The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

He won't want a prolonged period in the Championship, but I think he would like to bring us back, so I think it will all depend in the clubs plans in the summer. 

If they plan to try and come back on the cheap the escape route back to France may appeal, if they are going to back him I think he'd stay.  

Whatever decision Remi makes in the summer will give us a good insight into boards future plans.  

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Doesn't necessarily have to be better paid though.

If the rumours of Lyon wanting him back are true, and he's ok with managing them, he could quite easily walk away from Villa if he's not happy here even if Lyon pay less and he'd miss out on compensation.

He could. I just don't think he will. Normally it would be refreshing to see a manager happy to take a pay cut if not happy. I just think the sums involved these days will mean we'll get another season with him. 

That's assuming the board want to even keep him. They are probally eyeing a cheaper manager themselves.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

No I don't think he will either as I have (possibly misplaced) belief that the board will want to come straight back up.

But if Garde is really unhappy with things here, I can see that scenario being feasible.

12 minutes ago, useless said:

The only place I've heard the rumour was on BT sports yesterday during the commentary. I think he'll want to stay even if we go down, bringing us straight back up won't do any harm to his CV.

But finishing mid table in the Championship probably will, so it will come down to backing. 

19 minutes ago, YLN said:

I'm not sure if that is likely. I don't think a currently employed manager who was planning on leaving his current club to move to someone else would appear in the crowd to watch a game of the other team. Like if your wife is suspicious that you're having an affair with another woman, and when she rings you to ask where you are, you tell her you're over having tea in the other woman's house. In the middle of the night. 

Unless he's trying to send a message to Lerner to say that if he keeps being a total arsehole, Remi still has friends in Lyon. Like if your wife is being a total bitch, and keeps embarrassing you in front of your friends, so you show her all your tinder matches. 

Somebody's got infidelity on their mind . . . 

On 6 February 2016 at 00:52, Djemba_Villan said:

I like Garde, so don't read this as me getting excited about him leaving, but with his recent comments about wondering whether next year's 'project' is for him, i'd like to think the club are lining up a list of candidates to replace him should he walk (or not be deemed qualified to bring a team up from the championship).

Just throwing jt out there but would Moyes be the ideal replacement? He might have to take the drop to championship to recover his reputation and he could do a lot worse than us. I've always had the feeling he's custom made for us.

Failing him, other 'proven' championship managers might include:-

• McLaren (if Newcastle sack him) - not popular i'm sure
  • Pearson (not a fan at all myself as I think he was bankrolled at leicester but he has experience nonetheless)
  • McKay?
  • Maybe a sacked manager from teams whom survive in the prem like Pardew, Pulis or Howe

Just interested in people's thoughts.

Pearson ...bankrolled?

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Pearson ...bankrolled?

Hmm. I must admit. That was based on the assumption that as they are owned by mega rich Thai owners that he would have had a disproportionate amount to spend on fees and wages in the Championship. It appears that is not the case.

4 minutes ago, Djemba_Villan said:

Hmm. I must admit. That was based on the assumption that as they are owned by mega rich Thai owners that he would have had a disproportionate amount to spend on fees and wages in the Championship. It appears that is not the case.

Correction accepted.

For what it's worth - I don't think Garde's wages will decide. The board's support (or lack thereof) might. When he arrived, IIRC he spoke about a medium-term project. That's clearly not just a part of a single season, but hinting at a longer-term rebuild, probably accepting a possible relegation along the way.

He comes across as a quietly stubborn character, one that won't want to quit once he has agreed to take on a project. It was reported that he offered to resign at Lyon if the board decided to sell one particular player that he deemed essential to the team.

I believe that the only thing that will make him look elsewhere is if he isn't confident that he'll be given the required tools (economical support) by the board to do what he thinks is necessary.

He might not work out, of course - and whether he does or not, the board may decide to fire him and look for another manager.

Â