FIFA Corruption

islingtonclaret

To link those two up, the sponsors will pull out if the nations pull out.

As evil and corrupt as FIFA are, at the moment, if all the big countries play, i'll still watch the Qatar world cup. I wont be able to help myself and neither will a few billion other people.

But if England and Germany pull out and a few other reasonable sized nations follow, the amount of people watching will start to drop off very quickly, and then the sponsors aren't getting value for money, and that's when they pull out.

FIFA just needs one gutsy, large footballing nation like Germany to pull out and everything else will fall like dominoes.

There's an article on the beeb that suggests that Qatar used bilateral trade agreements on natural gas in order to obtain votes. I can't help but wonder how much a world cup costs - £50m? £100m, £200m? 

No wonder the people involved are very keen to ensure this stays under the carpet - it looks like there are huge sums available.

If they just put them up for sale and let people pay, I'd be fine with it, I just don't get the subterfuge - I guess it's because the money goes in lots of different pockets and i'd be very surprised if anyone's paying any tax on it. 

Â