Christian Benitez

Swerbs

You know what the first thing I thought of when I heard about this was?  I hope the Holte End don't come up with another song like the Tracy Andrews or Aliou Cisse chants. 

Tragic and sad. R.I.P

I doubt any such bad taste song would catch on Rev, most people realise right from wrong.

I hate the scum club he played for but wished him no ill, very sad to see his last tweet.

You know what the first thing I thought of when I heard about this was?  I hope the Holte End don't come up with another song like the Tracy Andrews or Aliou Cisse chants. 

I dont think will happen this time. Think with Petrov just recovering from being badly ill just, id expect the majority of Villa fans to let any idiots know to shut up

T

I doubt any such bad taste song would catch on Rev, most people realise right from wrong.

On football terraces? Really?  I'm still waiting to see it. 

• Like 1

Looks like this is a heart attack unfortunately and possibly related to the heat.

The temperature out there is oppressive and this leads me to the World Cup situation, what a crazy idea to stage it in Qatar at the height of summer.

Hearing now that it was a heart attack after playing a football match in the Qatari heat for his new club.

Dear FIFA,

Re-visit your decision or live with your conscience.

Rgds

Every non-paid-off, sane football fan on the planet.

I'm fairly sure that it wasn't a heart attack BOF but rather than his heart stopped following appendix issues.

If his appendix burst it could likely be sepsis which could slow the heart to a stop.

Anyway... best not to speculate I guess, I'm sure all will become clear.

Yeah a BBC article says

The Ecuador international was admitted to hospital with severe stomach pains shortly after making his debut for Qatari side El Jaish on Sunday. His heart failed hours later.

It can't bode well though.  It could be a case of confusing correlation with causality but it can't reflect well on the bid when a non-Qatari goes there, plays in that heat and tragically dies a few hours later.  While it could have been the underlying appendix issue, there will rightly be a lingering question mark over whether the playing conditions exacerbated the situation.

I'm now speculating which is the very thing I didn't want to do...

But if was his appendix, which given the information currently in the public domain, seems most likely. Then the heat isn't really likely to have been a factor.

It is understandable that people will question if the heat was a factor in this sad news and right that it should be examined but it is probably wrong to jump to the conclusion that it did. That said the World Cup shouldn't be happening in Qatar and no just because of the heat but that is another discussion.

The most pressing question I think is did the player have a medical before signing and if so how was this condition missed?

Heat exhaustion is obviously a possibility, just look at the two poor SAS candidates in Wales but I'd be surprised.

• 1 month later...

there was a really eerie moment for me a few minutes ago. I'm watching Colombia vs ecaudors world cup qualifier and the channel was showing highlights of the first wcq the two countries played during this qualifying cycle. they get to the fifty third minute and show the only goal of the game, scored by none other than Christian Benitez. Just crazy to me that a year or so ago he was scoring a goal that could still be crucial in sending his country to the world cup. RIP

there was a really eerie moment for me a few minutes ago. I'm watching Colombia vs ecaudors world cup qualifier and the channel was showing highlights of the first wcq the two countries played during this qualifying cycle. they get to the fifty third minute and show the only goal of the game, scored by none other than Christian Benitez. Just crazy to me that a year or so ago he was scoring a goal that could still be crucial in sending his country to the world cup. RIP

Sad moment, and from what people have said, he was a good person.

By the way where are you watching the Colombia game?

Â