Randy's 12 Month No Show ?

smetrov

You knew our club was at it's lowest ebb (in the Premier League era anyway) when there were fans last season saying they will back Lambert even if he takes us down. The fact that scraping into the top half is now our absolute maximum expectation now sums it up.

Edited by Isa

Yes no doubt that is very true. Do the club not owe him 130 million in loans of which he has waived 100 million in interest.

I'm not sure where you are getting these figures from but if he has waived 100 million in interest on 130 mill in loans then f*ck me that was wonga levels of interest rates.

I really don't get this crap about him waiving interest on money he has invested into the club anyway. At the end of the day the club is his. I don't think for a second he should be charging any interest.

He underpaid for the club and despite the incompetent and reckless way he has run it I am certain that when he does eventually sell up he will recoup what he paid and what he has invested and won't have lost a dollar. In fact if he can keep us in the top flight he may still make a few quid.

The sad thing is though that despite the early promises he will leave the club in no better shape than he found it and in fact having overseen our worst run of sustained poor league form in almost 30 years. He should be hanging his head in shame.

Its on wikepedia

"He invested about £20m into the club on March 2013 and waived off the £100m interest owed to him by Aston Villa due to the fact Villa were struggling financially".

I am in my 26th season on the spin as a season ticket holder. I went to Villa Park yesterday not expecting to beat Everton. Now I have been to Villa Park many times not expecting to beat the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool but this was Everton. A club very similar in size to ourselves and one that will most likely finish somewhere between 9th and 7th this season.

Lerners ownership has sucked all the hopes and expectations I had for this great club out of me. I know it has happened to a lot of other supporters as well. It used to be that top 6 should be the minimum of our ambitions for this great club. Now for some it is staying up and for many being lower to mid table fodder.

I don't think I am asking for much just in thinking that the least of our ambitions should be to compete to finish 6th/7th. Under Lerner though I have zero confidence that it will happen.

The real shame in it all is that he now has a manger capable of achieving relative success so long as he gets some decent backing in fees and wages. I wouldn't bet on him being around for the long term though as there will come a point when Lambert will realize the owner cannot match his own ambitions and expectations. Either that or he will be made a scapegoat for the owners failings.

Well written and heartfelt, but I am not sure our expectations should be 6-7th?  Perhaps were are all to blame as reallyas  our crowds do not justfiy the claims that we should be a top 6 side. In a couple of years time West Ham will probably be pulling in more people. Sunderland year in, year out get more than us but I doubt they expect a top 8 spot, they are probably happy just to stay up. We are run as a mid table premiership club and unless Lambert over achieves that is where we will finish for at least the next 2 to 3 seasons. Not a great thought on a sunday night but there you go.

In the premier league era (I know I know but don't be too hard on me as I can't stand those phrases either) our average position is probably 6th or 7th. Certainly in the 90s our final position pissed all over Everton and Spurs but in the last 5 or 6 years that has taken a hit and it will be a while before we finish before either I'm afraid.

Probably the best example of a similar club to ourselves is Newcastle. They were regular top 6 finishers in the 90s, dipped for a few years, came back strongly for a few years under Sir Bobby Robson when they spend a huge amount and played a year in the champions league and have declined ever since through some poor managerial appointments apart from that freak year in 11/12 when they finished 5th.

At the moment relative success for us is finishing in the top 10 as we haven't finished there since 10/11 and even that season it didn't feel right given all the chaos and the fact we were fighting relegation for 75% of the year.

Long term we can't be happy just not being in a relegation battle and scraping into the top 10, there has to be an attempt to do better and at least challenge the top 6 as Everton continually do despite not spending fortunes and losing their best players or Southampton could do for a while this season despite being in league one three seasons ago.

It can be done but I don't think we'll see it under Randy Lerner's watch.

I am in my 26th season on the spin as a season ticket holder. I went to Villa Park yesterday not expecting to beat Everton. Now I have been to Villa Park many times not expecting to beat the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool but this was Everton. A club very similar in size to ourselves and one that will most likely finish somewhere between 9th and 7th this season.

Lerners ownership has sucked all the hopes and expectations I had for this great club out of me. I know it has happened to a lot of other supporters as well. It used to be that top 6 should be the minimum of our ambitions for this great club. Now for some it is staying up and for many being lower to mid table fodder.

I don't think I am asking for much just in thinking that the least of our ambitions should be to compete to finish 6th/7th. Under Lerner though I have zero confidence that it will happen.

The real shame in it all is that he now has a manger capable of achieving relative success so long as he gets some decent backing in fees and wages. I wouldn't bet on him being around for the long term though as there will come a point when Lambert will realize the owner cannot match his own ambitions and expectations. Either that or he will be made a scapegoat for the owners failings.

Well written and heartfelt, but I am not sure our expectations should be 6-7th?  Perhaps were are all to blame as reallyas  our crowds do not justfiy the claims that we should be a top 6 side. In a couple of years time West Ham will probably be pulling in more people. Sunderland year in, year out get more than us but I doubt they expect a top 8 spot, they are probably happy just to stay up. We are run as a mid table premiership club and unless Lambert over achieves that is where we will finish for at least the next 2 to 3 seasons. Not a great thought on a sunday night but there you go.

Jesus wept what kind of club do you think Villa are, a Fulham or a Wigan? Of course we should be aiming for the top 6! We've spent over 100 seasons in the top flight, we're not some kind of 'Johnny come latelys' who are just happy to be here mixing with the big boys. Have a bit of pride in the club. Surely Lerner hasn't sucked every last bit of ambition out of you?

Before Lerner took over the club I'm sure only 5 teams had gained more premiership points.

What is it about Lerner that makes people want to lower their expectations of this club?

Spot on. Has Lerner been putting something in the pies or something? We used to have a proactive fan base at Villa. What's happened to them??

Well written and heartfelt, but I am not sure our expectations should be 6-7th? Perhaps were are all to blame as reallyas our crowds do not justfiy the claims that we should be a top 6 side. In a couple of years time West Ham will probably be pulling in more people. Sunderland year in, year out get more than us but I doubt they expect a top 8 spot, they are probably happy just to stay up. We are run as a mid table premiership club and unless Lambert over achieves that is where we will finish for at least the next 2 to 3 seasons. Not a great thought on a sunday night but there you go.
Jesus wept what kind of club do you think Villa are, a Fulham or a Wigan? Of course we should be aiming for the top 6! We've spent over 100 seasons in the top flight, we're not some kind of 'Johnny come latelys' who are just happy to be here mixing with the big boys. Have a bit of pride in the club. Surely Lerner hasn't sucked every last bit of ambition out of you?

Funny, I got slaughtered for suggesting we are the new Wigan, I didn't mean in size, just the ambition and the way the club is run by the owner.

Before Lerner took over the club I'm sure only 5 teams had gained more premiership points.

What is it about Lerner that makes people want to lower their expectations of this club?

Spot on. Has Lerner been putting something in the pies or something? We used to have a proactive fan base at Villa. What's happened to them??
Hiring McLeish is looking more and more a masterstroke every day. There has been no expectation or self-respect at this club since... Edited by Isa

4th season of possible relegation worries and some people are happy just to sit and accept it, well **** me looks like some have lost the passion for this once great and feared establishment. Personally I can't sit by and accept this, I pay £400+ for a ST, when it should be £300 due to some fuckery sitting plan in K1 Upper Holte Wings. Either sell the club or invest, its as simple as that.

Yes but its all very easy to state these facts but do any of you have a solution? Where's the wealthy buyer? I don't think we will be in a relegation battle this season either.

Another stupid argument.

Did you ask everyone who held a £ sign to Doug if they had a list of potential buyers for the club.

Yes but its all very easy to state these facts but do any of you have a solution? Where's the wealthy buyer? I don't think we will be in a relegation battle this season either.

Another stupid argument.

Did you ask everyone who held a £ sign to Doug if they had a list of potential buyers for the club.

No but he's not psychic either. 

Yes but its all very easy to state these facts but do any of you have a solution? Where's the wealthy buyer?  I don't think we will be in a relegation battle this season either.

Does he have to be wealthy ?  - Randy is very rich guy - but not much of that has come Aston Villa's way since MON left - So we have a billionaire owner in name alone. Ive said before a good owner either brings money or expertise. At present Randy brings neither. Surley we shouldn't be struggling at the bottom of the prem on home crowds of 37,000 ?. As well as Randy's lack of cash - the fact that he is no longer interested is equally damaging.

Yes but its all very easy to state these facts but do any of you have a solution? Where's the wealthy buyer?  I don't think we will be in a relegation battle this season either.

Does he have to be wealthy ?  - Randy is very rich guy - but not much of that has come Aston Villa's way since MON left - So we have a billionaire owner in name alone. Ive said before a good owner either brings money or expertise. At present Randy brings neither. Surley we shouldn't be struggling at the bottom of the prem on home crowds of 37,000 ?. As well as Randy's lack of cash - the fact that he is no longer interested is equally damaging.

Very true and i agree its a worry that he has lost interest. I don't think we can blame all our woes on him though. 

Does he have to be wealthy ? - Randy is very rich guy - but not much of that has come Aston Villa's way since MON left - So we have a billionaire owner in name alone. Ive said before a good owner either brings money or expertise. At present Randy brings neither. Surley we shouldn't be struggling at the bottom of the prem on home crowds of 37,000 ?. As well as Randy's lack of cash - the fact that he is no longer interested is equally damaging.

Very true and i agree its a worry that he has lost interest. I don't think we can blame all our woes on him though.

We can't blame our woes on the man who hires managers and controls the money?

It's either blame him or blame the managers.

Â