Aliens

MessiWillSignForVilla

Do any of you guys believe in them?

It's just been something on my mind since I sat outside and watched the sky during the meteor shower. I don't think we've been "visited" but I have no doubt that there is some kind of life out there, not necessarily intelligent though.

Also if there is, what do you think we should do in terms of contact? I'm mixed about it, I think it would be exciting to meet another intelligent life form, but based on the only other intelligent life form we know of (Us) there's no guarantee they wouldn't try and destroy/enslave us.

I believe that there are alien life forms somewhere in the universe, it's too big and there are too many variables not to be I think.

I don't believe in aliens as they are portrayed in the media and films etc.  They have never visited in their little flying saucers and they definitely didn't build the pyramids.

Given the almost incomprehensible enormity of the universe, it's almost mathematically impossible that there isn't some form of life elsewhere.

My thoughts on Aliens are that they probably exist, owing to the sheer number of possible planets in the Universe (thanks Dr Hawkins). That said, I see no reason to suggest that they'd be anywhere near as intelligent as human beings. There are literally millions of different species of lifeforms on this planet, yet only one is intelligent enough to open a can of beans. I guess it would depend on the age of their planet and the evolutionary opportunities available to it's participants.

Given the almost incomprehensible enormity of the universe, it's almost mathematically impossible that there isn't some form of life elsewhere.

haven't they in theory already proved that to be the case  .. on Mars for example  ... though those "forms" have of course since died out

I presume by "intelligent " life he  means are we going to need Will Smith to save our sorry arses at some point in the future  ... to which my answer would be hell No

My thoughts on Aliens are that they probably exist, owing to the sheer number of possible planets in the Universe (thanks Dr Hawkins). That said, I see no reason to suggest that they'd be anywhere near as intelligent as human beings. There are literally millions of different species of lifeforms on this planet, yet only one is intelligent enough to open a can of beans. I guess it would depend on the age of their planet and the evolutionary opportunities available to it's participants.

We risk going off topic very early on by talking about the life that's on this planet, but I'd argue that there was already other life here (cromagnon, neanderthal) that could have opened a tin of beans. I know you're just using the general point but basically if you think that all life on this planet (as far as science knows) started from the same gooey pool of amino acids, then it's logical that you'll get one species at the top of the heap and the rest under it. We're the most advanced here. If the premise that there must be life somewhere else given the vastness of the universe is true then wherever that other life is, there'll be a species top of that pile too. As you say, it depends on the age of their planet, or rather it depends on how long that planet has been hospitable towards their type of life.

And on that note, the thing that always amazes/frustrates me about our scientists in their quest to discover life elsewhere is when they say they are looking for "planets that can support life" when what they are really saying is "planets that can support our type of life". Who's to say there isn't other life that doesn't need to live within our known constraints and parameters. If anything, it's reasonable to assume other life would have completely different requirements in order to survive.

Also if there is, what do you think we should do in terms of contact? I'm mixed about it, I think it would be exciting to meet another intelligent life form, but based on the only other intelligent life form we know of (Us) there's no guarantee they wouldn't try and destroy/enslave us.

There's also the theory that visitors would be so far advanced to have put war behind them. A nice theory!

This planet is a long way from being ready for any sort of contact.

We risk going off topic very early on by talking about the life that's on this planet, but I'd argue that there was already other life here (cromagnon, neanderthal) that could have opened a tin of beans. I know you're just using the general point but basically if you think that all life on this planet (as far as science knows) started from the same gooey pool of amino acids, then it's logical that you'll get one species at the top of the heap and the rest under it. We're the most advanced here. If the premise that there must be life somewhere else given the vastness of the universe is true then wherever that other life is, there'll be a species top of that pile too. As you say, it depends on the age of their planet, or rather it depends on how long that planet has been hospitable towards their type of life.

And on that note, the thing that always amazes/frustrates me about our scientists in their quest to discover life elsewhere is when they say they are looking for "planets that can support life" when what they are really saying is "planets that can support our type of life". Who's to say there isn't other life that doesn't need to live within our known constraints and parameters. If anything, it's reasonable to assume other life would have completely different requirements in order to survive.

Very true. To add to that though, if the number of planets in the solar system is so huge that some must support life, then by the same logic, some must support life which has evolved beyond our own. If what you're saying is true, that the most intelligent life form will always 'bob' to the top of the evolutionary pyramid, then there probably will be life-supporting planets far older than our own, supporting life forms that are able to open cans of beans without even using the tin opener!

Edited by Shillzz

Very true. To add to that though, if the number of planets in the solar system is so huge that some must support life, then by the same logic, some must support life which has evolved beyond our own. If what you're saying is true, that the most intelligent life form will always 'bob' to the top of the evolutionary pyramid, then there probably will be life-supporting planets far older than our own, supporting life forms that are able to open cans of beans without even using the tin opener!

Indeed. In fact going back to the mathematical argument, I think it'd be quite arrogant for us to assume we're the most advanced thing in the universe. It'd be akin to our ancestors assuming we were the centre of the universe or that the sun revolved around the earth. Unfortunately we'll probably have to wait a while until we can prove it to be the case, by which time we might need Will Smith. Or Ford Prefect.

given that we can't bring plants in from Asia without **** up the environment and killing the forests I can't wait for something horrible to pop out of Uranus and splatter us all with space snot

Â