I have a confession to make.....

Houlston

Just popped out to do the shopping. Where the road to our village meets the dual carriageway it is a no right turn. There was a cyclist turning right across 4 lanes of 60mph road to get to the cycle path on the other side. (illegal) not only that but there was a perfectly good cycle path on this side of the road that actually extends further along the road than the one he used (idiotic). He also weaved in and out of the cars on the opposite side of the road queuing to turn right off the dual carriageway to get to our village (words fail me for that bit)

You see morons doing all sorts of stupid things on the roads. 

Strangely though, when it's cyclists doing something there seems to be some sort of group responsibility that applies. "I saw this cyclist jumping a light" = "All cyclists jump red lights" in the minds of many people. I also hear that as a cyclist I should obey the road rules or I will give cyclists a bad name. I obey the road rules because it's the right thing to do, just as a car pulling a dick move doesn't give all drivers a bad name one cyclist doing something stupid has no relation to me or my actions. 

• Like 2

Just popped out to do the shopping. Where the road to our village meets the dual carriageway it is a no right turn. There was a cyclist turning right across 4 lanes of 60mph road to get to the cycle path on the other side. (illegal) not only that but there was a perfectly good cycle path on this side of the road that actually extends further along the road than the one he used (idiotic). He also weaved in and out of the cars on the opposite side of the road queuing to turn right off the dual carriageway to get to our village (words fail me for that bit)

You see morons doing all sorts of stupid things on the roads. 

Strangely though, when it's cyclists doing something there seems to be some sort of group responsibility that applies. "I saw this cyclist jumping a light" = "All cyclists jump red lights" in the minds of many people. I also hear that as a cyclist I should obey the road rules or I will give cyclists a bad name. I obey the road rules because it's the right thing to do, just as a car pulling a dick move doesn't give all drivers a bad name one cyclist doing something stupid has no relation to me or my actions.

You see the thing with cyclists is, its not a minority, my perception from driving around a city 12 hours a day is that it genuinely is most of them. Again on my way to work today a cyclist in front of me goes through a red light, what comes out of the side road whose lights were green who he nearly runs into was a police car, nothing done! If that was a car he'd have been pulled over in seconds and been given a fixed penalty and three points

I have to confess that as a cyclist I regularly jump familiar red lights IF they don't cross any traffic, but I always slow down in case of crossing pedestrians. I have one of Boris' cycle superhighways for almost the entire route to work, so if I'm riding along the horizontal of a T junction I don't cross traffic at all. I know it pisses drivers off, but most of them are just bitter that it takes twice as long to drive anywhere in London by car as it does to cycle.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not been able to concentrate all day due to a dream i had last night. A bit like in that movie 'Still Crazy' with the band 'Strange Fruit' where one of the band members had a visitation from a former band member who was thought to be dead.

Benjamin Orr the late and great former lead singer of 'The Cars' (now my avatar) scolded me for not doing more with my music. Very vivid and it was one of those dreams where you want to stay in and not awaken.

Music is my escape from reality much in the same way and for the same reason you would go to the movies for a few hours. However, i have been making every excuse recently not to go back into my home studio and start recording again due to other things on going in my life.

No have not been on any substance and don't normally have those type of dreams but just felt really weird all day and as a consequence have been reflective and quiet which my fiancee has also noted.   

Strange Fruit is one of my favourite films

Spoiler alert....here's the ending(sort of bit of a splice going on)

I forgot to put the media bits around it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2SJbhVbPsA

And since this is the confession thread I will confess I shed a tear watching this. So if you're a wimp like me be careful  :excl: although it's not in the context of watching the rest of the film so you may be ok...or you may be tough so be fine regardless.

Edited by 8pints
  • Like 1

I'm a cyclist but I hate most of them as well.

Chumps that have all the gear, then go really slow are the worst. Full bright yellow lycra and £1,000 road bike, then trundling along at walking pace. Get out of the way! Bloody walk you posing bed wetter.

• Like 1

For those who hate cyclists...

Are you not that bothered about these?

unicycle.jpg

But these really annoy you?

chopper_trike_20.jpg

Or maybe it's the reverse?

Edited by 8pints

I have never 1) stepped foot in an IKEA store and 2) watched any of the Star Wars films.

Can anybody else match that?

1. I've never been to IKEA either

2. I've never seen ET, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Teen Wolf, Top Gun and probably quite a few more 80s films who everyone says I "have to watch" :rolleyes:

3. Oh and I thought The Goonies sucked.