The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

8 minutes ago, sne said:

I don't rate Allardyce.

He might have had a shorter bedding in period, but in the long run Garde is imo a much better option for us.

Allardyce has 17 p from 17 games

Garde has 11 p from 13 games

Not a huge difference considering Garde is new to managing in the league and that Allardyce has been at the Sunderland job longer and been able to bring in new players in January.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Garde has 17 points from 17 games when he gets there anyway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

And you blame Garde for that?

I don't think he has got as much out of the squad as others would have. A few wins early on may have given the board some hope of staying up and prompted them to invest in a striker and an attacking midfielder to push on.  

1 minute ago, Michael118 said:

I don't think he has got as much out of the squad as others would have. A few wins early on may have given the board some hope of staying up and prompted them to invest in a striker and an attacking midfielder to push on.  

The board not investing is down to the board and nobody else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

The board not investing is down to the board and nobody else.

Well I think Allardyce or Guidolin would have got those points. We would have been closer to safety and had no excuse but to blame the board entirely.

Garde took over on the 2nd November. Since then Sunderland have lost 8 league games and Villa 6, that's with Allardyce knowing the league inside out, having some money to spend and have a month extra to put his stamp on the team. He's not a terrible manager but he's not the messiah and Lerner wouldn't let Allardyce throw money around, not to mention that Allardyce is probably on a far bigger whack than Remi.

Edited by Wezbid
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

A few wins early on may have given the board some hope of staying up and prompted them to invest

I agree with this point

14 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Garde took over on the 2nd November. Since then Sunderland have lost 8 league games and Villa 6, that's with Allardyce knowing the league inside out, having some money to spend and have a month extra to put his stamp on the team. He's not a terrible manager but he's not the messiah and Lerner wouldn't let Allardyce throw money around, not to mention that Allardyce is probably on a far bigger whack than Remi.

When Allardyce took over Sunderland had the worst squad in the premier league by a mile. Can't understand why they got rid of Pantilimon but apart from that he has them in order and and is getting the most out of what they have. I think they made some good and dubious signings and the competition around them is fierce this season so it will be interesting to see if they can escape.

24 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

The fact that we'd struggle to score in a brothel, and our Manager (who they employed) specifically saying he needed a striker, should have been more than enough for the board to invest in a striker. 

As Mantis said, the board not investing is down to them, and them only. 

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

I don't think he has got as much out of the squad as others would have.

I think he's done better than most.  He's sorted us out defensively and made us more organised.  Up front though we just don't have the personal.  I'd be surprised if Guardiola had us scoring more.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, av1 said:

The fact that we'd struggle to score in a brothel, and our Manager (who they employed) specifically saying he needed a striker, should have been more than enough for the board to invest in a striker. 

As Mantis said, the board not investing is down to them, and them only. 

I disagree, our poor run before the window sealed our fate. we should have had more from Norwich, Sunderland and Newcastle. The team that was put out at Carrow Road still baffles me to this day. We gave that game away

5 minutes ago, KHV said:

I disagree, our poor run before the window sealed our fate. we should have had more from Norwich, Sunderland and Newcastle. The team that was put out at Carrow Road still baffles me to this day. We gave that game away

Arguably our form in early January has been the best it has all year, and we arguably could have picked up a few wins had we have had a half decent striker. 

I'm of the belief that our recent form should have strengthened the managers case for investment rather than hinder it. 

Â