Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

Hmmmm

We do need CB cover. So again, this makes sense on a pragmatic level.

But.

I'm sick of Lambert signing cover players. Our first team is exceptionally poor, yet all we seem to sign is bastarding cover players. Another player deemed not yet good enough to go into a team that's already a load of crap.

As I say, signing a backup centre back makes some sense. But what would make a hell of a lot more sense would be signing someone who could help to improve the first team and go some way to improving our woeful football.

W are signing players to get us through to January and hopefully Hoolahan on a short term deal,  then hopefully we will sign quality younger players in the summer as we would have to pay way over the odds in January.   I'd be fine with Grant,Dann & Hoolahan this window, gives us experienced players we need.  Would also like a left sided winger but an attacking midfielder would take priority over that.

Faulkner admitted in his interview with Tom Dross that January was a bad time to buy so I suspect this is why the signings are short gap loans rather than permanent deals. 

I'm okay with this in principle if it means we buy better in the summer. I'd be royally pissed off if the sum total of our ambition in August are the likes of Grant Holt and Scott Dann.

• Like 1

Spending should be by enlarge always done in the summer something might come up in January like a short term loan or a player you have been after for years but buying in January is a result of bad planning usually.

Best signing we could make is the now ex Southampton chairman.

dann would start surly?? him and ron @ the back , it will be clark/baker as cover IMO.

Thought he was in his 30s but hes still only 26 and if he can get that form back then  it could become a bargain :).

Rckon Clark/Baker would play left back as they might not be great at going forward but are way better than Tony Moon defensively.  Clark looked ok going forward from left back last time he played there as well 

Hmmmm

We do need CB cover. So again, this makes sense on a pragmatic level.

But.

I'm sick of Lambert signing cover players. Our first team is exceptionally poor, yet all we seem to sign is bastarding cover players. Another player deemed not yet good enough to go into a team that's already a load of crap.

As I say, signing a backup centre back makes some sense. But what would make a hell of a lot more sense would be signing someone who could help to improve the first team and go some way to improving our woeful football.

W are signing players to get us through to January and hopefully Hoolahan on a short term deal, then hopefully we will sign quality younger players in the summer as we would have to pay way over the odds in January. I'd be fine with Grant,Dann & Hoolahan this window, gives us experienced players we need. Would also like a left sided winger but an attacking midfielder would take priority over that.

Yup, I completely accept the practicality of the signing. There's no disputing that. I could even be convinced that it could be a very good signing.

But, I still stand by my original point. There's limited value in signing squad players when your first team is so poor. Hoolahan I could absolutely get, because he would improve our first team, if only for a short time. Another squad player isn't going to help us massively and I'd rather the money was spent on the number 10 we so desperately need.

Howard Hodgson@HodgsonHoward Protected Tweets6 mins

@Chrsmo @amc89avfc @Mr_AVFC Good source. Signing tomorrow, should of been today.. That is all I know

What do we know about Howard?

He really wants you to know he sits in the owner's suite.

Funny, that cos I just flicked through a couple of his posts and he's a bit in your face about this owners box malarky!

Wash your mouth out with soap and water!! He never talks about sitting in the directors' box or his car,  or his wife's car, or his boat, or his house and he never ever post pictures of them on twitter.

Living in the north west I know a couple of Blackburn fans & just received a text from one of them:

"You seen the rumours about Scott Dann? Can't say I'd be devastated if he left, he's solid enough for Champo but definitely replaceable. I'd be very worried if he's Lambert's idea of strengthening your back 4. Quite a jittery player & an ex-Blue...."

For me , Clark is a better CB than Dann.

Agree and Scott Dann is still on a big wage at Blackburn. Said in paper the other day he'd have to drop wages to join Palace. Reportedly on £32k a week, which is more than most of our current crop.

Did anyone know that Howard Hodgson sits in the directors box?

It's Scott Dann apparently. Mother of God.

Did well against City first leg of the cup game.

He didn't fare so well conceding 3 goals to Blues the week before at Ewood Park mind. Dann is poor. Looked rubbish in prem with Blackburn and judging by Blackburn's record in the championship defensively for the past season and half. Last time he seemed decent was when he was like 23, pre injury at SHA.

I'd be pretty pissed with the signing of Dann if he is the player. Holt, Dann, not the sort of players to sort out dreadful home form out, unless Lambert thinks Dann+Holt = 10.

I seem to remember Dann and Johnson were a pretty good pairing at SHA. I suspect partnering him with Vlaar would create a much more solid defence. If it is to happen I would guess its an outright purchase. 

Did anyone know that Howard Hodgson sits in the directors box?

It's Scott Dann apparently. Mother of God.

Did well against City first leg of the cup game.

He didn't fare so well conceding 3 goals to Blues the week before at Ewood Park mind. Dann is poor. Looked rubbish in prem with Blackburn and judging by Blackburn's record in the championship defensively for the past season and half. Last time he seemed decent was when he was like 23, pre injury at SHA.

I'd be pretty pissed with the signing of Dann if he is the player. Holt, Dann, not the sort of players to sort out dreadful home form out, unless Lambert thinks Dann+Holt = 10.

I seem to remember Dann and Johnson were a pretty good pairing at SHA. I suspect partnering him with Vlaar would create a much more solid defence. If it is to happen I would guess its an outright purchase. 

Yeah, but since they've been separated, which has been a good 3/4 years (because of Danns long term injury at SHA and then being sold), both careers have gone down hill and have looked poor. Dann looked poor in the Premier League with Blackburn and doesn't sound like he's been great in the Championship for nearly 2 years. This is not the same Scott Dann of 2009.

Whats the point? Okore's back in March.

Edited by VillaRoy

I can't remember a more depressing window as a villa fan.

The Djemba-Djemba window

I'll raise you a can't afford Erik Bakke window.

yea

and ill raise you an Emile Heskey the window the dream died :(

We would have got champions league that year if only we made a decent friggin signing!

If only we'd signed Darren Bent to play with Gabby, Downing, Ash and Milner. Instead of after we'd started selling them all off.

If we sign Dann permanently then I would assume one of Clark, Vlaar or Baker is off?

If it's a loan then it means Okore won't need to be rushed back and we can cope with the inevitable injuries and suspensions.

Â