The other alternative was arry redknapp who biggest job was at Tottenham Hotspur, in which he got them to the giddy hights of 4th. And got QPR and Southampton relegated. And helped to ruin Portsmouth financially before jumping ship.  But because he has mates in the media, we all supposed to think him of some sort of mangerial genius,

Hodgson has never even mananged in the Champions League while Rednapp has got to the quarter-finals which is the best ever performance by an English manager.

Have to laugh at this, I'm not a huge fan of Roy, but common sense is needed here. The man took Inter to win the Uefa Cup, in my opinion his achievement of taking Fulham to Europa League Cup final with his resources is better than what Harry achieved with Spurs in the Champions League.

Yeah that would have been all well and good, except for the fact that he didn't win anything with Internazionale. Besides, this was back in 1997! A lot has changed since then, Roy Hodgson not so much.

Yeah that would have been all well and good, except for the fact that he didn't win anything with Internazionale. Besides, this was back in 1997! A lot has changed since then, Roy Hodgson not so much.

Sorry my bad, should read Wiki properly haha. Like I said I'm not a huge fan of Hodgson however you state that Redknapps performance is the best ever performance by an English manager, when it clearly isn't.

Lucky with Bale??

If memory serves me correct it was rumoured in the press that Spuds were ready to sell Bale for 1m until Redknapp went to Tottenham and was instrumental in getting Bale to play in the way he does today.

While Redknapp hasn't won a lot trophy wise he does get his team's playing good football and likes players who have technical ability.

I dont think your memory is serving you correct as Bale was a reserve under Harry and was being shipped out to Forest or sha until an injury crisis forced him to play him

Sorry my bad, should read Wiki properly haha. Like I said I'm not a huge fan of Hodgson however you state that Redknapps performance is the best ever performance by an English manager, when it clearly isn't.

It is in the Champions League.

Lucky with Bale??

I dont think your memory is serving you correct as Bale was a reserve under Harry and was being shipped out to Forest or sha until an injury crisis forced him to play him

Harry was the one who moved him from left back to left wing so he should take the credit for Bale's transformation.

• Like 1

TRS-T you can see how that comes across as slightly disingenuous.  The CL is an arbitrary cutoff point in the same way that 'in the Premier League era' is used as a way of dismissing the achievements of things that went before it.  The Champions League is the current guise for Europe's top club competition.  Before that it was the European Cup and English managers won it.  You can't say "best ever" which implies "all time" and then use 1992 as your cutoff point.  On that basis Redknapp's 'achievement' amounts to precisely nothing.

I'm not saying that Redknapp is the best ever English manager I'm saying that he's the best current English manager.

That's why we only need to talk about the Champions League era because Englishmen who managed in the European Cup will all be retired by now.

Edited by TRS-T

I'm not saying that Redknapp is the best ever English manager I'm saying that he's the best current English manager.

That's why we only need to talk about the Champions League era because Englishmen who managed in the European Cup will all be retired by now.

That's fine, but your OP can be taken 2 ways particularly with your use of the term "best ever" (i.e. people will take it the other way) . I think that's probably where the problem with it lies. Especially on a Villa forum where you'll always be pulled up with a Tony Barton link :P  'Know your audience' as they say :)

I totally agree with that as well, because in no way did I talk about Harry Redknapp in my original post :)

i actually think England will win this game 2-1 considering Germany missing a lot of good players

problem is then media will forget the Chile game and then make England favourites again for World Cup

Can't see it.  The press love in with England ended about five minutes after the 0-0 draw with Algeria in the 2010 World Cup.  It was dead and buried after the Germany game in the same tournament. It's yet to recover. 

England team to face Germany: Hart; Walker, Jagielka, Smalling, Cole; Gerrard, Cleverley, Lallana, Rooney, Townsend; Sturridge

Formation 4-2-3-1

Not terrible with the obvious exception of Cleverley who just isn't deserving of a start right now. Personally I don't like the two centre-backs as well but I suppose our options are limited. I'd like to see Caulker in the squad and probably in the team for the world cup.  

Lucky with Bale??

Oh i think my memory is fine on this one.

Â