Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

Isn't Holtby on around £70,000/week though.

Didn't we just sell a guy earning that much?

So your idea of how to run the club is to clear the big earners then make the same mistakes again ? 

Way to go.

I actually don't see the fuss over us not getting any more in, we've got 2 in already, 1 maybe not needed, 1 looks very good so far

thing is what does signing 2/3 players now actually achieve? give us a push to catch Southampton in 9th 5 points ahead of us? or really push the boat out and try and catch Newcastle in 8th 10 points ahead of us?

we'll be safely mid table, as many predicted, boring as it may be, spending £10-15m now on harder to get maybe not 1st choice targets might not do anything, save the energy and the cash till the summer

is that saying that we've given up or gone small time, not in my mind its a realistic view of both villa and the January transfer window as a whole

Sadly I kind of agree with you, i'm starting to think we will be fine, and should turn our attention to good investment in the summer. RB, CM, AM (Hopefully get to keep Bertrand at LB), and maybe shift a couple of the poorer ones out. We could do well even courting a top target from now, perhaps even on a pre contract etc.

That being said i'd still be happy with one more, Hoolahan isnt too expensive fee or wage wise.

So your idea of how to run the club is to clear the big earners then make the same mistakes again ?

Way to go.

Make the same mistakes? What is Lewis Holtby guaranteed to be shit?

#avfc missing out on both Tom Ince and Lewis Holtby on loan, instead focussing their sole attention and effort to Wes Hoolihan #ridiculous

So says who?

Edit: Is that your own tweet?

ITK ;) shocking really that we haven't even bothered to bid for either of them. Ince is off to Palace and Holtby to Fulham, would we honestly not be a more favourable club to come to then a relegation threatened club who have lost 16 games this season and Palace??

Everyone's assuming the manager is on the same saved game of football manager that they are.

I'd be surprised if there was even any interest from us in either player, and frankly i'd be happier if there wasn't. Holtby while a decent player before signing for Spurs has done nothing since signing for them, and certainly doesn't justify the supposed £70k/week, and Ince would be a costly loan with no chance of a permanent signing, plus he's the son of Paul Ince so h's bound to have a bad attitude.

Regarding transfers it seems to me you either trust the manager or you don't, but the manager does seem to have bought into the philosophy of buying young, hungry players with a decent resale value.

I agree with BJ10 though, at some point we have to get to the point where we can't reduce the wage bill further, there has to be a point where we are bringing in more players in the £30k - £50k per week wage rather than sub £10k wages. I wonder if Lambert is the right man for that time, he as no track record of making bgger signings.

Well not guaranteed no, but then neither was Ireland, and look how that turned out.

Holtby has done nothing at Spurs and would be a risk in my opinion.

Way to go.

the amount was never the mistake, the mistake was  the players being paid that amount

• Like 2

Well not guaranteed no, but then neither was Ireland, and look how that turned out.

Ireland had been shit at City before he came to us

Way to go.

the amount was never the mistake, the mistake was  the players being paid that amount

Agreed, and even more of a reason not to take a player that has failed to have an impact at Spurs who is rumoured to be earning £70,000 per week.

Ireland had been shit at City before he came to us

As i remember it though the consensus at the time was that we'd got a good deal and he'd raise his game again.

Of course hindsight tells us Ireland only ever looked good when he played alongside Elano and Robinho.

Edited by dukes

Haven't seen it in here but Lambert has said that we aren't interested in Lescott - clicky herey.

That's a shame as I had hoped he'd be the mini-melt down and is the type of player we should be targeting to help the younger players.

The same Lescott who is apparently going to West Ham, taking a pay cut and will now only be getting £90k a week?

No thank you.

I would hope we get at least 1 player tomorrow.  However with Benteke back on form and if Vlaar stays fit I think we will be fine to go as we are. I wouldnt be too happy about it as we will then be 1 injury away from relegation fodder.

Haven't seen it in here but Lambert has said that we aren't interested in Lescott - clicky herey.

That's a shame as I had hoped he'd be the mini-melt down and is the type of player we should be targeting to help the younger players.

The same Lescott who is apparently going to West Ham, taking a pay cut and will now only be getting £90k a week?

No thank you.

Thought it was 90k a week until the end of the season and 50k for 3 years after. Edited by limvillian

Haven't seen it in here but Lambert has said that we aren't interested in Lescott - clicky herey.

No thank you.

Thought it was 90k a week until the end of the season and 50k for 3 years after.

Sounds a bit like a Shay Given pay cut to me, and that worked out well for us! I'd like a Holtby kind of player but £70k a week for someone unproven, certainly in the Premier League, just isn't worth the punt to me. We could find someone to do the same job for half that quite easily, especially in the summer.

No thank you.

Thought it was 90k a week until the end of the season and 50k for 3 years after.

Oh well that's OK then ;)

Clark has shown big improvement, Vlaar is the man and we've that lad Okore to come back soon enough. I was good with Lescott on loan, but on a perm he makes no sense whatsoever.

Don't fancy our chances with anything tomorrow, and to be honest won't be as disappointed as perhaps if this was the case earlier in the window (that's what a win will do for you).

Looking at the squad, I hope we are now at the point where Lambert is now looking at players for the first team, decent players who'll give that bit of quality - not squad 'fillers' like Sylla, Bowery etc. Those are the types of players we need and I'd rather that money wasn't just wasted on these and saved until the summer.

Especially as we've got Bent coming back in the Summer and I can't see us being able to shift him easily. Quite a fall from grace, that.

I agree with you.

I would like Hoolahan or somebody like him. Cheap enough, experienced enough that can provide a short term fix to a long term problem. But if we need to wait till the summer and go with what we have for the longer term fixes then I'm fine with that.

We're not going down, clearly.

• Like 1

Â