Manchester United

BOF

Their vice chairman Ed Woodward said this to The Guardian:

“It’s difficult to deal in hypotheticals based on lots of different things,” Ed Woodward said. “The reality is that we’re not afraid of spending significant amounts of money in the transfer market.”

The club’s executive vice-chairman added: “Whether it’s a record or not doesn’t really resonate with us. What resonates is an elite player that the manager wants who is going to be a star for Manchester United.”

I mean interpreting that to suggest that Manchester United are considering breaking the world record is something a journalist will do to make sure people click on his article but it's not going to happen this summer is it?  I'm not sure who the next player to break the world record is at the moment, I can't see anyone. Messi ain't gonna move, neither is Bale and Ronaldo is too old now.   I guess the point of the quote is that Manchester United haven't finished spending yet.  Deep down I imagine they know they got away with a few years of underinvestment because Fergie kept the team at the top of the table despite the relative strength of the squad and now it's time to pay that debt off. 

to me its just to counter van gaal's claims that he's going to take the next month looking at the squad before deciding if he's going to be making any more signings

no doubt the fans who already criticise the owners saw that as an indication that he wasnt going to be backed, now the owners are saying theres tons of money available

arsenal and wenger do it every summer, bit of a non story really

I'm not sure who the next player to break the world record is at the moment, I can't see anyone. Messi ain't gonna move, neither is Bale and Ronaldo is too old now. 

*insert Ethan Moore joke here*

Their vice chairman Ed Woodward said this to The Guardian:

“It’s difficult to deal in hypotheticals based on lots of different things,” Ed Woodward said. “The reality is that we’re not afraid of spending significant amounts of money in the transfer market.”

The club’s executive vice-chairman added: “Whether it’s a record or not doesn’t really resonate with us. What resonates is an elite player that the manager wants who is going to be a star for Manchester United.”

I mean interpreting that to suggest that Manchester United are considering breaking the world record is something a journalist will do to make sure people click on his article but it's not going to happen this summer is it?  I'm not sure who the next player to break the world record is at the moment, I can't see anyone. Messi ain't gonna move, neither is Bale and Ronaldo is too old now.   I guess the point of the quote is that Manchester United haven't finished spending yet.  Deep down I imagine they know they got away with a few years of underinvestment because Fergie kept the team at the top of the table despite the relative strength of the squad and now it's time to pay that debt off. 

That man is a clown, they have overspent on every single player since he joined.

Man United Pre-Season:

Man Utd 7-0 LA Galaxy

Man Utd 3-2 Roma

Man Utd 0-0 Inter (5-3 pen)

Man Utd 3-1 Real Madrid

Looks like they've turned a corner. Looks like normal service will be resumed this season (especially if they add 1 or 2 more quality players).

i know van gaal is a great manager but they have jones, smalling and evans as their CBs next season

i dont think he's that special, they need at least one major CB and a RB IMO

If they continue with wing backs they have Valencia and Rafael on the right. And they will of course sign a CB.

ElEtAtg.jpg

109,318 turned up for Manchester United vs Real Madrid in Detroit today.   That's a hell of a stadium! 

I hope this means a European/World superleague isn't too far away.

Before it has always been the case that Premier League rights + European Money > Potential Superleague income

If they're able to tender bids for games to be held abroad and sell their own TV rights the gap may narrow

ElEtAtg.jpg

109,318 turned up for Manchester United vs Real Madrid in Detroit today.   That's a hell of a stadium! 

I hope this means a European/World superleague isn't too far away.

Before it has always been the case that Premier League rights + European Money > Potential Superleague income

If they're able to tender bids for games to be held abroad and sell their own TV rights the gap may narrow

Nah, it's years away yet.   The gate was huge but you have to factor in things like it happened just after a World Cup that the USA did pretty well in, it's a one off event so it's a novelty too. They can't reliably assume that games will get gates of this size every time they happen.  Seattle are getting 45k for home games in the MLS but every other club can only get between 15 and 20k. 

Oh, and apparently Real Madrid fanzine and occasional Spanish daily newspaper Marca photoshopped the image so it looked like there were more white shirts in the crowd than red: 

jJ84498.png

Nah, it's years away yet.   The gate was huge but you have to factor in things like it happened just after a World Cup that the USA did pretty well in, it's a one off event so it's a novelty too. They can't reliably assume that games will get gates of this size every time they happen.  Seattle are getting 45k for home games in the MLS but every other club can only get between 15 and 20k.

TV money is a lot more important than the gate.

The Premier League is at least as big as baseball as far as national* TV interest goes (before the World Cup). And when you look at the 18-49 demographic which advertisers value the most, there hasn't been a national baseball broadcast this season which has beat what NBCSN was averaging for 10am eastern games. It's reasonably likely that the next round of Premier League rights in the US will be something like $300 million a year (of course, the growth in the foreign rights might just make the big clubs in the PL rethink the current even split of foreign TV money...).

MLS meanwhile is set to get $90 million a year from ESPN, Fox, and Univision in their new round of TV deals, which means that the New England Revolution should be right around the 100th position worldwide in TV money for a club.

*: note that I said national interest; baseball is largely a regional sport: you watch your local team or the team you grew up with, but otherwise, the US sports fan isn't interested in baseball. Some of the baseball teams make a pile from TV rights through selling to regional sports networks (or by owning those networks or being owned by those networks).

Â