Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

Especially as we've got Bent coming back in the Summer and I can't see us being able to shift him easily. Quite a fall from grace, that.

That is quite a worry actually. He has done next to f all at Fulham so you wouldn't imagine clubs will be lining up to take him and his 80k a week wages off us. In fact I very much doubt Bent could command 40k a week now given he has scored 14 league goals in the last 2 and half seasons.

Come the summer we are looking at letting him go for nothing or another season out on loan with us again picking up half his wages.

I imagine one of the big add ons in his 18mill fee rising to 24 mill was us staying up in 10/11 so I'd say we have paid around 21 mill for him. Pound for pound given wages and the fee ( we must be looking at 35 mill + including wages ) he must be one of the worst signings we have made. I think given the squad we had in 10/11 we'd have stayed up regardless of signing him. In fact given the squad we had we should never have been in trouble.

It just goes to show I guess you need to be careful panic buying in January as you can end up living with the consequences for a long time.

good post mark....spot on

I actually don't see the fuss over us not getting any more in, we've got 2 in already, 1 maybe not needed, 1 looks very good so far

thing is what does signing 2/3 players now actually achieve? give us a push to catch Southampton in 9th 5 points ahead of us? or really push the boat out and try and catch Newcastle in 8th 10 points ahead of us?

we'll be safely mid table, as many predicted, boring as it may be, spending £10-15m now on harder to get maybe not 1st choice targets might not do anything, save the energy and the cash till the summer

is that saying that we've given up or gone small time, not in my mind its a realistic view of both villa and the January transfer window as a whole

But if we could get that one quality midfielder who vastly improves the team, that 9th or 8th place would generate more prize money meaning more could be spent in the summer. It would also mean that the player would be acclimatised to our team and players hopefully meaning that we could push on next yr and not have a complete rebuild again next summer Edited by mikeyp102

I actually don't see the fuss over us not getting any more in, we've got 2 in already, 1 maybe not needed, 1 looks very good so far

thing is what does signing 2/3 players now actually achieve? give us a push to catch Southampton in 9th 5 points ahead of us? or really push the boat out and try and catch Newcastle in 8th 10 points ahead of us?

we'll be safely mid table, as many predicted, boring as it may be, spending £10-15m now on harder to get maybe not 1st choice targets might not do anything, save the energy and the cash till the summer

is that saying that we've given up or gone small time, not in my mind its a realistic view of both villa and the January transfer window as a whole

But if we could get that one quality midfielder who vastly improves the team, that 9th or 8th place would generate more prize money meaning more could be spent in the summer. It would also mean that the player would be acclimatised to our ram and players hopefully meaning that we could push on next yr and not have a complete rebuild again next summer

According to this :

http://anfieldindex.com/5707/the-financial-importance-of-a-good-premier-league-finish-for-liverpool.html

Each place up the league table in 2013/14 is worth an additional £1,126,750, which is quite a jump from the £755,062 last year.

So if we were to finish 10th this year that would mean a prize money receipt of £12,394,250, as opposed to the £4,530,372 we got last year for finishing 15th - nearly an £8m difference.  Given how close the table is this year, a bit of an investment now might be a good idea. 

• Like 1

But if we could get that one quality midfielder who vastly improves the team, that 9th or 8th place would generate more prize money meaning more could be spent in the summer. It would also mean that the player would be acclimatised to our ram and players hopefully meaning that we could push on next yr and not have a complete rebuild again next summer

According to this :

http://anfieldindex.com/5707/the-financial-importance-of-a-good-premier-league-finish-for-liverpool.html

Each place up the league table in 2013/14 is worth an additional £1,126,750, which is quite a jump from the £755,062 last year.

So if we were to finish 10th this year that would mean a prize money receipt of £12,394,250, as opposed to the £4,530,372 we got last year for finishing 15th - nearly an £8m difference. Given how close the table is this year, a bit of an investment now might be a good idea.

That's a very good point.

According to this :

So if we were to finish 10th this year that would mean a prize money receipt of £12,394,250, as opposed to the £4,530,372 we got last year for finishing 15th - nearly an £8m difference.  Given how close the table is this year, a bit of an investment now might be a good idea. 

To gamble on prize money?  Why? :|

So I guess all the action happens tomorrow

Of course. Sky want it that way. Big viewing figures. Money. All the rest of it.

It's a conspiracy, I tells ye.

You'll be watching or listening avidly, though, won't ya......go on admit it

Edited by AValon

You keep saying gamble. Do you not trust the manager to sign the right players?

And 'the plan' is to spend what we can afford. Would an increase in tv revenue not help this?

Any signing is always a gamble of sorts, no matter who the player in question is, I think that is just common sense

And 'the plan' is to spend what we can afford. Would an increase in tv revenue not help this?

Any signing is always a gamble of sorts, no matter who the player in question is, I think that is just common sense

So should we not sign anyone?

So should we not sign anyone?

Did I say that? You're putting words in my mouth

Â