Aliens

MessiWillSignForVilla

Statistically, it's almost certain that they're out there. 

But by the same token, the chances of them developing interstellar travel and visiting THIS tiny backwater (or us finding them), are probably infinitesimal. 

• Like 1

I have never really understood why there is so much time and money spent in searching the universe, I mean surely at this point the things we are investigating are well out of our reach so what can we hope to achieve by looking for them?

Yeah talk of aliens is interesting and just trying to comprehend the size of the universe is completely mind boggling but what do scientists actually learn when they find a new galaxy that is hundreds of light years away? is there anything to find out at the moment or with do they just go 'oh look a new galaxy'

Definitely other intelligent life out in the universe somewhere.

2 points spring to mind:

1) They might be so different to us that we can't even perceive they exist, and vice versa.

Random examples - they might be made entirely out of light in a spectrum we can't see.  or maybe they are in a liquid form, and live in other liquids.

2) Given the age of the universe and that humans have only existed for a second or so on that scale, chances are that a lot of intelligent life has come & gone before humans even  existed.

I have never really understood why there is so much time and money spent in searching the universe, I mean surely at this point the things we are investigating are well out of our reach so what can we hope to achieve by looking for them?

What do you think they are searching for? I think it's pretty important that we explain how the universe works, how it came to be and what will happen to it in future. Part of that  is observing what is out there. The only project which is searching for aliens is Seti and that's pretty much done by volunteers.

Yeah talk of aliens is interesting and just trying to comprehend the size of the universe is completely mind boggling but what do scientists actually learn when they find a new galaxy that is hundreds of light years away? is there anything to find out at the moment or with do they just go 'oh look a new galaxy'

We have to keep searching and pushing forward in all aspects of science and technology or we will never progress. In 2000 years (assuming we have not destroyed ourselves) the human race will be doing things we can't even imagine now. Non of it will be possible without what we are learning right now in this day and age.

Yeah I get that, it was a genuine question what is it that they are discovering aside from new galaxies which are not actually teaching us anything other than the fact that they exist, or is each one teaching us something new and if so what sort of stuff are they learning from them?

Also I find it crazy that we know so much about space and yet have only explored about 7% of the ocean floor

Yeah I get that, it was a genuine question what is it that they are discovering aside from new galaxies which are not actually teaching us anything other than the fact that they exist, or is each one teaching us something new and if so what sort of stuff are they learning from them?

Also I find it crazy that we know so much about space and yet have only explored about 7% of the ocean floor

We know almost nothing about space. We can't even explain where most of the matter is or why the universe is still expanding.

I think one of the main objectives is searching for planets that sit in the habital zone

If you believe that, then your science knowledge probably comes from tabloids :)

Yeah, it's a disgrace. I mean, they must have explored at least about 60% of space already.

No but a quick google tells me that we have seen something 13.3 billion light years away from earth, now when you consider that the average depth of the ocean is 2.65 miles and is largely unexplored I think that is pretty crazy

Â