What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

Just put a deposit down on a Q4, too. I’m not massively into cars or bothered about brands, but wanted to go electric and get something with plenty of room for the kids.

It was either this or a Škoda Enyaq but there weren’t any of those locally in the spec we wanted to look at.

Dealer tried to sell me GardX exterior and interior treatments for £350. Has anyone ever had this? Is it worth it if so? I don’t usually fall for added extras but this did actually sound pretty good. Reviews online seemed mixed, though, so leaning towards it being bullshit.

• Like 1

I'd never, ever get paint protection from a dealer, it's an absolute rip off and they'll just slap it on as quickly as they can without doing proper prep or getting an even coat .

If you want the paint protection either take it to a detailer who will charge a similar amount but do a proper job, or buy very similar products for about 30 quid, take your time and do it yourself

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/03/2024 at 20:38, Sid4ever said:

One for @Xela, remember my friends dad from Hagley had the SD1 Vanden Plas

IMG_1212.jpeg

I had three SD1s, the V8 Vanden Plas was the best but ridiculously only had velour seats, not leather.

• Like 1

On 04/03/2024 at 13:27, Xela said:

I remember my Dad looking at these, but he just wasn't convinced they would be as reliable as the Granada and Senators he had. He was probably right! 

Beautiful looking car though. 3500 V8 in Vitesse spec please. 

The V8 I had never let me down in years of ownership and was **** rapid.

The body work, well the less said the better.

I also owned. P5B coupe v8 and a P6 2200 TC.

Wish I could have one now but no garage to keep one in.

• Like 1

On 09/03/2024 at 15:05, rjw63 said:

Wish I could have one now but no garage to keep one in.

Yeah, you definitely need a garage/barn for a 70s/80s motor. I keep looking at old cars, but again, no indoor storage. Maybe one day...

• Like 1

Saw a run of the mill little Mercedes on the motorway earlier, with the reg plate '5K'

That must be worth as much as the car! 

I wrote a while back about a neighbour of mine who were doing exceptionally well judging by their cars. I think it was brand new Range Rover Sport and Porsche Macane.

Not long after that the husband swapped the RR for a Ferrari.

I noticed earlier he seems to have a Lamborghini and she has a Porsche Cayenne, both with very expensive private plates.

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

I wrote a while back about a neighbour of mine who were doing exceptionally well judging by their cars. I think it was brand new Range Rover Sport and Porsche Macane.

Not long after that the husband swapped the RR for a Ferrari.

I noticed earlier he seems to have a Lamborghini and she has a Porsche Cayenne, both with very expensive private plates.

Even if i was doing really well, I'm not sure i'd want to display it as openly as that. 

• Like 1

Just now, Xela said:

Even if i was doing really well, I'm not sure i'd want to display it as openly as that. 

Yeah, their house is in a very visible spot so asking for scum passing through to have a go at stealing their cars.

• Like 1

On 09/03/2024 at 14:21, JB said:

Just put a deposit down on a Q4, too. I’m not massively into cars or bothered about brands, but wanted to go electric and get something with plenty of room for the kids.

It was either this or a Škoda Enyaq but there weren’t any of those locally in the spec we wanted to look at.

Dealer tried to sell me GardX exterior and interior treatments for £350. Has anyone ever had this? Is it worth it if so? I don’t usually fall for added extras but this did actually sound pretty good. Reviews online seemed mixed, though, so leaning towards it being bullshit.

Tried not to laugh when the place I brought my car from recently offered me GardX.  Its a 2017 car mate, so unless you're going to respray it first, What's the f'ing point 😂

Dacia launch their EV at the incredible price of £14,995

New-Dacia-Spring-lead-2.png?auto=format&

New-Dacia-Spring-grille.png?auto=format&

New-Dacia-Spring-interior-1.png?auto=for

New-Dacia-Spring-dashboard-1.png?auto=fo

Quite a narrow use case though with the standard car coming with equivalent of a 45bhp engine and 137 mile range but it’s an amazing price for what it is.

51 minutes ago, Genie said:

Dacia launch their EV at the incredible price of £14,995

New-Dacia-Spring-lead-2.png?auto=format&

New-Dacia-Spring-grille.png?auto=format&

New-Dacia-Spring-interior-1.png?auto=for

New-Dacia-Spring-dashboard-1.png?auto=fo

Quite a narrow use case though with the standard car coming with equivalent of a 45bhp engine and 137 mile range but it’s an amazing price for what it is.

It’s the car for the likes of my other half.

Needs a car for the across town work commute. Needs a car for the shopping trip to Cardiff. Longest trip taken is a 90 mile round trip to Swansea not using the motorway.

Current car is an Aygo X which looks roughly the same size.

I think there might actually be quite a big market for this.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s the car for the likes of my other half.

Needs a car for the across town work commute. Needs a car for the shopping trip to Cardiff. Longest trip taken is a 90 mile round trip to Swansea not using the motorway.

Current car is an Aygo X which looks roughly the same size.

I think there might actually be quite a big market for this.

Yep. A number of mentions on here about Dacia researching their market. 

And the best thing is you can perv at Imogen Bhogal. 

You've got to put this into perspective. This is an EV that is price competitive with ANY car you can buy. One of the very cheapest on the market.

This is very much the tipping point. 

All those people who do no more than tootle around town and maybe the occasional visit to a nearby town (which is a massive demographic) are going to love these. 

• Like 1

It's not why you buy one, and I can absolutely see it being a reasonable proposition for someone who just makes short local journeys, but I had to laugh at a 0-60 time of 19 seconds. I wouldn't be laughing if I were on a slip road though!

Edited by Davkaus

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

You've got to put this into perspective. This is an EV that is price competitive with ANY car you can buy. One of the very cheapest on the market.

This is very much the tipping point. 

It is still £15k for the cheapest model of a very basic vehicle. 

You could easily buy a used Aygo with a 1ltr engine for £7k which will burn next to no petrol (I just checked the combined consumption of 68.9mpg) and if you are green I guess the 2nd hand market is where you should be looking.

And there are no downsides if you have to pick up relatives from Luton airport or want to take the family for a weekend in Wales. 

I am really rooting for the electric vehicles, but to me, this is not a tipping point just yet.

But well done Dacia. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's not why you buy one, and I can absolutely see it being a reasonable proposition for someone who just makes short local journeys, but I had to laugh at a 0-60 time of 19 seconds. I wouldn't be laughing if I were on a slip road though!

I thought she said 14 seconds?  Which, whilst not quick, is significantly better than 19 seconds!

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It is still £15k for the cheapest model of a very basic vehicle. 

You could easily buy a used Aygo with a 1ltr engine for £7k which will burn next to no petrol (I just checked the combined consumption of 68.9mpg) and if you are green I guess the 2nd hand market is where you should be looking.

And there are no downsides if you have to pick up relatives from Luton airport or want to take the family for a weekend in Wales. 

I am really rooting for the electric vehicles, but to me, this is not a tipping point just yet.

But well done Dacia. 

Eh?  You are comparing the new price of an EV for the second hand price of an ICE vehicle?

It's the tipping point because it's where EV's become price competitive with ICE cars.  There are a number out in the next year like the VWID2 which are price competitive with a Polo that will enable you to pick up relatives from Luton or have a weekend in Wales.

Battery prices are plummeting all the time  it will soon be CHEAPER to make an EV than an ICE car.  In fact looking at this we're probably there already.

And next year or the year after you'll probably see a Dacia Spring refresh with a bigger battery to extend the range as competition bites.   

Edited by sidcow

18 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It might not be why you buy one (or me for that matter, I use motorways), but look around the roads, yes there are lots of boys driving BMW’s and their false eyebrowed love island girlfriends driving Audi’s all up to their eyeballs in credit. But there are other cars out there. Small stuff, tiny little Suzukis, Kias, and Hyundais.

The recently discontinued Aygo, ridiculously popular, and half a second slower to 60mph than one of those new Dacia. Those old folks and shoppers that are dawdling along in front of you in their Daewoo Matiz, that’s as much about car performance as them thinking about their cats. They wouldn’t be doing 70mph down a slip road if you gave them a McClaren. They’ll mostly be sticking to the A’s and B’s and calmly pulling out in front of lorries and not even realising.. 

I can genuinely see this would fit in our garage for charging, will fit 4 bags of shopping, will go to Swansea and back with no danger of needing a charge on the road so no range anxiety, and the budget of a second car. I can absolutely visualise a target market for this car and she’s currently sat upstairs and if I said would you like a grey metallic Audi, or nice yellow Dacia and some weekends away and a new sewing machine and a new set of drums and new double glazing, and a new sofa and money in the bank, I’m fairly confident I know what the answer would be. 

Or, yes, Dacia have got this horribly wrong and there is no market for a cheap, small, easy to park, local runaround, EV in a nice colour, with a boot just big enough for the weekly shop.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I thought she said 14 seconds?  Which, whilst not quick, is significantly better than 19 seconds!

That's for the next engine up with a 65bhp engine - to be fair, that's only an extra £350 quid, and anyone who'd consider spending 15 grand on one of these simply has to take that option really. The 65bhp is an affordable but boring car that'll absolutely do the job for people who see cars as a white good - perfect for short journeys but can do some longer ones in a pinch.

That base 45bhp model would be actively dangerous on a major A road or motorway though, and I think it's only even an option so they could grab the headline of "under 15 grand!" 

• Like 1

Â