Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

--------------------------------------------------Guzan

--------????????-------------------Vlaar-----------Okore/Clark-----------------Bertrand

---------------------------------------------????????-------------------------------------------

------------------------------------????????------Delph---------------------------------------

----------Wiemann/?????????---------------------------------Agbonlahor/???????????

-------------------------------------------Benteke-------------------------------------------------

This is where we need signings now.

Nah this is where we need signings in the summer. What we need now is an AM and that would be good enough for the rest of this season.

Maybe a RB as well depending on how bad the Lowton situation is.

I do mean the summer, I just didn't want to start a fresh thread.

If we can get Hoolahan (swap for Hutton?) and Ince in this window, I would be delighted.

I thought Ince was off to Monaco on a free

Nzogbia will be sold when we can.
Faulkner said directly to one of my mates that Lambert has no time for him. Zog isn't interested in Villa unless he's involved. Doesn't turn up to awards or any other team activities unless he's forced. Said that if he wasn't injured, he would be gone.

I would love us to go all out to try and get Micah Richrds, he has made 9 appearences in the last 2 seasons. Even on a loan our defence would look so much better, Bacuna and Lowton are liabilities, Lowton can't defend and Bacuna can't pass a ball.

-------------------Guzan----------------------

Richards---Vlaar------Clark------Bertrand

Sunday's are always a great day for scouting activity behind the scenes. While we're all busy glued to the message boards for melt down our conscientious scouts & hopefully PL are currently doing due diligence on our next prospective signings. I wonder who they are watching today?

NB - Yes. You did read that correctly. Signings not signing.

Keep 'em all coming.

@Wes:

Few thoughts, bit harsh and a waste to let Albrighton go for free. I'd sign him up even if it was just as a way to command a fee for him later on.

You've forgotten Carruthers who is doing very well on loan and Lowton doesn't figure in your team, or in those to move on.

IF we manage to shift Hutton, Given and Zog, we might well have more than £20m to spend on 3 or 4 positions. This time getting players with the intention of them filling a first team berth straight away, not to have more competition to get the best out of 2 competing prospects. That in itself will either force the other options for that place in the team to either match that level or find a new club.

I would love us to go all out to try and get Micah Richrds, he has made 9 appearences in the last 2 seasons. Even on a loan our defence would look so much better, Bacuna and Lowton are liabilities, Lowton can't defend and Bacuna can't pass a ball.

-------------------Guzan----------------------

Richards---Vlaar------Clark------Bertrand

Agree he would strengthen the team and has the potential to be a great player but is he ever not injured?

I still think Albrighton has a lot to offer the club. We haven't seen the best of him yet.

I think if we have any money we should use it on Bertrand.

Agreed. Should at least offer him another 2 year contract, I suspect on lower wages than he may currently be on though as he's been at the club a while so has potential to be up there with the higher earners.

Good post Wes.

For me though a defender's first priority is to defend, if he can play football/a pass, then that is a bonus for me.Bacuna is a far better defender than Lowton, and so for me i would persevere with him in a back line of

Bacuna .......Vlaar.......Okores.....Bennett/Bertrand.

That offers a good balance of pace, aggression, strength.imho.Delaney and Barratt were the best 2 defensive RBs i saw at VP in the last 40 years, and they were crap at going forward, but Giggs said Barratt was his toughest opponent.

In midfield, PL does seem to have a bit of an obsession with Westwood to me.He does see qualities in him that i can't see, and as you say he seems to be his project, around who he is going to base his team around.For me however i would play a diamond 4 away rom home, and 2 holding midfielders and an attacking midfielder just in front, a 4 :2:3 :1 system if you like, and i'm not sure Westwood has the right attributes to play in either system.Delph does, but we need , either Sylla to come good, or another player to come in to play on the right side of midfield, and a good attacking midfielder, a la Sissokho. Hoolihan could do that role for a while, but a Hughes/Lestienne kind of player is probably more needed.

@Wes:

Few thoughts, bit harsh and a waste to let Albrighton go for free. I'd sign him up even if it was just as a way to command a fee for him later on.

You've forgotten Carruthers who is doing very well on loan and Lowton doesn't figure in your team, or in those to move on.

IF we manage to shift Hutton, Given and Zog, we might well have more than £20m to spend on 3 or 4 positions. This time getting players with the intention of them filling a first team berth straight away, not to have more competition to get the best out of 2 competing prospects. That in itself will either force the other options for that place in the team to either match that level or find a new club.

I only dropped Albrighton because until recently he hasn't been in Lambert's thinking and his contract is up in the summer. It kind of depends on how much money we have to spend. In fact this would be a good tell. If we were to re-sign Albrighton for 2/3 years that says to me that there's either less money to spend than originally thought, or they'd rather spend more money on real quality in other areas. I think an injection of a youthful tricky winger/striker in to the side could freshen things up and keep everyone on their toes. Someone like Massimo Bruno of Anderlecht or Joel Campbell from Arsenal. That said I generally like Albrighton as a backup option for us on the right side and wouldn't have a problem if we kept him although I envision Bacuna supplanting him in that role eventually anyway.

Lowton - I think I put him in my team and dropped him again about 5 times as I was writing. In my write up I mention I'd like him to stay but of course off the field issues, there's just no way in knowing how that will turn out. I'd like him to stay because he's shown he can both anticipate the play and cross the ball well at times, he just needs to be able to make his reading off the game more consistent and become more stoic in 1v1 battles when he's on an island.

You've caught on to the point I was trying to make. We're close to being able to add real quality to the squad rather than sheer numbers, which was the approach we needed these past two seasons.

• Like 1

Â