Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

No and and no-one would expect Middlesborough to pay his full wages and we also don't know what deal is in place for Ireland either but our wages outlay must be considerably less taking into consideration loan fees, players who have already left and players out of contract at the end of the season.

It isn't rocket science or below any poster to admit that. 

Considerably less than when exactly? What are you comparing it to?

To our wage bill before Lambert arrived.

To our wage bill before Lambert arrived.

Well then yes it obviously is lower but as has already been said there are still some big earners that aren't doing anything left. I think that's always been the main problem really - players on high wages who don't deserve them.

Edited by Mantis

Yep that we agree on and although you don't agree that the foundations are in place for more investment yet, i am hoping that there has been enough reduction in wages to at least allow Lambert more leeway in the January window. Although if my suspicions are correct then i don't think that will happen until there is a new owner in place.  

After success of Newcastle's french players maybe look at Ligue 1 for players!

Vincent Aboubakar a 21 year old Cameroon striker is a good prospect, 8 goals in 7 games and 3rd top scorer behind ibrahimovic, Falcao and Cavani.

A fair few others are doing well in that league, maybe should look towards that league more?

After success of Newcastle's french players maybe look at Ligue 1 for players!

Vincent Aboubakar a 21 year old Cameroon striker is a good prospect, 8 goals in 7 games and 3rd top scorer behind ibrahimovic, Falcao and Cavani.

A fair few others are doing well in that league, maybe should look towards that league more?

I don't think  where to look is the problem - its how much we are prepared to pay. Lambert was apparently keen on sissoko - but his wages were beyond the enforced limits - so we got Sylla

• Like 1

I've not really been paying much attention to football recently. Are there any strong links or believable ITK's so far? What's happening?

The Jurgen Locadia link is probably the most likely I have seen, he's been scouted by our scouting team and also by Lambert personally (striker from PSV, the next Patrick Kluivert).

The Ivelin Popov link won't go away either, reckon something may come from that.

Edited by samjp26

More strikers? We could do with a playmaker.

we have to think long term though, if he might turn out anything like kluivert quality and we can get him now and cheap enough then we're on to another winner benteke style.

I don't think there are many positions we couldn't improve on/give competition/add depth right through the squad so any new faces are welcome for me wherever they play.

Be interesting to see if anyone comes in for Benteke given his current form.  If he moves on we'll need to replace him and get that playmaker in as well.

if Benteke doesn't pull his finger out and put a run of form together he loses his place in the starting XI to Lukaku for the world cup, if he doesn't play well in the world cup then he needs to reassess just how shit hot he thinks he is and may well stay with us for another year or so. 

If Benteke puts a good run of form together and plays well at the world cup, then he'll go for silly money. Really silly money, enough for Lambert to buy hal a dozen players for what Benteke originally cost us.

Priority has to be that attacking playmaker to break down teams looking to defend deep. Our form away from home and against teams trying to be more positive is good. But 0-0 draws against Sunderland, Hull and West Ham shows just how much we struggle when teams are happy to sit, take the point and try catch us on the break. 

I think we'll only make one addition in January. I really hope that's what we address.

Maybe a defender on loan to cover Okore, too.

Oh and btw the Defoe speculation has started as it does annually/biannually.

Aston Villa Look To Hijack Spurs Star Jermain Defoe

by Steven Green

December 3rd, 2013

Comments

Jermain-Defoe.png

Villans hope to prevent England man heading stateside.

Aston Villa are hoping to prevent Tottenham Hotspur striker Jermain Defoe from heading to MLS side Toronto FC by making a bid of their own in the January transfer window, according to reports in Sports Direct News.

Read More Aston Villa Transfer News And More Tottenham Hotspur Transfer News

The out of favour striker has been widely tipped to make an exit from the north London outfit in the near future after falling behind record signing Roberto Soldado in the pecking order, with reports already hinting that a deal has already been put in place with the Canadian side to take him there in the new year.

However, it is believed that both Aston Villa and Defoe’s former club West Ham want to stop him from heading out Stateside and keep him in the Premier League.

Villa are believed to be interested in bringing the 31-year-old on board as manager Paul Lambert is looking to avoid another relegation battle this term and sees the England international as the ideal man to relieve some of the goalscoring burden from the shoulders of main man Christian Benteke.

Whilst the money on offer in Toronto may be tempting, a switch to Villa Park would give Defoe the best possible chance at forcing his way into Roy Hodgson’s squad for the World Cup next summer.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Â