What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

53 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

That's absolutely stonking value, is it a used one?

Nope. Straight out the box.

I was looking for cheap in-stock lease deals and was pretty close to going for a petrol T-Roc. Then this thing came up cheaper so I dived on it before they could change their minds 😂

55 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Who did you use? That's a hell of a lot less than Mrs Sidcow is paying for her A6 with Select Car Leasing. 

She's probably going to go EV next time, but that's another 2 years so I guess deals will have changed a lot by then. 

I used leasing.com for the comparison and the deal is with Xcite. Customer service has been phenomenal too.

I bought a 5 year old Mazda CX5 in 2020 and although that was an outright purchase it was costing me well over £300 a month.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

i think if you drive an EV you'll never go back to petrol 

I think this is true for the 99%, but there's just something about a naturally aspirated petrol engine and a manual gearbox

EVs are great for the commute, but they're just not as fun or engaging if cars and driving is something you do for fun - even if they're faster. My EV beats the shit out of my old MX5 off the line, could run absolute rings around the thing on a track, on top of that it's more practical, more comfortable, safer, quieter, has far more kit in it, but it's just nowhere near as fun.

I appreciate most people couldn't give a toss about that though

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

On 11/05/2024 at 22:20, NurembergVillan said:

I've only got that Lexus for 2 years but it comes with a 10 year warranty on the battery.

I genuinely can't believe what I'm paying for it. The lease is just over £300 a month including maintenance and the car has a list price of £68,000.

Driven it to Kidderminster and back today and it was an absolute joy. Incredible car. Not as much fun as the Puma ST next to it on the drive, but it's the driving equivalent of flying business class.

We stopped for a recharge on the way back, but we needed some dinner anyway so it was no hassle at all.

So sorry mate ;) 

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I think this is true for the 99%, but there's just something about a naturally aspirated petrol engine and a manual gearbox

EVs are great for the commute, but they're just not as fun or engaging if cars and driving is something you do for fun - even if they're faster. My EV beats the shit out of my old MX5 off the line, could run absolute rings around the thing on a track, on top of that it's more practical, more comfortable, safer, quieter, has far more kit in it, but it's just nowhere near as fun.

I appreciate most people couldn't give a toss about that though

Oh, I love my Kona electric. Every time I'm in it I just think, "why haven't cars always been like this."

But... there is a place for lightweight, fun, dynamic petrol sports cars imo. As you say, it's a different experience entirely.

We’ve ordered a Škoda Enyaq. Won’t arrive before sometime after summer, probably September. 

9 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Oh, I love my Kona electric. Every time I'm in it I just think, "why haven't cars always been like this."

But... there is a place for lightweight, fun, dynamic petrol sports cars imo. As you say, it's a different experience entirely.

I think track days in antiquated vintage combustion engine cars will be a big thing in the future. 

40 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think track days in antiquated vintage combustion engine cars will be a big thing in the future. 

Last one of those I did I kinda got involved in a “race” with another car on the  track , my instructor said it was fine , I wasn’t being a dick or anything , just taking the lines he advised and following his instructions as we reeled the other guy in …but at one of the bends the bloke in front made a bad manoeuvre and we nearly wiped each other out … when we got back to base the two instructors started having a tear up with each other , me and the other bloke just quietly slipped away  

happy days 

• Haha 1

@tonyh29 in an EV? Are we sure its not an imposter pretending to be Tone? Like what happened with @bickster's idol, Paul McCartney. 

Otherwise we'd best get him a lentil cardigan and some hemp sandals to go with his car. 

33 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

I drive an old 2011 Yaris.....one good thing about it is the reg plate starts with AV      .........

Much derided on here I know, but I've just bought a personalised number plate that I've waited practically 23 years for. I say personalised but it's completely Villa! I remember typing it in when the first 'new style' plates were released and it said it'd be available in May 2024... And it was.

AV74 EST (Aston Villa, Established 1874 for those that can't see it!)

Just need to wait another two years to have a car I can put it on!

On topic, I also have an electric car, a Kia EV6. Amazing cars, will stay on electric forever now. Wife has a electric corsa... Hates it!! But wants to stay electric, but something witha bit more quality!!

• Like 2

This BYD Seal I'm running is the best EV I have ever driven, kills the Mercedes I'm used to. Should do 324 mile on a charge, did 293 last charge. I'm a true petrol head but this has turned me. Although would still have my C63 V8 in the garage for weekends and noise 😋

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

This BYD Seal I'm running is the best EV I have ever driven, kills the Mercedes I'm used to. Should do 324 mile on a charge, did 293 last charge. I'm a true petrol head but this has turned me. Although would still have my C63 V8 in the garage for weekends and noise 😋

It's still early days as well. We're literally at the beginning of the EV development. 

They'll routinely be going further than combustion engines in a few years. 

Or they'll get cheaper and cheaper as the batteries will get smaller and smaller for that 300 miles range. 

Combustion engines have literally reached their peak, it's almost impossible to improve them now after 125 years of development. 

Never thought about leasing a car rather than using PCP etc. What are the advantages and disadvantages?

BTW my old 2011 Yaris reg plate beginning with AV..... is not a personalised one it's just that I am lucky to live near Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk and that's the prefix used😀.

.....and no that's not the reason why I moved over to this part of the country!!!

3 hours ago, Xela said:

@tonyh29 in an EV? Are we sure its not an imposter pretending to be Tone? Like what happened with @bickster's idol, Paul McCartney. 

Otherwise we'd best get him a lentil cardigan and some hemp sandals to go with his car. 

Purely for tax reasons and i’ve started a huge coal fire in my garden to offset the neutral footprint my car is making 

• Haha 2

On 15/05/2024 at 10:51, Davkaus said:

EVs are great for the commute, but they're just not as fun or engaging if cars and driving is something you do for fun - even if they're faster. 

Seems they're starting to get around that as well now. 

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

It's still early days as well. We're literally at the beginning of the EV development. 

They'll routinely be going further than combustion engines in a few years. 

Or they'll get cheaper and cheaper as the batteries will get smaller and smaller for that 300 miles range. 

Combustion engines have literally reached their peak, it's almost impossible to improve them now after 125 years of development. 

Many manufacturers had a Petrol engine that was near totally efficient before the EV generation. But the goverments were not interested. Don't believe they are getting rid of the combustion engine because of emissions, an we will always need fossel fuels.  It's all about the money new investment produces.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Many manufacturers had a Petrol engine that was near totally efficient before the EV generation. But the goverments were not interested. Don't believe they are getting rid of the combustion engine because of emissions, an we will always need fossel fuels.  It's all about the money new investment produces.

What do you mean by “near totally efficient”? What money does new investment produce for governments? They make a shit load from tax and duty in petrol and diesel currently. Plus all the money from road tax linked to emissions levels.

link

Energy efficient. EVs convert over 77% of the electrical energy from the grid to power at the wheels. Conventional gasoline vehicles only convert about 12%–30% of the energy stored in gasoline to power at the wheels.

Next stage is to produce as much of the grid electricity as greenly as possible.

Combustion Engines waste a huge amount of energy through heat, noise and movement.

Then of course produce lots of poisonous and greenhouse gases causing various illnesses and contributing to climate change.

Edited by Genie

Â