England v Chile & England v Germany

andykeenan

he didn't pick the 3 Southampton players when they were playing this well last year, flavour of the month, when they end up about 7th / 8th and start to slip from the spotlight then we'll see how many of them get called up, like I said if carrolls fit he'll be back in the frame, wouldn't be surprised if Southampton have the number of players in the England WC squad as us

Lambert was called up before and lallana is there to stay. I just honestly don't think we have anyone who has done enough to justify selection. Delph is closest but there is still lack of end product to his game. You can't compare to Cleverley because he's a different type of player.

You talk about end product but goals and assists aren't really part of Delph's game.

Yes the same way goals weren't really apart of Heskey's game. It didn't mean we accepted him not producing them.

Edited by Isa

Lallana and Rodriguez are in the same boat Young and Gabby were when Villa were high up the table. Talented players playing in a team high in confidence but ultimately are not good enough to make a difference for England and will be found out eventually.

Disagree about Lallana. He has leadership qualities than Young doesn't have. He's not a winger either, although he can play there, so you cannot make a direct comparison (he's one of those rare attacking midfielders). I'd play Gabby for England ahead of Young.

Edited by Con

then what is that would make him add to the England squad?

Almost everything else (bar tackling). He adds a lot to the Villa team and would at least add more to England than Cleverley.

he didn't pick the 3 Southampton players when they were playing this well last year, flavour of the month, when they end up about 7th / 8th and start to slip from the spotlight then we'll see how many of them get called up, like I said if carrolls fit he'll be back in the frame, wouldn't be surprised if Southampton have the number of players in the England WC squad as us

Lambert was called up before and lallana is there to stay. I just honestly don't think we have anyone who has done enough to justify selection. Delph is closest but there is still lack of end product to his game. You can't compare to Cleverley because he's a different type of player.

You talk about end product but goals and assists aren't really part of Delph's game.

Yes the same way goals weren't really apart of Heskey's game. It didn't mean we accepted him not producing them.

Delph isn't a striker.

Sorry but what is his role then? I know he works very hard and drives forward with the ball and takes on players and those parts of his game are very good. He's similar to wilshere but even he gets the odd goal and assist. 

this is my team

keeper.png
Depends on Form

home.png
Walker
home.png
Cahill
home.png
Jagielka
home.png
Baines

home.png
Townsend
home.png
Gerrard
home.png
Oxlade-Chamberlain

home.png
Walcott
home.png
Lambert
home.png
Rooney

Counter-attack set up, with Lambert in for the set-pieces.

That right wing would just obliterate any side with its pace.

this is my team

keeper.png
Depends on Form

home.png
Walker
home.png
Cahill
home.png
Jagielka
home.png
Baines

home.png
Townsend
home.png
Gerrard
home.png
Oxlade-Chamberlain

home.png
Walcott
home.png
Lambert
home.png
Rooney

We'd be killed with only one midfield player

• Like 1

this is my team

keeper.png
Depends on Form

home.png
Walker
home.png
Cahill
home.png
Jagielka
home.png
Baines

home.png
Townsend
home.png
Gerrard
home.png
Oxlade-Chamberlain

home.png
Walcott
home.png
Lambert
home.png
Rooney

Maybe Lambert should get a serious go over Sturridge. 

Gerrard on his own in central midfield would be funny though. Given he likes to drop backwards to take the ball off the centre backs (presumably because he doesn't trust them to pass the ball ten yards) we'd be left with no central midfield a lot of the time. It's like a christmas pudding formation with no centre. Let's call it the souffle. 

• Like 1

I'm of the belief that if you're not playing regularly, you shouldn't be picked for England.

Doesn't matter if you're good, if you're not regularly playing you won't be good enough.

People like Cleverly, Sterling, Oxlade Chamberlain, Milner etc shouldn't be in the team (I know some of those aren't at the moment, but they have been in the past under those circumstances)

A policy like this would benefit the England team in the long term I reckon. It would encourage the people who actually want to play for england to play for teams where they play every week.

(obviously you could make exceptions in specific circumstances)

• Like 1

I can't see us making any progress at the world cup with a CB pairing of Jagielka and Cahill

Just thinking about it makes me want to vomit into my coffee

Jagielka is the better of an average pair I really don't rate Cahill since he joined Chelsea

I'll be very interested to see if Carroll gets called up when he returns to fitness. The sad thing is he probably will - despite not playing for ages and never being that good in the first place. No doubt though whatever Hodgson does will get defended to the hilt by the media and most people.

Delph isn't a striker.

Wooooosh!

What did I miss then? The comparison was flawed because Delph isn't a striker therefore it isn't his main job to score goals. Likewise, he isn't an attacking or creative midfielder either so again it isn't his job to create assists.

It's bizarre really. When talked about in a purely Villa context people on here are positive about Delph and rightly praise him for his performances yet when it comes to England he gets very unfairly slated and crticicised.

so he doesnt produce goals, assists or tackles. Plus his passing isnt great so cant compare to Carrick.

I like Delph a very improved player but he isnt good enough for England squad......................yet

Your original point was 'goals and assists aren't really part of Delph's game' but just because he isn't producing them doesn't mean that he isn't expected to.

Is he expected to? I certainly don't. I expect him to run our midfield and drive forward with his mazy runs and he does that well.

so he doesnt produce goals, assists or tackles. Plus his passing isnt great so cant compare to Carrick.

I like Delph a very improved player but he isnt good enough for England squad......................yet

If Cleverley is good enough then so is Delph.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

The thing is, most people aren't really saying he is. All they're saying is he's more deserving of it than Cleverly. Which is true.

Neither of them should be in the squad.

But if one of them HAD to be, I'd certainly be choosing Delph over Cleverly.

• Like 1

Â