England v Chile & England v Germany

andykeenan

Didn't watch the game as I couldn't give a shit about these friendlies. England qualifying is all I hoped for. If they get to a fourth game next summer I'll be happy.

I'm currently more interested in Portugal and France, hopefully, not qualifying.

• Like 1

What tonight showed is that Chile are far superior to majority of teams in the European qualification and that South America fully deserves it's 5 automatic places (plus Brazil as hosts).

England will do well to get out of the group stage next year. Chile came and outplayed them in English conditions, next time that will be in South American conditions. I think people are underestimate how much of an advantage that will be for South American teams. I really can't see a European team winning it.

July is considered a winter month in Brazil, well at least in Rio since it's the only city I've been in. Mornings/nights are like European nights in the summer, if not even chillier. It seldom rains in July/August, so playing conditions should be exactly like playing in Germany or in England during the summer only more stable. Can be hot, but it's like 25 degrees and the humidity is nothing like Thailand :)

What tonight showed is that Chile are far superior to majority of teams in the European qualification and that South America fully deserves it's 5 automatic places (plus Brazil as hosts).

England will do well to get out of the group stage next year. Chile came and outplayed them in English conditions, next time that will be in South American conditions. I think people are underestimate how much of an advantage that will be for South American teams. I really can't see a European team winning it.

A European team never wins in South America so nothing will change here. We saw last night with Colombia beating Belgium although it was slightly different as benteke should have scored at least 2 before they scored. 

July is considered a winter month in Brazil, well at least in Rio since it's the only city I've been in. Mornings/nights are like European nights in the summer, if not even chillier. It seldom rains in July/August, so playing conditions should be exactly like playing in Germany or in England during the summer only more stable. Can be hot, but it's like 25 degrees and the humidity is nothing like Thailand :)

It's not just the weather, the pitches are generally bumpier and the ball flys slightly differently through the air.

The problem is Roy Hodgson.

Don't care about the game tonight, that team is obviously not the one fielded in Brazil next year.

He is surely a good guy, but did he get the job because he is the oldest, longest serving manager from England? He failed at Liverpool, as expected by everyone in the world, so England is the next, natural step after doing a decent job at Fulham where expectations are minimal? It makes absolutely no sense at all. I can see the headlines already, Roy Hodgson sacked by media before the tournament has even begun. I wouldn't want to be him come August 2014...

He has never been a good manager, and England needs someone to take charge and impose himself on the team. Someone who strikes fear but as the same time gets the utmost respect from each and every player. England can pay the top dollar for any available manager, I don't know who it is, but Hodgson should be like #78 on the list of eligible candidates. 

Edited by Papillon

It's not just the weather, the pitches are generally bumpier and the ball flys slightly differently through the air.

Bumpier pitches? I guess the groundsmen are given higher budgets to sort that out if the grass is not up to standards. Were there any problems in South Africa? As for flying differently through the air, why would that happen? If the games are being played close to the sea, it should be no difference from Europe. I understand that Bolivia have an advantage when they play 3000m above sea-level, but are many stadiums located anywhere near that altitude? Besides, most of the players in the WC plays in Europe on a daily basis. Should be equal to all as they get weeks of preparation in advance.

Don't care about the game tonight, that team is obviously not the one fielded in Brazil next year.

He is surely a good guy, but did he get the job because he is the oldest, longest serving manager from England? He failed at Liverpool, as expected by everyone in the world, so England is the next, natural step after doing a decent job at Fulham where expectations are minimal? It makes absolutely no sense at all. I can see the headlines already, Roy Hodgson sacked by media before the tournament has even begun. I wouldn't want to be him come August 2014...

He has never been a good manager, and England needs someone to take charge and impose himself on the team. Someone who strikes fear but as the same time gets the utmost respect from each and every player. England can pay the top dollar for any available manager, I don't know who it is, but Hodgson should be like #78 on the list of eligible candidates. 

In fairness every single manager has failed since Alf Ramsey in 66. We don't have a large pool of players to pick from. 

Who on earth was in goal for England tonight? I've genuinely no idea who that was

That would be the Celtic goalie, who incidentally is about SPL standard.

Townsend is an enormous hype-job as well.

He's no Gareth Bale tha'ts for sure but I think its harsh to say he's an enormous hype job. He played really well in England's last two qualifiers so has justified the hype, but for him to continue doing that is  impossible.

Well they tried it with Capello and it was a dismal world cup performance.

Woy gets loads of stick on here but I'm really struggling to understand more he can do, he's given a ridiculous number of caps to young players in his 18 months in charge (half of which haven't earnt it from limited club appearences like Zaha and Sterling) so he's given youth a chance and the football is no better or worse than under other England managers since Glenn Hoddle.

The simple truth is this is not a great generation of English footballers particularly as the better ones are now in their 30s and will be retiring shortly.

• Like 1

Bumpier pitches? I guess the groundsmen are given higher budgets to sort that out if the grass is not up to standards. Were there any problems in South Africa? As for flying differently through the air, why would that happen? If the games are being played close to the sea, it should be no difference from Europe. I understand that Bolivia have an advantage when they play 3000m above sea-level, but are many stadiums located anywhere near that altitude? Besides, most of the players in the WC plays in Europe on a daily basis. Should be equal to all as they get weeks of preparation in advance.

Watch games in south America compared to European games, the ball will generally bounce up more than when it's passed along the ground. I think England commented on this when they played the Brazil friendly last summer.

I think Manuas or one of the Brazil cities hosting games is above altitude a bit. All I'm saying is the 6 south American teams will be more at home to this than European teams and obviously there's only 8 groups so England are highly likely to draw one.

Watch games in south America compared to European games, the ball will generally bounce up more than when it's passed along the ground. I think England commented on this when they played the Brazil friendly last summer.

I think Manuas or one of the Brazil cities hosting games is above altitude a bit. All I'm saying is the 6 south American teams will be more at home to this than European teams and obviously there's only 8 groups so England are highly likely to draw one.

OK fair enough, I do agree they will be more at home of course, no matter how traveled these guys are in Europe it will be an experience to land in Brazil and play with the atmosphere going on there.

Hodgson is a decent manager and deserved a chance to manage england. The problem for roy is that you can't polish a turd.

That is the problem though. You call him decent, which is almost the same as mediocre. If he was a club he would be the equivalent of Fulham or WBA, not even Everton or Tottenham. He has never done a great job anywhere important, he has managed 15+ clubs over his career and all he has won is a few trophies in Scandinavia. That was in the 70's and 80's! Oh, one league trophy from Denmark with Copenhagen in 2000/2001. Copenhagen are like Rosenborg, they have much more money than the rest and generally win every other season. Not that it matters of course, because they man is old school and he clearly failed when he was at Liverpool. Liverpool are much like England in a way, the team is not the best but the fans/media demand that they fight for every trophy. England have lots of match-winners and can objectively speaking win the World Cup next season. If Greece can win the EC, if Porto can win the Champions League and so on, then England can win the World Cup. There are of course teams like Argentina, Spain, Brazil, Holland, Germany and Italy with better players and/or incredible history in the WC, then there are England, Colombia, Uruguay, Belgium and Portugal + some other teams with a fighting chance to snatch it. But it takes a real leader to come from behind to do something spectacular like that, and Roy Hodgson is obviously not that man. This is a manager who fits well with Fulham and WBA, because that is his level. They don't expect much, the players aren't that good and the fans will likely treat you well even though you are 14th come Christmas. At Liverpool he was a bad fit from day 1 and he got sacked because he couldn't mold them into anything special. They didn't do better because of him and it's exactly the same with England. They will win a few games because they generally have very good players, but when it comes to the tactical side he will always lose against better managers and that will surely happen in Brazil next season. It's a pity, because England is my second team after Norway (and we never qualify).

Sure you can say Fabio Capello didn't work out for England, but that doesn't mean the next top candidate will do the same. As for Roy, his fate is already sealed.

Edited by Papillon

Â