Rugby: General Chat

MessiWillSignForVilla

I thought we could have shown caution to the wind and start Finn Smith with Fordy there to come on last half an hr. On this performance that would be even more justified, Ford doesn’t look fully fit or match sharp 

25 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

We have to have the salary cap though, it’s not sustainable to allow excessive spending. We’ve lost so many clubs recently.

What they should allow is players abroad to play for England. 

I don't disagree with the cap at all, but I just think it's the main reason that there's such huge differences in the quality of the leagues.

25 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I thought we could have shown caution to the wind and start Finn Smith with Fordy there to come on last half an hr. On this performance that would be even more justified, Ford doesn’t look fully fit or match sharp 

I don't think he has the kicking game of Ford, and kicking for territory and applying pressure is Borthwick's plan. It's exactly what he did at Leicester, but that only worked because he had some big second and back rows who were also dynamic.

England defensively and tactically naive in the first half but started the second much better.

we will get smashed though against France and Ireland. They are streets ahead of us at the moment.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Haha. England shite again. 

It always surprises me how little stick England Rugby team actually get compared to the football counterparts. Ultimately with all the resources available it's a bit embarrassing they are now a complete also ran in the six nations and haven't won a World cup in over 20 years.

Seems it comes together every so often to win a grand slam and then everyone is content to go on easy street for a decade and not challenge them to achieve anything.

Wales look terrible aswell, not sure Gatland in his second spell is going to do much.

On 03/02/2024 at 17:22, VillaChris said:

It always surprises me how little stick England Rugby team actually get compared to the football counterparts. Ultimately with all the resources available it's a bit embarrassing they are now a complete also ran in the six nations and haven't won a World cup in over 20 years.

Seems it comes together every so often to win a grand slam and then everyone is content to go on easy street for a decade and not challenge them to achieve anything.

Wales look terrible aswell, not sure Gatland in his second spell is going to do much.

to be fair, the 2019 world cup was ours to lose. SA just did a job on us on the day. we comfortably beat a top NZ side on the way to that final

Somehow, Scotland have contrived to allow France to take the lead. 

second half has been a poor spectacle so hopefully France taking the lead will spark the match back to life

Edited by theboyangel

People think VAR is corrupt? 

Absolutely no way that the ball wasn't grounded. Scotland utterly robbed there. How they can conclude they're not certain the ball is grounded when it's right there in screen is beyond me. 

Might as well stop using the tech as unless you've got a view of 100% of the ball you can't be certain it's grounded. Bullshit man. 

Tbh it's the on field refs mistake.  He makes a statement based on having the worst view of anyone.  He can't see the ball from the position he takes then states he saw it held up.  I'm not sure why he even comes to saying that apart from a bit of arrogance that their always right.

• Like 1

But the referee did see the ball being held up (which was confirmed on the replays as initially on the French leg) but requested TMO to confirm if it was grounded. To say he arrogantly made the call is slightly absurd. 

Sadly for the Scots, the footage wasn’t as conclusive on the grounding with many limbs obscuring the view.

They could’ve guessed it probably was grounded but couldn’t say for definite, therefore couldn’t award the try.

It’s tough on Scotland but that’s the way it is. 

• Like 1

Â