Hope Powell

Eames

Sacked by the FA

Hope Powell sacked as England women's manager

Hope Powell has been sacked as manager of the England women's football team.

The 46-year-old had been in charge since 1998 but was criticised after England were eliminated in the group stages of Euro 2013 last month.

England lost two matches and drew one in Sweden, their worst performance at a European Championship since 2001.

Hope Powell's England record

Appointed England coach in June 1998 to become the first full-time boss of the women's team

Powell said: "I leave very honoured to have contributed to all of the collective achievements of the group over the past 15 years."

In a statement issued via the League Managers Association, she added: "The women's game as a whole has made significant progress during this time and will continue to do so in years to come. I am extremely proud to have played some part in the development of women's football as a whole.

"At this stage, I would just like to thank all of the players and staff at the FA who I have worked with during my time in charge of all the England women's international teams. I sincerely wish the current group of players and my successor the very best for the future."

Powell's England were losing finalists at Euro 2009 and reached the World Cup in 2007 and 2011, when they made it to the quarter-finals.

FA general secretary Alex Horne said after "the disappointment" of Euro 2013 that "the time is right to make a change and for a fresh outlook".

He added: "Hope deserves a lot of credit for her commitment to developing the national teams over such a long period.

"The high point was undoubtedly reaching the Uefa European Championship final four years ago.

"Hope will always be welcome back at Wembley Stadium and [national football centre] St George's Park and she leaves a strong legacy, having helped the FA build the women's game to the strong position it is in today."

The FA will now look to recruit both a new head coach and a technical lead for women's football.

"We will be speaking to people from across the game both domestically and internationally before making any appointments," said Horne.

It is understood the FA is aiming to have someone in place for the World Cup qualifier against Belarus on 21 September, although England Under-19 boss Mo Marley could act as cover.

England skipper Casey Stoney told BBC Sport she was "shocked" to hear the news and said Powell had changed the face of the women's game in England.

"When we first starting playing, we used to get spanked 6-0 by the United States in friendlies and then recently we beat them 2-1," Stoney said. "She took the England team to a whole new level and maybe the FA now thinks it's time to go to the next level."

Following England's early exit in Sweden this summer, Powell was criticised for picking injured and out-of-form players.

And former England internationals Faye White and Sue Smith both said players might respond positively if there was a different coach in charge for the 2015 World Cup campaign.

Powell responded by saying the domestic game needed more investment if the national team wanted to compete with leading nations.

Wonder what odds you'd get of her getting a stab at a football league management job? Edited by Eames

It's going to ignite the old debate, but I agree with TRS-T.

The England manager (either sex) should be English.

Same rules as with players.

People say: "But our managers aren't good enough, we should just get the best available, regardless of nationality".

Well if that's the case you may as well apply it to the players, which shows how absurd an argument it is.

If it means England will be crap (and it does), so be it.

That might make sense for the larger national sides like England, but for national sides not blessed with knowledgeable alternatives it would hinder their progress. So it's very much a point of view that is easy to adopt from a comfortable position like England's.

I don't care if it will hinder their progress, that's not what competition is about.

It's like saying that a tiny village should be provided with all the facilities of a big city, because otherwise it's "not fair".

The Olympics used to be dominated by the USA and the USSR - because they had the biggest populations and the most resources. Surprise, surprise, the small ex-Soviet countries don't do so well.

The World Cup et al are there to decide which country has the best team - players and coaches. I wouldn't expect Fiji or San Marino to be seriously competing with Italy and Brazil; they aren't allowed to hire mercenary foreign players, so they shouldn't be allowed to hire mercenary foreign coaches.

At what point in the hierarchy of an(y) F.A. do you allow non-national staff to be hired? If by virtue of being part of that F.A. they are all; to one degree or another; contributing towards the fortunes of that national team. Does everyone have to be of that nationality or just the manager and players. Can the coaches, kit man, payroll, admins, P.R. people, secretaries etc be foreign? TBH I think it's sensible to restrict nationality to the players and leave the off the pitch stuff to look after itself* as it is ultimately better for the development of the game worldwide - which is on the face of it at least the driving force behind FIFA (although I'm not naïve enough to think money isn't the real driving force).

* it also avoids running into trouble with 'restriction of trade' employment laws.

Being semi serious, at what point in time will we get a female manager in charge of a league club? Not sure within 10 years but there's a few female chief execs about like Brady and I think at Wigan and Sunderland. Obviously there were publicity stunts like in Italy and I think a team in Conference South appointed a female for one game for some reason a few years ago.

Powell was far from useless, the Olympics was a great success for women's football and she got them to the quarters and a euro final I think. Just a case of staying in a job a little bit too long.

Â