Getting older

villaguy

18 hours ago, sidcow said:

I used to live right next to the park.

We'd get home from School, eat tea then be out in the park playing till it was dark.  Jumpers for goalposts etc.

We did have to spend a lot of time dodging paedophiles and getting beat up by rough kids for the estate but it was character building as hell.

One thing I've notice growing up in the city is I can spot a wrong un at 100 paces.  More than once I've prompted my "grew up in the country" wife to cross the road when I've spotted something and she's said she had absolutely no idea.  City kids need eyes in the back of their head.  I scan the street like a SAMPSON radar.

Aside from street football, bike races, and pretty much every other street game you could imagine, we used to climb up the frame of the railway footbridge in our street and then jump off onto MOVING COAL TRAINS, landing in the coal.
Looking back on it, I'm amazed we all got through it injury/death free. The train operators didn't report us and nobody's parents put an end to it - different times.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

44 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

Aside from street football, bike races, and pretty much every other street game you could imagine, we used to climb up the frame of the railway footbridge in our street and then jump off onto MOVING COAL TRAINS, landing in the coal.
Looking back on it, I'm amazed we all got through it injury/death free. The train operators didn't report us and nobody's parents put an end to it - different times.

Yup

Playing in an abandoned colliery, including walking down into the mine itself (way before urban exploration was a thing)

running along raised sewage pipes, where there were ladders up to the inspection chambers which made it all the easier but we were still running along cast iron pipes 30-40ft up in the air

playing on the railway or even just alongside it was pretty much an every day occurrence

Nobody gave a shit about any of it

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

The train from Barry Island to Barry was 5p.

But with the old slam doors and a grass verge, you could ride 90% of the way and then jump out as the train was slowing around the bend just before the station.

That gave you 5p for a bag of crisps in school.

Crisps every day, thank you.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The train from Barry Island to Barry was 5p.

But with the old slam doors and a grass verge, you could ride 90% of the way and then jump out as the train was slowing around the bend just before the station.

That gave you 5p for a bag of crisps in school.

Crisps every day, thank you.

Ah yes, reminds me of playing in the steam train graveyard in Barry which was much more fun than going to the fair and cost nowt

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

Ah yes, reminds me of playing in the steam train graveyard in Barry which was much more fun than going to the fair and cost nowt

Yep.

Scooping out all the white stuff from the boilers by hand in the wet weather, so when it dried out we’d formed it into bike ramps. Turned out years later it was asbestos lagging, and now none of the Island kids can be cremated because it would take too long.

42 minutes ago, withes_shin said:

Don't see kids with catapults and pea shooters any more.

We used to make our own pea shooters. There was this huge weed that grew in abundance by the railway lines, it had completely hollow stems, so you just broke the stem and used the strongest section. The key was picking one with the correct circumference.

It was probably poisonous :D 

51 minutes ago, withes_shin said:

Saw an autistic kid on the news last night with a catapult. Firing it at a target that was about 2mm below the fence to next doors garden. 

Seemed like a really bloody stupid idea. 

• Like 1

Spud guns. You'll have someone's eye out with that.  Like literally with a good enough shot 😂

Edited by sidcow

I remember the paper guillotines at work being replaced from the lever arm type that could easily remove and stray finger with the safety version with the enclosed sliding blade. 

55 minutes ago, withes_shin said:

My finest moment with a catapult was a bet with my mate that I couldn't hit the ample arse of one of the local teenage girls from what seemed like maximum catapult range. I did it, with a stone. She went crazy (as you can imagine) and we had to leg it, sharpish. 

Ahhh happy days. What happened to good old local paedophile? Everyone knew he was a wrong 'un and avoided him. "Stay away from Bob in the ground floor flat and never take your pants off for him, even if he offers you a bag of foam discs and flumps" - cheers Mom!

You don't get them anymore, they're far more cunning. 

Edited by Xela

Getting to that age in life where people I know who are a similar age to me have started to pass away. Today we're raising a roast to a mate who passed away recently - only 48.  God bless you mate 🍺

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, sidcow said:

Spud guns. You'll have someone's eye out with that.  Like literally with a good enough shot 😂

Waste of a good spud, that.

• Haha 1

We had that one neigbour who'd always burst the ball or refuse to give it back when we were younger, thus ensuring we always had somewhere to throw our empty chip bags and bottles when we got a bit older.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just picking up on something I just read in the deadpool thread and someone dying at 73 and being described as only 73. I see this a lot that people in their 70's being described in terms such as no age or even young. 

I can't see someone in their 60's as young or no age never mind their 70's. I'm 50 so no spring chicken and whilst I don't consider myself old I certainly couldn't see myself, or definitely not describe myself, as young. Life expectancy for males in the UK is I think 78 and dropping so you get into mid 70s and you've had a half decent knock I'd say. 

I'm probably influenced by having lost my dad when he was 60, my mother in law when she was 55 and numerous aunts/uncles on both mine and my wife's side in their 60's. The only nan and granddad I was close to were 69 and 73 and back when they passed away in the 1980s/early 90s that was considered a good innings. My mom is 80 this year and I'd say that is a really good age to get to. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 29/02/2024 at 14:21, sidcow said:

Saw an autistic kid on the news last night with a catapult. Firing it at a target that was about 2mm below the fence to next doors garden. 

Seemed like a really bloody stupid idea. 

I'd ban them, there is a huge amount of idiots with them (according to an article I read yesterday) who are killing wild birds and animals. **** psychos.

6 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I'd ban them, there is a huge amount of idiots with them (according to an article I read yesterday) who are killing wild birds and animals. **** psychos.

You'd You'd ban autistic kids? Harsh 😁

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You'd You'd ban autistic kids? Harsh 😁

Ahhhh, **** 'em ;)

Â