VillaGoMarching

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

They've been the victims of their own early success really. 5th would probably have been seen as a good effort at the start of the season, but a lot of their fans really started to believe they were in a title race (in a very different way to ours) so the second half of the season probably feels like a massive let-down. I imagine there's also a sense among the fanbase that he's been kind of found out tactically at this point. 

I'd say it's a bit MON esque. They've ran out of steam big time (very worrying for next season given they've played just three cup games). However it's like saying sack MON in summer 2009 after we'd collapsed from 3rd that year. Although probably were a few on this forum saying that.

• Like 2

I do like Ange, but I don't think defensively Spurs have the aptitude for it, and it's frustrating him. Hence his ambivalence about where they finish. Spurs need an overhaul still. Vicario has been a very good signing for them, and kept them in many games, but he's dropped off a little as the season progressed.

For Johnson's cost and PL experience, 5G and 8A, is decent, but for £47.5m you might expect a little more. Maddison also hasn't kept himself fit, only managing 25 appearances for £40m with just 4G and 7A to his name. That's almost £90m on talent who scored fewer than ten goals, but chipped in with decent assist figures.

van De Ven I think was good business, but the other Spurs defenders just aren't very good. It's too early to see on Dragusin - who wasn't cheap either at £26.7m.

The fixture list did favour Spurs early on as outside of United (2-0 win), Arsenal (draw) and Liverpool (a game they should have not won but did due to VAR ruling out Diaz's legitimate goal), they faced Bournemouth, Brentford, Luton, Crystal Palace, Sheff United, Fulham and Burnley in their opening ten games.

On 06/05/2024 at 10:09, The_Steve said:

I do like Ange, but I don't think defensively Spurs have the aptitude for it, and it's frustrating him. Hence his ambivalence about where they finish. Spurs need an overhaul still. Vicario has been a very good signing for them, and kept them in many games, but he's dropped off a little as the season progressed.

For Johnson's cost and PL experience, 5G and 8A, is decent, but for £47.5m you might expect a little more. Maddison also hasn't kept himself fit, only managing 25 appearances for £40m with just 4G and 7A to his name. That's almost £90m on talent who scored fewer than ten goals, but chipped in with decent assist figures.

van De Ven I think was good business, but the other Spurs defenders just aren't very good. It's too early to see on Dragusin - who wasn't cheap either at £26.7m.

The fixture list did favour Spurs early on as outside of United (2-0 win), Arsenal (draw) and Liverpool (a game they should have not won but did due to VAR ruling out Diaz's legitimate goal), they faced Bournemouth, Brentford, Luton, Crystal Palace, Sheff United, Fulham and Burnley in their opening ten games.

I might be wrong, I don't know the exact numbers, but hasn't he always dropped off in the second half of the season? Whether through injuries, form, fitness? I don't really rate him anyway, but there's not a day in a million years where he's worth £90m

On 06/05/2024 at 10:09, The_Steve said:

This is key info that gets glossed over when talking about how 'amazing' Spurs were in the first 10 games: 6 wins against very bad teams (Bournemouth were second bottom at the time) that let them play pure Angeball, a draw against Brentford that could have been a defeat, a win against a mediocre Man United that could have been a draw, a win against Liverpool that SHOULD have been a draw at best, and a hard-fought 2-2 with Arsenal. The fixture list early on was very kind (and is being balanced out by a really tough run-in).

I think there's a case also to say that Spurs under Ange are flat-track bullies:

Tottenham: Points against teams in the top 14: 31/75 (1.24 ppg) Bottom 6: 28/30 (2.8 ppg) 

For comparison:

Villa: Points against teams in the top 14: 41/75 (1.64 ppg) Bottom 6: 32/36 (2.67 ppg)

Most of the games that they've won in the second half of the season have been in situations where the opposition allows them space to play on the counter or through the middle of the defence. Which is happening less and less as teams work out that they are incapable of creating much if you sit in two banks of four and wait for them to cough up the ball.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Loudest I've heard him talk too 😂

It’s a great interview. He also said any fans who want them to lose tonight need counselling. 

whle i pretty much agree with the principle of most things he says, its one of those scenarios where if you are doing well fans lap it up as genuine, open, honest, holding the club to account and high standards etc etc.

But if its going badly, the fans can get disgruntled with that kinda talk fast.

double edged sword i guess.

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

whle i pretty much agree with the principle of most things he says, its one of those scenarios where if you are doing well fans lap it up as genuine, open, honest, holding the club to account and high standards etc etc.

But if its going badly, the fans can get disgruntled with that kinda talk fast.

double edged sword i guess.

Problem is that Spurs still have a slight chance of Champions League and the mentality is very small time. If Spurs were mid table I dont think be as big an issue

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

You'd think that would make his approach more pragmatic and less gung-ho....

I agree. I think he’s probably a little flustered and frustrated with some of the fans calling for him to go. It could get uglier if they don’t start well next season either. They won't have the same fixture list help in the opening 10 games like this year. 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

One of my pet hates is when journalists ask a stupidly long question like that. 

So glad it's not just me. The question normally has the answer in it as well if they go on for long enough. It gives the interviewee nowhere to go.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Straggler said:

So glad it's not just me. The question normally has the answer in it as well if they go on for long enough. It gives the interviewee nowhere to go.

I would just respond with 1 word and comment there was no time left after waiting so long for the journalist to finish :D 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

I would just respond with 1 word and comment there was no time left after waiting so long for the journalist to finish :D 

Mate

• Haha 1

Â