Getting older

villaguy

6 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

I sent off for my passport renewal last week. My god I looked old! I see myself in the mirror most days but age has defintely caught up with me in that photo.

My first passport at 18 was quite well used... the second one at 28 was full of stamps... the third at 38, pretty empty. Shows how life changed. 

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

A young fella, somewhere in his twenties, works on the till at the supermarket I use and he’s always saying “Alright mate” in a jovial, slightly Jack the lad manner that feels like he’s addressing me as a contemporary of his.

It doesn’t feel like he’d say “Alright mate” if he was putting through the weekly shopping of Peter Sallis, for instance.

So this is my new rule of thumb in determining how I’m viewed in terms of age. Until he or his equivalent starts calling me “Sir” or something, or not at all. Speaks to me in a less relaxed manner.

At which point I will find a new rule of thumb.

As a more mature gentleman now, I feel as though I can now refer to blokes who work behind a bar as 'chief'. 

"Alright chief, pint of Bathams please and chuck us over a packet of pork scratchings as well, cheers"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Xela said:

As a more mature gentleman now, I feel as though I can now refer to blokes who work behind a bar as 'chief'. 

"Alright chief, pint of Bathams please and chuck us over a packet of pork scratchings as well, cheers"

Just so you are aware, it's never OK to refer to someone as 'chief' unless you are a Native American. 

• Haha 1

I know I am getting older because......

I have a biscuit tin full of screws, nails and bolts that come in useful once every 5 years. But I keep them anyway.

My tool cupboard has tools I haven't used for a decade and/or I have no idea what they are for. 

I have 50 of those little hexagonal tools you get with build-your-own furniture. 

I have an amazing collection of alcoholic drinks. 95% are unwanted gifts.  

I can walk round any antique shop and find something I threw away. 

I know the phone number 01 811 8055. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I know the phone number 01 811 8055. 

Only yesterday I was thinking about this number trying to think if it would be 0208 or 0207 and if it still existed. 

58 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I know the phone number 01 811 8055

That Big Trak on the shelf behind him tortured me as a kid. I knew my parents would never be able to afford one but often wondered if I could offer my sister’s roller skates for it. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, choffer said:

That Big Trak on the shelf behind him tortured me as a kid. I knew my parents would never be able to afford one but often wondered if I could offer my sister’s roller skates for it. 

I have no idea what you are talking about, but I suspect it means that - from my point of view - you are... young. :)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I have no idea what you are talking about, but I suspect it means that - from my point of view - you are... young. :)

The original ludicrously expensive toy that would have been the biggest let down if you were lucky enough to get one. 

image.png.d3756772d74f10fa6ed07146a826ad3f.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, choffer said:

* Roller skates?....you were lucky, when I were a lad we used to dream of having roller skates......we had it tough in our day

* (Credits to Monty Python "the 4 yorkshiremen")

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

Just so you are aware, it's never OK to refer to someone as 'chief' unless you are a Native American. 

The man that founded the company I work for who died a few years ago was known by everyone as The Chief. It was his nickname on the radio when he started the company and it just stuck.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

The original ludicrously expensive toy that would have been the biggest let down if you were lucky enough to get one. 

image.png.d3756772d74f10fa6ed07146a826ad3f.png

Nonsense. I finally got my hands on one when they re-released it in 2010. Gave me 13 minutes of unbridled joy before going on top of a wardrobe* where it has remained.

*The codes I had to punch into it to get it up there were rather convoluted.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

Only yesterday I was thinking about this number trying to think if it would be 0208 or 0207 and if it still existed. 

On a similar note, BBC Television Centre, Wood Lane....

• Like 2

Swap Shop had a regular section where children could show of their collections. 

I was banned because of cofusion regarding my rubber collection. 

But I still remember one idiot child who collected bottles of air.  On the same show they had Concorde Captain who presented him with a bottle of air from 40,000 feet (or whatever height Concorde flew).  

The BBC gave airtime to a man giving a child an empty bottle to place with all of his other empty bottles.  

The idiot child was ecstatic. 

He also rejected my offer of a bottle of air from Tardis in return for his Astro Wars.   

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Added details
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

But I still remember one idiot child who collected bottles of air.  On the same show they had Concorde Captain who presented him with a bottle of air from 40,000 feet (or whatever height Concorde flew).  

Like he opened the window to get the air :crylaugh:

I vaguely remember than now too

16 hours ago, Xela said:

My first passport at 18 was quite well used... the second one at 28 was full of stamps... the third at 38, pretty empty. Shows how life changed. 

Yeah but you get stamps in the EU now so you can fill it up on short haul trips

#BrexitBenefits

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Yeah but you get stamps in the EU now so you can fill it up on short haul trips

#BrexitBenefits

They say that, but i’ve been into the EU several times since Brexit and have no stamps. 

Â