Biggest underachieving club?

Avfc96

think I did the research (google maps) in to it a few years back cos a Newcastle fan was pissing me off, after sunderland the next closest to them is a Manchester club 2hrs 30mins away

just looking at it quickly now 14 premier league clubs are with 2hrs 30mins of us (only Sunderland, Newcastle, Norwich, Hull, Southampton are further)

the region leaks fans like a sieve

that's one of the many reasons I that this argument about numbers at home games as judging the size of a club, I think Newcastle fans would quite honestly claim to be in the top 5 clubs in england

The 2 Bristol clubs. One of the biggest cities in England and they've never even been in the top flight. That's a remarkable 'achievement' over 130 & 119 years (Rovers & City respectively).

Not true. Bristol City were in the First Division from 1976 to 1980. I remember seeing us play them and being slightly disappointed we only won 3-1 after beating Arsenal 5-1 three days earlier.

Those were the days...

• Like 3

Leeds United for me.

Massive fanbase, bigger than Newcastle I'd say. Great history and yet not only are they not competing to win trophies nowadays, they have not even been in the top flight for 10 years.

Definitely, Leeds is the fourth biggest city, they should be much better off in footballing terms than they are

Berlin must be the biggest underachieving city.  As capital of a very successful footballing nation like Germany, none of it's teams have ever had a sniff.

Well, Berlin has only been part of Germany for about 20 years*, so give them time...

*: at least in the Bundesliga era

Edited by leviramsey

Bristol City.  It is the 6th biggest city in England, and both the football teams have a combined total of 4 years in the top flight. Edit sorry I think City had a few seasons in the top flight in the early 1900s but only 4 since.  If Landsown ever sorts that club out with a new ground and they got into the prem, they would be getting 25,000 easily. The potential catchment area is most of the the entire south west of England.  But they are in league one and Rovers are in league two. Useless. It just doesnt seem a real sporty city, it is just too laid back! The rugby team is crap as well and Gloucestershire CC have not been competitive for years. So I would go for Bristol.

Edited by The Fun Factory

But Berlin wasn't technically part of Germany (much less its capital) from the end of the war until the early 1990s ;)

And I think it is safe to say the people of Berlin had more important things to worry about between 1945 and 1990.  I'd imagine it was a major problem attracting players to the city too. 

You'll have to define 'recent times' for me.  And I think it's unfair to cite Leeds.  Under-achieving, to me, implies that there have been no speed bumps along the way and during the course of being run as a normal club someone has achieved sod all.  Leeds were in the semi-final of the Champions League and Ridsdale's catastrophic running of the club means they're only now beginning to recover.  It was precisely because they were achieving that their fall from grace was so epic.

Shamrock Rovers.

meh Bohs are the bigger mess

Leeds United for me.

Massive fanbase, bigger than Newcastle I'd say. Great history and yet not only are they not competing to win trophies nowadays, they have not even been in the top flight for 10 years.

Wouldn't say Leeds have a massive fanbase, definitely not bigger than Newcastle's. They only have a 36,000 seater stadium and only get an average attendance of 22,000, whereas Newcastle got 43,000 in their season in the championship. Having said that, I agree that they are massively underachieving and even though for the majority of my lifetime (maybe not quite), they've been outside the Premier League, I'd still consider them a Premier League team.

Us, without a shadow of a doubt. We're not only the biggest club in the West Midlands, we're the biggest club in the entire area between London and Manchester. We have one of the biggest and best grounds in the country, the best training facilities, an excellent academy set up, and have spent the (joint) longest amount of time in the top flight out of all the clubs in England.

And yet, in the last one hundred years, we have won the league once and the FA cup twice. Yes, Rotterdam was a huge achievement. Yes, it's nice to have won the league cup a few times. But as far as domestic competition goes, in the last century we have underachieved dismally.

Teams with more league championships in the same time period:

Manchester United - 18

Liverpool - 17

Arsenal - 13

Everton - 8

Chelsea - 4

Leeds United - 3

Wolverhampton Wanderers - 3

Manchester City - 3

Huddersfield Town - 3

Tottenham Hotspur - 2

Derby County - 2