Aliens

MessiWillSignForVilla

Also I find it crazy that we know so much about space and yet have only explored about 7% of the ocean floor

Yeah, it's a disgrace. I mean, they must have explored at least about 60% of space already.

No but a quick google tells me that we have seen something 13.3 billion light years away from earth, now when you consider that the average depth of the ocean is 2.65 miles and is largely unexplored I think that is pretty crazy

You're right I s'pose, but no reason not to explore them both, and we've probably got a much better idea of what's at the bottom of the sea. Dead fish, innit?

I think one of the main objectives is searching for planets that sit in the habital zone

If you believe that, then your science knowledge probably comes from tabloids :)

Wrong! My knowledge comes from the discovery channel.

So the real objective is? You sound like you know something we dont?

The main objectives of cosmology are to explain the origins, make up and future of the universe. Finding planets in the Goldilocks zone is done by a small number of scientists, usually as part of an effort to improve instrumentation.

I guess planet searching makes good TV as it's easy for those with a short attention span to get to understand the issues and therefore sells adverts.

The main objectives of cosmology are to explain the origins, make up and future of the universe. Finding planets in the Goldilocks zone is done by a small number of scientists, usually as part of an effort to improve instrumentation.

I guess planet searching makes good TV as it's easy for those with a short attention span to get to understand the issues and therefore sells adverts.

Well it kept me interested so i guess so.

Yep a fellow member of the Easily Entertained here. I think it's fascinating stuff. Working towards the day when the last of us stand in the shade of the last tree and a few selected specimens jump on the spaceship to launch our species in suspended animation for another crack at civilisation somewhere.

I think the majority of scientists/experts agree that the probabilities of alien life somewhere in the vastness of outerspace are fairly good. But there a certain % who point to something a lot nearer home.....INNERspace. Now for some reason I find that more disturbing.

BTW, I've seen three objects in the sky down here that I could'nt readily explain. I don't necessarily believe, but I'm always ready to be proved wrong. 

Also I find it crazy that we know so much about space and yet have only explored about 7% of the ocean floor

someone posted on facebook how "we know more about space than we do about what's on the bottom of our oceans" recently, and one of the guys i work with almost had a meltdown. i absolutely agree with him that it's nonsense, but his reaction to how people couldn't grasp the single most obvious problem with that statement was hilarious. he was nerdraging like hell, saying "BUT THERE ARE OCEANS IN SPACE" over and over again. It was epic

Well people use that shoddy line (where did it come from?) to shoot down cosmology and the like. I can understand why people would react strongly.

Frankly, we don't know much, and it's fascinating. Too many people brush space aside because it is too hard for them to get their head around. **** 'em.

Â