Taking the other half to a game...

Dodgyknees

When I met my partner she was completely 'anti-football' and knew absolutely nothing about the game. I have been working on her for the past two years - slow and steady - to the point she know asks questions about the game and actually recognises things such as a player being out of position.

I've managed to get her to wear Villa shirts, she has also fallen in love with this years away shirt.

As well as she I have been testing her knowledge by asking her names of Villa players and she knows quite a few now, for example we were in London for the game at the weekend, I said "guess who scored our goals" she said "Benteke and Agbonlahor" (close enough! - I did help by saying one player scored twice)

So, next up is to take her to a game and obviously, I want to take her to one where she will experience a win (nothing like it) and also I cannot wait for her to feel that amazing almost spiritual feeling of being at VILLA PARK!!!!!

Looking for suggestions really, what game do you think we should do - and has anybody else taken their partner for the first time, what did you do on the day?

UTV!

Sounds similar to where I was a couple of years ago. She's lost a little bit of interest in Villa since her local team (swansea) got promoted but as tickets for the liberty are impossible to get hold of, she is always happy for a trip to Birmingham to see Villa play.

The best bit of it is that she is not so into the game that she minds going to get the Bovril and balti pies in ten minutes before half time.

• Like 1

Cardiff at home on November 9th would be a good bet. Or Palace the day after Christmas?

Never brought a lady to VP, but I'd suggest you go to Trinity or Witton instead of Holte or North. More polite crowd, and less likely to complain about not being able to see the match.

• Like 1

I did look at the Cardiff game and the Rotherham one would be good but it's almost impossible for her to get a week day off. (quite short notice too) as for the Bovril comment, she loves the stuff, so we are already halfway there! I have already told her how delicious the pies are!

I am so excited to be bringing her, I know she will love it!

Cardiff at home on November 9th would be a good bet. 

No no no no no.

Honestly their fans are horrible, they always kicked off around the Forest ground in Nottingham whenever they came here and will be trouble this season.

Not the game to take a newbie especially the misses but if you do stay well away from Witton.

I've managed to get her to wear Villa shirts

Bet it was a Postma one wasn't it :)

:o

Unfortunately she has been wearing a Downing one! lol

No no no no no.

Honestly their fans are horrible, they always kicked off around the Forest ground in Nottingham whenever they came here and will be trouble this season.

Not the game to take a newbie especially the misses but if you do stay well away from Witton.

Are they really that bad? :(

No no no no no.

A Downing one? Blimey, guess you will have to do everything yourself then as you won't get an assist ;)

And yes, yes they are.

• Like 2

No no no no no.

A Downing one? Blimey, guess you will have to do everything yourself then as you won't get an assist ;)

And yes, yes they are.

I did check whether she had 5 fingers mind..!

Not going to the Cardiff game then, her original impression of football fans was that they were all drunk thugs! Back to the drawing board.

I think it's far better taking a noob to something that's going to generate a bit of atmosphere. I took people to games we were expected to win before and even though they see a few goals it's nowhere near as good for them.

Go to something like Man Utd, Chelsea etc. Packed Villa Park and amazing atmosphere anywhere in the Holte.

Not exactly the topic, but close...

When i've been over at VP i've always stood with the Holte (ahhh, that stairway to heaven!). Was thinking of taking my son/family over when he gets a bit older (he's villa mad already, at age of 4), but thinking that the holte might not be the best place for him/them. I guess trinity or witton would be the place to sit? Are there any particular areas in those ends that are considered a bit more family friendly? We're norwegian and there is still a while until he learns english, so what ever that is being shouted around us won't be a problem, but you know, would prefer a little bit of a "softer" atmosphere. Any suggestions? 

• Like 1

The cup game v Rotherham, cheap and she gets to see a win and villa park under the flood lights

Not sure what kind of crowd we'll get at that one - maybe it'd be better for her to experience Villa Park for the first time at full volume?

Cardiff at home on November 9th would be a good bet. Or Palace the day after Christmas?

Never brought a lady to VP, but I'd suggest you go to Trinity or Witton instead of Holte or North. More polite crowd, and less likely to complain about not being able to see the match.

On a similar note to my above point, I think the atmosphere is what really makes a live game, particularly for many who haven't been before.  If you don't think she'll mind hearing many more 'colourful' comments, then I'd say go for the Upper Holte, without question.  If standing regularly is an issue, go for something right at the front of the upper tier if you can get it, or towards the wings.

Took my missus for the first time to Cardiff at home in the league cup. Then took her away at selhurst and wembley for that final. Those are her only 3 experiences of football up close - she doesn't even stay in the room when motd is on!!

Suffice to say that after the wembley debacle she hasn't wanted to watch another villa match (yet) in person, my advice would be to pick Hull at home so it's a winning atmosphere (we hope) at least :P

Â