Randy's 12 Month No Show ?

smetrov

Can the OP acknowledge his post is flawed. Lerner was at Norwich the other week !!

If thats true - as I said at the outset - I am happy to hold my hand up and say I was wrong. - He may have been @ 1 game in the last 12 months.

Think it's more than that in all fairness but certainly no more than 5 games . Not an issue for me so long as he gives lambert whatever he needs for the job in hand.

Im not saying youre incorrect - but I would be surprised if it is 5 games. I think that is the best estimate and people give him the benefit of the doubt up to 5 games.

I am a supporter of Lerner on the basis that there are worse owners out there, but it is a misjudgement to not be at the ground for some matches at least.

If he can turn up at the training ground, he can certainly turn up for the match.

It looks bad, and if the team begin to do well, perhaps even reaching semis or finals of cups, and he then turns up, it wil look even worse.

I assume he still has his own jet, it cannot be that big a problem to turn up occasionally.

Hate that agrument of there being worse owners out there!! It's a bit like you saying you have clamydia which isn't as bad as gonnehrea?? I don't want either!!! The other agrument out there would be that for every bad owner there is a good owner, unfortunately IMO Lerner is not either.

He is Mr Mediocre!

Of course you do not want either disease, but you must have an owner.

And it would be preferable to have the lesser disease if you have to have one.

The man isnt interested any more and its only a matter of time before he puts us up for sale IMHO.

He may make a special guest appearance at the Man Utd home game so he can grease the palms of his hero Slur Alex.

Someone should do a cardboard cut-out and bring it with them as a bit of a joke.

to be fair things have gone very stale, the whole place is on a downer again, we aint going anywhere and we wont be going anywhere until someone buys lerner out and spends really big, its horrible to see but lerner is quite happy with us strolling around mid table, he tried a few years back but failed to make us a success, we are without doubt one of the most boring clubs in the league to follow, but we have huge potential and hopefully one day we get to where we all want to be

Look at it objectively, Lerner came in and gave it a real go for 4 years. We nearly did it. Having spent what £250m funding the dream coupled with the credit crunch and a divorce, I don't think Lerner can finance it now & his family have probably told him not to spunk anymore on us just keep the clubs PL status at a sustainable cost. I'd say the club is already on the market and it's simply a case of waiting for someone willing to pay the asking price. Scary really.

why should he be interested? the prem and European football has changed since he bought us, and not for the better, its completely broken and pretty pointless at the moment

lerner did it one way and it didn't work, did it another way and it was horrendous, now trying to do it lamberts way and its slow and arduous but at least its the way most will agree its the right way to do it, we just suffer from inconsistency

problem will still be players will quite happily shit on us to go sit on a CL bench, but the likes of Southampton, who look like they are doing the same as we did (but I don't remember us being anywhere near as obnoxious about it) will soon find out the same thing we did, their best players will leave, if randy spends another £200m on quality players and we shoot up the table, they will leave...

to be fair things have gone very stale, the whole place is on a downer again, we aint going anywhere and we wont be going anywhere until someone buys lerner out and spends really big, its horrible to see but lerner is quite happy with us strolling around mid table, he tried a few years back but failed to make us a success, we are without doubt one of the most boring clubs in the league to follow, but we have huge potential and hopefully one day we get to where we all want to be

Our downer was 10-13, 3 years when we were very close to being relegated on more than one occasion, some terrible players signed on terrible contracts and two poor managerial appointments (Houllier was the right thought process but the wrong bloke to execute the new continental approach).

Things are picking up slowly even if we are generally uninspiring to watch at Villa Park. 

I reckon we'll finish 9th or 10th this season which will indicate slow progess. I wouldn't call it a great achievement though as WBA finished 9th last season and they were garbage from January onwards.

And then we'd see what sort of investment is needed/required to try to push us back to competiting with the top 6 again.

That's even if Lerner is still around but I think he will be. Thought he might have sold up at some stage in the last 18 months but it isn't easy to sell a premier league club.

Someone should do a cardboard cut-out and bring it with them as a bit of a joke.

Ha ha, great idea. Row upon row of cardboard cutouts of RL in the Holte End at the next home match.

If only that could happen... :)

Edited by briny_ear

Well yes Lerner has wasted millions on Villa by letting O'Neill buy shit, but that doesnt make him a great owner. It was his responsibility to create a structure at the  club with a world class scouting and recruitment system, and not letting a shouty northern irishman spend all of his dads money. I dont think Levy has given spurs lots of his own personal money, but he has been successful because he is a good businessman, and not a nice but bored philanthropist.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Well yes Lerner has wasted millions on Villa by letting O'Neill buy shit, but that doesnt make him a great owner. It was his responsibility to create a structure at the  club with a world class scouting and recruitment system, and not letting a shouty northern irishman spend all of his dads money. I dont think Levy has given spurs lots of his own personal money, but he has been successful because he is a good businessman, and not a nice but bored philanthropist.

Don't disagree with your central point about Lerner's failure to deliver what a well-run club needs from an owner but there is a lot of detail in that post that is arguable. In particular, Levy's regime at Spurs has looked chaotic at times (thinking of the debacle around Jol's short spell as coach and the time when they sold off Jermain Defoe then bought him back the next season for double the fee). Also some of their investment is questionable - not sure Lamele has lived up to his £25m tag yet. I'm not convinced we should hold him up as the model to follow.

Â