Old Money

HolteEndRob

I was at my moms house today and I was going through some of my old belongings. I saw an old Christmas card in an envelope from my nan and grandad. I was about to rip it up but I thought I would look at it again first. I opened the card and there was 40 pounds (two twenty pound notes) inside it! 

The problem is, they are the old twenty pound notes. Does anybody know for certain whether I can still exchange these at the bank for new notes? Some people are saying yes and some people are saying no and that the only way I can change them is if I go to the bank of England in London. Forget that! I'm not driving down to London just to change 40 quid! 

Oh and I have absolutely no idea why I would have opened a card with money in and left the money in the card instead of putting it in my wallet! I'd say the card was from about 2004. I couldn't believe it!

have you considered they may be worth more than £20 each?

google is your friend

If they are from 2004 then the chances are they probably aren't. :P 

Be careful, George Osborne may never give you them back...

I actually saw the title of this thread and thought it would be about the Tories.

I thought it would be about £ s d (as in Pounds, Shillings and Pence). 

I actually saw the title of this thread and thought it would be about the Tories.

I clicked on it thinking it was going to be about the Royal birth myself :)

I got given an old £20 in a shop a year or so ago, but didn't notice at the time. Posted it to the bank of England, and they posted back a nice new one :) Google the address

I thought it would be about £ s d (as in Pounds, Shillings and Pence). 

yes my thought was pre decimilisation

Update: 

The bank DO still accept old twenty pound notes, well LLoyds TSB do anyway. They wouldn't just give me a straight swap though. I had to put the money into my account then if I wanted the money there and then I had to withdraw it from the cashpoint outside. Oh well at least they took them. That 40 quid will buy the new home shirt. Job done!

Â