Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

Anyone who even thinks that Hutton is a decent player and could do a job for Villa clearly has never been to a match in their life.

Away to Wigan, under Eck we drew 0-0.

During the entire game, Hutton was caught out of pos and Albrighton was more or less playing as a RB.

I picked that game as it sticks out in my memory like a sore thumb.

Terrible game.

Hutton is a useless player.

Anyone who even thinks that Hutton is a decent player and could do a job for Villa clearly has never been to a match in their life.

During the entire game, Hutton was caught out of pos and Albrighton was more or less playing as a RB.

Terrible game.

Hutton is better than Bennett or Luna, obviously they play on the other side but I think we have been willing to play with worse fullbacks than Hutton simply because of the wage issue. We don't even have a genuine right back backup and play Bacuna back there. Hutton would be ok for that if he was on low wages.

--------------------------------------------------Guzan

--------????????-------------------Vlaar-----------Okore/Clark-----------------Bertrand

---------------------------------------------????????-------------------------------------------

------------------------------------????????------Delph---------------------------------------

----------Wiemann/?????????---------------------------------Agbonlahor/???????????

-------------------------------------------Benteke-------------------------------------------------

This is where we need signings now.

--------????????-------------------Vlaar-----------Okore/Clark-----------------Bertrand

---------------------------------------------????????-------------------------------------------

------------------------------------????????------Delph---------------------------------------

----------Wiemann/?????????---------------------------------Agbonlahor/???????????

-------------------------------------------Benteke-------------------------------------------------

Nah this is where we need signings in the summer. What we need now is an AM and that would be good enough for the rest of this season.

Maybe a RB as well depending on how bad the Lowton situation is.

Nah this is where we need signings in the summer. What we need now is an AM and that would be good enough for the rest of this season.

Maybe a RB as well depending on how bad the Lowton situation is.

I do mean the summer, I just didn't want to start a fresh thread.

If we can get Hoolahan (swap for Hutton?) and Ince in this window, I would be delighted.

We need someone to play where Weimann played yesterday - top of the diamond.

I may be wrong but didn't Lambert play that sort of formation when he was at Norwich as well?

I believe he did and Hoolahan was always at the tip of the diamond iirc.

I'd love it if we signed Yannick Bolasie from Palace. 

We need more players with final product now.

Bolasie was my call in the Summer window. Everyone raves about Zaha but for me Bolasie is the better talent. Would love to see him in a Villa shirt.

A couple of Palace season ticket holders that work with me have been saying for the last 2 seasons that Bolasie is far better than Zaha.

It would need big money to tempt them to sell.

Bacuna, who wasn't far off MOM wouldn't get in?

A defence of Bacuna, Vlaar, Okores, and Bertrand, and i wouldn't rule out Bennett either, would be a good defence imho.

I still think Sylla will come good, and Delph has had a reasonable season.Not convinced about Westwood, so for me need at least 1 good midfielder, maybe 2, and good attacking wide players to put Gabby and Weimann under pressure.

Terrible game.

Whilst I agree that Hutton has failed at Villa Park I think if anybody had only watched his performance for Scotland against England at Wembley they would be more than impressed. I hope we're sending the DVD of that game to any interested suitors. Hopefully this window we can finally part company with Hutton & re-invest the wages saved elsewhere.

Last night I had a go at something similar to dodgyknees, looking ahead to the summer, this is what I came up with:

------------------------------ Guzan/Steer -----------------------------

?????/Bacuna - Okore/Baker -- Vlaar/Clark --- ?????/Luna

------------------------ Westwood/El Ahmadi (DM) -----------------

-------?????/Gardner (AM/CM) -- Delph/????? (CM) ----------

Weimann/????? ------------------------------- Agbonlahor/Tonev

--------------------------- Benteke/Kozak ----------------------------

Additional three: ?????, Sylla (M), Helenius (S)
Under 21s: Donacien (D), Grealish (M)

Likely people looking to be moved on:
Albrighton (Free)
Bennett (~£2m or a loan unless improvement in summer training)
Bent (Hard to value. High wages, not an attractive target(
Delfouneso (Free)
Given (~£1m-2m)
Herd (Free)
Hutton (~£1m)
N'Zogbia (Will likely stay with us next season. Hard for us and other teams to evaluate someone who has been out for a whole season on injury)

Thoughts:

I don't think Lambert has settled on a set way to play the central midfield and this has a direct impact on our attacking three, but not always necessarily in a bad way. We saw starting against Liverpool a diamond with Weimann playing at the top and Westwood at the base which has rarely happened this season. Bacuna and El Ahmadi were asked to push up further on the right as a result. The versatility of our attacking trio means we can adapt how we position them in the final third.
(The formation I've listed isn't anything but just an easier way of displaying roughly the area of the pitch they would lay in.)

You can't sign two players for the same singular position (such as RB) in the same window. I've put Bacuna as a right back here for this reason where as in reality he can play anywhere on the right side of the pitch.
With that said it would be a real boon to our transfer strategy moving forward if the issue with Lowton (whatever it is, frankly I don't care - it's none of my business and I don't think fans should get directly involved) could be resolved. He's an obvious talent despite his on-off performances when he has played this season. If we could keep him it frees us Bacuna to play further forward if we want and also means we don't have to go out and get another RB (I think this is why we've seen the Naughton rumours recently - which is funny as both he and Lowton were fighting for the same position at Sheffield United).

Whilst a lot of people have been clamouring for a stronger presence in defensive midfield I think Lambert is going to stick with Westwood and try to improve that side of his game. He's never going to be a de Jong type winner of the ball but he can settle things down nicely for us moving forward. Westwood is a bit of a project and I think Lambert is hoping by displaying some faith in the lad he'll be repaid with performances on the pitch. El Ahmadi is an adequate midfielder for us at the moment to slot in wherever in the midfield.

Rarely do players leave a club after just one year so I think Tonev will stay. Some players just take longer to settle than others.

Gary Gardner is a bit of a mystery. His contract is up in the summer I believe and he'll be over 21 so if we keep him he's going to use up one of the 25 slots from now on. I've gone with giving him an extension for now.

So that leaves the following holes: RB, LB, a CM project, an attack minded midfielder, and a wide, versatile talent. One of those (attacking midfielder) looks to be a target of ours this January and rightly so. Hoolahan would be a fine acquisition.

Even if our transfer budget was to remain the same next season, that would mean we have close to £20m to spend on 4 positions. Suddenly, to me, things don't look that bad.

Edited by Wes

Â