Rugby: General Chat

MessiWillSignForVilla

48 minutes ago, lammy123 said:

How do they not give that a try.  You can see its quite obviously on the grass.

No you can't. There's no picture that shows the ball was clearly on the ground and over the line. You can make assumptions but there's no conclusive proof. 

If the ref had said any reason not to award a try the TMO would have given the try.  Scotland can cry all they want but they threw the game away to an awful French side. Galthie is a total fraud. 

This ref in the England game, seems very quick to penalise the English. 
The penalty try seemed very harsh as not sure they were getting the ball there. 

Credit to the Welsh they have certainly come out to play heads up rugby. 

What I have always find stupid and it happens across all teams, is when the calls “use it” but then allow the scrum half to caterpillar it back for ages. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

Absolute nonsense with the conversion kick. He was still lining it up having stepped to the side to change his angle, he hadn't gone forwards. 

One of the most of inept pieces of refereeing I’ve ever seen. Just completely folded and/or wasn’t watching. 

Hopefully England adjust to the new defence set up sooner than later and can replicate the success SA had with it.

However, at the moment we're regularly leaving huge gaps for people to run through and counter.

If that’s the other way round he gives the penalty try. 

All England this half, although still not looking amazing in attack.
Mitchell had a good second half

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 1

You can see what England want to do defensively and once they get it right it could be very exciting to see. Still work in progress though. I think Cunningham-South could be vital moving forward in this structure, you can see why he has been fast tracked through. 
Theo Dan makes some excellent ground ball in hand, if he improves his line out, at some point George is going to come under a lot of pressure for that hooker place. 

• Like 2

I'm hopeful Ireland can win in Twickenham given the levels we've seen from England in last two games. While at home we've not lost a game in 3 or 4 years and also not lost at home to Italy, Wales or Scotland in well over a decade I'm sure. 

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

I'm hopeful Ireland can win in Twickenham given the levels we've seen from England in last two games. While at home we've not lost a game in 3 or 4 years and also not lost at home to Italy, Wales or Scotland in well over a decade I'm sure. 

I think it’s pretty much a given that Ireland will (convincingly) beat England at Twickenham.

England are a disjointed mess at the moment within a transitional phase that isn’t being implemented swiftly (or effectively) 

England have some great individuals and can play dynamic rugby but not consistently throughout 80 minutes and their new blitz style defence can be easily bypassed with quick hands and wide ball. 

Ireland have nothing to fear and should scoop up another grandslam!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I think it’s pretty much a given that Ireland will (convincingly) beat England at Twickenham.

England are a disjointed mess at the moment within a transitional phase that isn’t being implemented swiftly (or effectively) 

England have some great individuals and can play dynamic rugby but not consistently throughout 80 minutes and their new blitz style defence can be easily bypassed with quick hands and wide ball. 

Ireland have nothing to fear and should scoop up another grandslam!

Our attack off set piece is ridiculously good, as in without question the best in the world at it. Which is why when we lose or are pushed close to losing the opposing team has attacked our lineout and Scrum and got results. In the World Cup, South Africa and New Zealand both did that and we won and lost one each of those tight games. 

We've lost 3 games in the last 3 years, away in Paris, away in Eden Park and the World Cup QF and become very strong at winning away from home, having won away to England, France, New Zealand & Australia. Which puts us in a strong place for winning in Twickenham in a few weeks. We continue to churn out Test level players from our club game too which is keeping the side refreshed and competitive. 

• Like 1

Two wins from two for England, but where is the new entertaining England we were being told about before the tournament began? All I saw was the same old risk - free conservative rugby. Ireland will destroy us.

Edited by sheepyvillian

9 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Two wins from two for England, but where is the new entertaining England we were being told about before the tournament began? All I saw was the same old risk - free conservative rugby. Ireland will destroy us.

England won’t beat Scotland (our narrow blitz defence will get easily bypassed by Fin Russell), Ireland (let’s face it - we’ll get schooled for 80 minutes) or France (who despite stuttering so far, are still a better team than us)

England are far from being a cohesive unit with an identifiable gameplan. Our set plays are predictable and rarely pay dividends, with players panicking after 2 or 3 phases of play and opting to kick into space instead of resetting and going again.

Borthwick is channelling his inner Stevie G and relying on individuals producing a little bit of magic!

There are glimpses of positivity but that’s on the individual players and rarely on passages of play. 

Borthwick is not the answer to making England a dominant force in world rugby - the third place at the World Cup is a complete misdirection in how we play rugby but has gifted him more time in the hot seat than his brand deserves. 

6 hours ago, theboyangel said:

England won’t beat Scotland (our narrow blitz defence will get easily bypassed by Fin Russell), Ireland (let’s face it - we’ll get schooled for 80 minutes) or France (who despite stuttering so far, are still a better team than us)

England are far from being a cohesive unit with an identifiable gameplan. Our set plays are predictable and rarely pay dividends, with players panicking after 2 or 3 phases of play and opting to kick into space instead of resetting and going again.

Borthwick is channelling his inner Stevie G and relying on individuals producing a little bit of magic!

There are glimpses of positivity but that’s on the individual players and rarely on passages of play. 

Borthwick is not the answer to making England a dominant force in world rugby - the third place at the World Cup is a complete misdirection in how we play rugby but has gifted him more time in the hot seat than his brand deserves. 

Change Borthwick to Southgate and you could very easily be talking about English football and not rugby.

Hopefully Steve is actually a tad more competent than Gareth though. He has at least had some success at club level.

• Like 1

On 12/02/2024 at 09:24, theboyangel said:

Not saying I disagree with any that you’ve said, and playing devils advocate, but SA have won the last 2 world cups playing the same way. They just have a bigger stronger pack to support the plan. 
I think with Ollie Lawrence coming back in, we should have more grunt which will help, but yes Ireland will be miles ahead of us. Scotland will win, but I think we can ruffle them, and France well they could self implode or destroy us.

• Like 1

So England team is out, Ollie Lawrence is a good addition to the team, think he could have a big impact. Really surprised to see Steward out, when not injured, it may be that we aren’t going to be kick chase so much as he is the best at that. I still need convincing at Furbank at international level, although he did play under Eddie so he may be better than that (I’m also judging him on his peado moustache).

Its no surprise to see Care start with Mitchell out, but I do think him being the sub has helped England see out games with his experience, whereas they haven’t got that, all 3 backs subs are inexperienced at test level.
George Martin is a good addition to the bench as he did really well at the WC, again surprised to see the props changed, but at least the subs here are experienced.  

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 1

Â