Getting older

villaguy

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

Have you thought of maybe a change of career to something you might enjoy more? I think I'm right you're a single guy with no kids so I assume you've built up a decent enough pension pot already. 

Maybe something that keeps the money flowing but less stress and pressure. 

A guy I used to work with spent a few years working at Notcutts before retirement just putting the plants out on display for sale etc. 

Its something I'll consider in a few years, for sure. I'm kind of tied into my current job for another couple of years as I have a substantial amount of shares to be vested to me then. That'll boost the coffers a fair amount! 

My pension pot is decent for my age, but the problem (first world for sure) is that I won't be able to access it until i'm 57. 

Plan at the moment is to work full time to perhaps 50, then scale down my hours and responsibility. Its been about 15 years since i've been able to 'switch off' from work at the end of the day. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Its something I'll consider in a few years, for sure. I'm kind of tied into my current job for another couple of years as I have a substantial amount of shares to be vested to me then. That'll boost the coffers a fair amount! 

My pension pot is decent for my age, but the problem (first world for sure) is that I won't be able to access it until i'm 57. 

Plan at the moment is to work full time to perhaps 50, then scale down my hours and responsibility. Its been about 15 years since i've been able to 'switch off' from work at the end of the day. 

Not looking to catch you out. 

Let's say you meet a potential Mrs Alex and she wants to buy a house together. You are smitten so you quickly agree, would that impact you scaling back?

7 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Not looking to catch you out. 

Let's say you meet a potential Mrs Alex and she wants to buy a house together. You are smitten so you quickly agree, would that impact you scaling back?

Possibly. All my projections are based on my current scenario. Things can change, for sure. 

However, I would only get serious and buy a house with someone who was financially mature themselves. I know that doesn't sound romantic, but i'm not being someone's financial saviour. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

Possibly. All my projections are based on my current scenario. Things can change, for sure. 

However, I would only get serious and buy a house with someone who was financially mature themselves. I know that doesn't sound romantic, but i'm not being someone's financial saviour. 

God gave men a penis and a brain, but only enough blood to use one at a time 😉 

You wouldn’t be the last to risk it all for the 🐈 

Gosh i opened this thread for some possible feel good and read the first page and didn’t feel like I belong here lol.

FWIW, I feel lucky that each year brings something new. I have been a dad for 2 years and that in itself has been challenging, rewarding and different. Sure I’m jealous of my child free friends every now and then but ultimately I’m lucky and hopefully have years of the joy of raising a family in front of me and whatever that will bring. Life remains a mystery and with any luck I will have children who will still want to hang out as I become old.

I’ve done some new things recently, been hitting the gym and getting fit again, scaled back my work and feel mentally good  

I don’t really see any years as a peak and I don’t fear getting older. Each year brings new experiences and challenges, some amazing and rewarding some not so much.

That being said, one real constant in my life is Villa being semi-shit and waffling a bunch of nonsense with you ****. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I decided to alter my diet about 6 weeks ago. Eat plenty of fruit and veg everyday now. Now eat brown bread , eating dark chocolate but can only stomach 70% max cocoa . Just eating healthier not that I was terrible anyway but I felt I wanted to up the ante a bit. Also not had a drink for nearly 6 weeks which has been an on going battle for years on and off. Go the gym , plenty of walking etc . I want to live as long as possible healthy or healthy ish .

I find dark chocolate too bitter on its own, but is very good with fresh orange juice.

I've read about your battles for while, and it's good to read about the progress you are making.

• Like 1

i'm 44 and can remember my 30th like it was only a couple of years back, not 14! If i go 14 years into the future, I'll be hopefully retired! Mad when I think about it like that. 

• Like 1

Â