Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

Villan_007

I'll try and be careful the way I word this. But someone who likes to highlight how he has both a Bentley and a Jag is someone I would immediately regard as....well, I don't really need to finish the sentence do I?

Ok, to go through the various points. CNZ. Doesn't do enough. But the fact he is on such huge wages also makes him someone to be punted. Look at it another way, why would any manager come in and without being asked to do so get rid of all the big earners? It's not the sort of thing a manager would do without good reason so to suggest otherwise is nonsense. He doesn't fancy the player anyway. But wages are a problem for the club.

Doesn't like managing proven top players? Do you get many of them at the clubs he has been at? With all due respect, that is a stupid statement. What proven top players have played for Norwich City in recent years? What did the players at Norwich think of him - they loved him. They weren't all top players of course but they were very successful under him.

What proven top players has he managed at Villa? I think you'll find Gabby is a big fan. I'd say he's a proven top player. Benteke is now a proven top player. So if that is the case why did Lambert try so hard to keep him in the summer when he could have been sold. I mean, if we are taking this doesn't like working with top players seriously. To get a proven top players these days I think most of us would be in agreement you need to say £60k plus and that isn't permitted right now so once again that point is complete nonsense.

Compared to teams around us? What did Norwich spend? And Cardiff? Sunderland? I'm not going to go through every team but as much as I'm not criticising the level of spending it hasn't been huge. I think we all agree on that. So once again I don't think such a statement can be justified.

Bacuna can play right back but I prefer him in midfield. Lowton was poor at times this season hence why he is out the team and Bacuna is in. But that will no doubt eventually change further down the line. He was brought in as someone who can play across the middle of the park and right back.

WBA. They signed Lakuna for £2m loan fee plus £70-80k wages. Now I said before it was even mentioned recently that was the case - last year on here in fact. So is Howard saying we could also have paid such a figure? Not true. That's where that one comes from. What have they spend recently? I'm not interested in them enough to know.

Your top point is, how will I put it, not true. I don't know what else to say about that. Do you think any manager in their right mind would be allowed to buy the "right player" at the "right price" yet not try and sign someone for big money who would clearly make a difference? Also, if managers comments were untrue then why didn't Randy correct him then?

Thanks for taking the time to reply to them all HH, much appreciated and very interesting to read.

Also forgot to add that Gareth Barry got given the greenlight by the board but lambert said no, but having read your Lukaku repsonse I'll file that rumour with the others.

Thanks again!

If you do feel like answering any more questions, which I'm sure we'd all love but have no problem if you don't want to:

I am intrigued to know whether or not new signings made in January will depend on our position being bad or our position being good? Do you think we will sign players if we're not doing so well to avoid the scrap at the bottom, or will we sign players if we are doing well to help us push on?

I know Lukaku is a good player but £2m plus huge wages is a massive waste of money when you don't get the option of keeping him. Just about £5m down the toilet.

Don't really agree with this point of view.

Take Benteke - and ignore the fact that he turned out alright.

(Assume) We signed him for about £7m, paying him £20k per week, on a 4 year deal. That is about £2.75m a season, without taking account of any additional fees we may have had to fork out, plus the cost of forking out the largely upfront lump sum (even now, a few million quid can get a decent return from a financial institution).

But - it isn't £2.75m a season - it's £11m over 4 years - whether he turns out well or shite.

You pay (guessing) £5m for one year, but that's it. If it goes wrong, you get to cut your losses and walk away.

And don't forget Lukaku was bought by Chelski for £20m wasn't he? £2m to own him for 20% of his conract which you paid £20m for? West Brum may have go a bit of a bargain!

Just my point of view :)

Do you think if we're say mid-table (10th or 11th) come January that we won't sign anybody else then?

I think you need to ask Lerner that question

Will he be happy with us being safely midtable and not invest or will he inject some funds and try to get us in a late push for europe. It could be doable if there are not many points between 10th and 6th. Plus I think if we want to keep Benteke for another season we will need europa league at a minimum and it could prove to be very inticing as Lambert could sell that to him suggesting it will benefit his development as a footballer.

Edited by AshVilla

That's basically what I'm asking about Ash, the whole "we could make signings but it depends on our position in January" could mean either we're in the scrap and need reinforcements or we are in a good position and want to add quality to keep us going for a higher place.

I hope it's the latter if I am honest as I reckon in January we'll be about 9th or 10th.

Aiden McGeady has been trafser listed by Spartak Moscow.

We will defintetly be linked in the media.

Thing is he’s within our budget and would be an improvement on what we have so maybe it’s a possibility. ;) 

ive re-read this. Im not sure if this is a joke and id be worried if it wasnt :o

Aiden McGeady has been trafser listed by Spartak Moscow.

We will defintetly be linked in the media.

Thing is he’s within our budget and would be an improvement on what we have so maybe it’s a possibility. ;) 

ive re-read this. Im not sure if this is a joke and id be worried if it wasnt :o

It must be.

HH great to have you on the forum and appreciate you're input and observations. personally I don't want to know who you are just appreciate the comments.

One question I wonder about is if PL is frustrated about the lack of possession we have during games or does he believe this is a bi product of to trying to defend better, does he think that when the confidence rises in the defenders the possession and forward play will improve.

Â