England v Chile & England v Germany

andykeenan

but if looked at hard facts of zero goals, zero assists and 3 yellow cards in 9 games is not going to really tempt Hodgson to call him up.

have said before if he adds goals or assists he will be a certainty for a call up

Is that true?! Or have you included 6 games which he's not featured in?

but if looked at hard facts of zero goals, zero assists and 3 yellow cards in 9 games is not going to really tempt Hodgson to call him up.

have said before if he adds goals or assists he will be a certainty for a call up

'Hard facts' and stats are for internet arguments. It depends on the role he wants him to play. Given the relative abundance of attacking midfield threats at the England national team's disposal, it's sensible to think Delph would be brought in for a more defensive/anchor/workhorse role.

Yeah I get that argument and I'd have put it forward in the past. But he has improved in that area now. He's not quite the liability he used to be. I think any cards owe more to the position he plays now than to the player himself. There are exceptions (Everton IIRC) but on the whole I think that argument is slightly out of date.

I think any team that has room for Cleverly (starting tonight) should atleast have room in the squad for Delph. That said, there have been a fair few (perhaps more deserving) debuts lately, and perhaps Hodgson fears changing too much, too quickly. There's also the train of thought that the players who got us to the World Cup are the ones who deserve to play there.

Yeah I get that argument and I'd have put it forward in the past. But he has improved in that area now. He's not quite the liability he used to be. I think any cards owe more to the position he plays now than to the player himself. There are exceptions (Everton IIRC) but on the whole I think that argument is slightly out of date.

the tottenham one as well was very stupid 

There's also the train of thought that the players who got us to the World Cup are the ones who deserve to play there.

Most of the time the ones that got you there are legitimately the best ones to bring with you, rather than it being out of some sentimental debt to them. But on the occasions where there is someone better, there is no room IMO for sentimentality. Yeah, I can be a hard ass :)

the tottenham one as well was very stupid

That might be the one I'm thinking of. He tracked back to the leftback position late in the game and just went through the guy almost as if all he wanted from the challenge was a yellow card :lol:

There's also the train of thought that the players who got us to the World Cup are the ones who deserve to play there.

Most of the time the ones that got you there are legitimately the best ones to bring with you, rather than it being out of some sentimental debt to them. But on the occasions where there is someone better, there is no room IMO for sentimentality. Yeah, I can be a hard ass :)

True enough.

You'd have to assume that Hodgson believes his current crop to be his best crop, and a couple of promising (Chile apart) results will probably have cemented that thought. I just don't think there will be enough open spots to allow Delph a way into the team. When you consider that Barkely and Lallana are well on their way to becoming permanent fixtures in the squad, I just don't think Hodgson will be looking to bring any more midfield debutants into the team.

That said, I do think he deserves a chance. He could bring the kind of drive and ambition that are often sadly lacking in the England team, particularly a Wilshere-less one.

True enough.

You'd have to assume that Hodgson believes his current crop to be his best crop, and a couple of promising (Chile apart) results will probably have cemented that thought. I just don't think there will be enough open spots to allow Delph a way into the team. When you consider that Barkely and Lallana are well on their way to becoming permanent fixtures in the squad, I just don't think Hodgson will be looking to bring any more midfield debutants into the team.

That said, I do think he deserves a chance. He could bring the kind of drive and ambition that are often sadly lacking in the England team, particularly a Wilshere-less one.

That's true although i don't think Lallana and Barkely are on the plane just yet.  Hodgson is going to announce an initial squad after this match and if Delph is not in that we can assume he wont get in the final one.

Not sure about that BOF.

If the manager views one player having more ability than the other and that player isn't getting game time at his club either through injury or just through better players being at his respective club then the manager should choose that player irrespective of the circumstance.

Moreover being 'our player of the month every month this season' should not guarantee selection for the national team.

No manager is infallible - and that includes Hodgson. Even Man United fans I know think Delph should be called up ahead of Cleverley.

Edited by Mantis

Â