Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

"Damn, I wish that dozy Lambert could see what I could see. I conveniently forget that Lambert has come out numerous times and said that he wants a creative player in the number 10 role and continue ranting about something I obviously know more about"

Yet he's opted for target men cover with his budget.

He bought one in the summer. He wouldn't be getting Holt if Kozak didn't get injured.

He bought back up for a target man ahead of an AM. I'm the last person to defend the money he was given but I don't believe for one second he couldn't have signed someone like hoolahan in the summer if he wanted to.

That his job though. So you're telling me that there isn't a player out there for £5m who would prove to be a better long term investment than Hoolahan? I find that hard to believe? It's Lambert's obsession with a target man and his insistence of playing the one style of football with no Plan B. Lambert is definitely a student of MON!

You ignore his widely repeated and public statements that he wants a number 10. You have no idea how hard he's tried, or for whom, but you pronounce him a failure. I'm not telling you what does or doesn't exist, I'm pointing out that it's probably not as easy to do as it is to theorize. So, tell you what, if you "can't believe it" then name a player that fits all the criteria I listed added to a BPL squad this summer. Just one... I can guarantee he wont meet all the criteria I gave.

Edited by srsmithusa

Who you buy is not proof of who you want, or your priorities. A hint maybe, but by no means proof. Please drop the argument that he wanted another CF cover more than he wanted an AM. There's really no real proof of that.

I want a Mercedes, I bought a Chevrolet. What I bought is more related to the real world market than what I wanted.

I would have thought Paul Lambert would have at least some contacts from his time in Germany?  

Haven't we also got Michael Henke as our chief scout or something?

He quit after making several recommendations that were rejected as being too pricey, only for the players in question to subsequently develop into world class footballers.

(The first two words above are true, while the remainder is pure speculation.)

• Like 2

Unfortunately that rumour seems to have come from @AVFCTransTweet. 

Morley_Crosses_To_Withe posted about it 4 hours ago in this thread,  AVFCTRANSFERSHITETALK posted about it 1 hour ago so could be something in it as he obviously just read Morleys post and put some crap up on twitter trying to look itk 

Edited by Bunnski
  • Like 1

Think the darida one is from last january or summer. And he signed for freiburg then so seems very unlikely. Only played 2 games according to wiki :detect:

Wiki is wrong. He has been injured for parts of the season so far, but he has played many more games than that. 

Edited by Czechlad
  • Like 1

Who you buy is not proof of who you want, or your priorities. A hint maybe, but by no means proof. Please drop the argument that he wanted another CF cover more than he wanted an AM. There's really no real proof of that.

I want a Mercedes, I bought a Chevrolet. What I bought is more related to the real world market than what I wanted.

I wanted a Chevrolet I ended up with a Tandem :)

• Like 1

I wanted a Chevrolet I ended up with a Tandem :)

You lucky b*gger, what I wouldn't give to be the proud owner of a tandem! Still my unicycle's got a few miles in it yet. (as long as I keep it well away from Grant Holt)

Which is exactly my point. After signing 16 players and spending 40 plus million we are no better off than under previous managers.

Sigh.  I've been over all of this before but...

...we've reduced our outgoings significantly which has quite obviously held the club back (weren't we spending something crazy like 90% of our revenue on wages alone?).  A lot of this has revolved around getting rid of players that were initially signed up on silly contracts (entirely the club/Lerner's fault).  As these have been shipped out, we've needed to replace them with cheaper options on nowhere near as high wages to get the basis of a squad (which is what you bemoaned) in place.  Due to the age of most of these players, most would have some sort of resale value further down the line if we needed to sell.  This is essentially an added bonus as we're currently losing older players for nothing.

Once this squad is in place, as it pretty much is now, we should be looking to add quality players into it.  All of this can't be done within 18 months and, naturally, replacing an entire team or even a managerial set up (Man Utd, Tottenham, Watford, Wigan) will likely mean a decline in performances and quality until this comes to fruition.

If you think you're getting a quality squad and first team by spending £40m on 16 players you're on a drug that I'd love to get hold of.

More insults doesn't make your argument right homie as you like to call people.

He didn't have to replace an entire team though did he and he certainly didn't have to replace those already at the club with lower league and inexperienced players in what could only be deemed as a cull all at once. He was given a budget and as the Chief Executive has already stated it was up to Lambert how he spent that.

Interesting to find that now after a record of 50 games under Lambert with only 12 wins he has now decided that we need experienced players and before you go into the same tiresome and boring well used excuse of not being able to afford experienced players we have signed one on loan and been linked to another who's value is somewhere in the region of 1m which isn't far off in what we paid for several of Lambert's failed signings.

Ok homie?

I haven't insulted you once in there - just addressed what I saw fit r.e: your squad concerns.

I don't understand what you're not getting here though.  We've purchased a new squad.  A new squad!  The underpinning of this certainly seems to have been buying cheaper, younger players who have presumably been deemed to have certain qualities that could see them improve at a higher level whilst their age means they could be sold on if the situation arose.  You seem pretty fixated on the young issue, though.  Almost holding it to Lambert's head like a verbal gun.

Lambert has said previously that he prefers players who are "young and hungry" (or words to those effect) but I don't remember him ever saying that these are the only players he'd ever sign?  Indeed, Vlaar and KEA seem to go against this - along with the loan signing of Holt.  In my mind, once you have the makings of a squad in place, you can then assess where the weaknesses are and address them accordingly.  To me, this is roughly where we are now and a lot will depend on what budget is given to Lambert/whoever is the manager next during summer.  We need some reinforcement this month in my eyes, but I think summer will be the main hive of activity - and in many ways that makes sense.

Anyhow, we are now in a better position as a football club than we have been in a long while - the only thing lacking is quality on the pitch.  Perhaps this your sole concern and we should spend our way into oblivion purely to maintain a certain level on the pitch?  Fair enough if it is, too.  For me, I'm glad we've addressed a major fault in the ownership and running of the club and can see exactly how we're on a much better footing for going forwards.

Am I saying everyone of Lambert's signings have been brilliant?  No.  Am I saying our squad is the best squad in the league?  No.  Am I saying Lambert has worked absolute wonders at the club?  No.  What I am saying is that we are now heading in the right direction with an easily maintained squad that only needs quality players added to it.  Be this under Lerner, under a new owner, under Lambert or under a new manager, the club is setup in a sustainable manner which is hasn't been for years.

This isn't good news for you though homie?  Nevermind, keep moaning.

Edit:  I forgot to mention that, obviously, any signing for around £2m or less has a certain gamble factor surrounding them.  I can't believe that anyone would have thought that all "bargain" players we've signed were going to be awesome.

Someone who refers to posts as idiotic and then implies posters taking drugs is in anyone's book offensive.

You mention my fixation with Lambert's youth policy and state I am using that policy as a gun to his head. Wouldn't have put it as blunt as that but your understanding of my issues with him are nevertheless correct because it hasn't worked and was always doomed to failure.

Why? Well when you consider that no other team in the Premiership has chosen such an policy then that should have given our manager an insight to what lay ahead. Teams in the Premiership are usually built with a balance of youth and experience and Lambert went too far in one direction and not enough in the other. I see you've mentioned KEA and Vlaar as experienced players yet they hadn't played in the Premiership before so that point is pretty irrelevant. Now Lambert is targeting experienced players who have Premiership experience and that has not gone unnoticed, even by you.

So you think we are now in a better position that before Lambert came to the club. His current and past results have parity with the worst manager this club has seen. If you mean wages then yes the wage outlay has come down and we have replaced high wage earners with players on Championship wages. The problem with that though is if your average in signings points to unmitigated failure then as a consequence your team and policy will struggle and ultimately fail which we have now seen. It is no surprise to me that even while still on an apparent limited budget Lambert has now realised that we need to sign experienced players. Currently there has been no improvement at all in footballing terms from the Mcleish era and although we're placed eleventh, after our next set of fixtures we will probably be back in the relegation mire again so I don't think there has been that much improvement at all.

You have also picked up a bad habit and become yet another poster who can't define the difference between opinion and moaning. If you are all things positive about the Villa even when there is currently little to be positive about at the moment you are nevertheless deemed as putting forward an opinion. However if you challenge that opinion with another opinion substantiated with stats you are deemed as a moaner. Try realism and objectivity which seemingly you haven't grasped yet but keep trying.

So Freiburg representives rumored to be at BH.

Player in question is vladimir darida. Anyone know anything about him?

Only just joined in the Summer so I doubt it. He is an attacking midfielder and I think he is rated highly in Czech Republic so maybe some of our Czech posters could give more of an insight.

Could be a loan. He doesn't seem to be getting games at the moment. 

Unfortunately that rumour seems to have come from @AVFCTransTweet.

Morley_Crosses_To_Withe posted about it 4 hours ago in this thread, AVFCTRANSFERSHITETALK posted about it 1 hour ago so could be something in it as he obviously just read Morleys post and put some crap up on twitter trying to look itk

Yup!

Why would SC Frieberg have staff at VP unless it WAS transfer related!? I'm not saying they were there or not (I don't know). If they were there, and that twitter user knows for certain that they were, then surely it was transfer related and he'd know this! Unless he's made that bit up (more likely).

Â